Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini motos ?

Options
  • 04-05-2005 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I'm sure you've all seen the mini moto's that you can pick up for a few hundred euro. I think they have about 50cc of power and are about 18 inches tall.
    I was thinking of getting one for the brothers birthday, but what would be the insurance / road tax implications of owning one of these ?

Obviously he wouldn't be driving it on public roads as it just wouldn't be safe...strictly driveway / go karttrack use.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I got one of these last week. You don't need insurance or tax on them.I'd recommend getting protective(sp?) padding to, because if you do fall off, and I have, it can be pretty painfull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Hey Santa! :D

Your brother won't have to worry about paying road tax or insurance as these mini-motos are not road legal.

They can not be driven on a public road at all, much like i can't drive an f1 car to the shops... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

If it's on private land you don't need insurance or road tax.
    Doesn't mean you won't be sued if there's an injury :(

I'm not certain that they are 'not road legal'. AlienGav, do you know why they aren't road legal? :confused:

But even if they are road legal then to take it on the road you would need road tax, insurance, and a proper licence - maybe an M, if not then an A1 (or an A) would be needed.

great little machines though - for young and old :D
    causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Oh god, those things are so obnoxious. There are two of them in our apartment complex, and they race each other up and down in front of my apartment at about 8mph. They're really loud and sound like barbecued baked beans.

If you do get one, please be considerate of other people's ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

AFAIK for them to be road legal they would need a minnimum head light, tail light and indicators. I dont there is a tax category for them and damned if you could find and insurance company to actually cover you on one of them.

Then there is the practical side of it, would you seriously drive one on the road when you are sitting that low? These machines are designed to be used on tracks and private events and not on the road. They became popular over here when misguided parents decided to get their kids mini motorcycles for Christmas. They are for adults only, they might be small but they came move quick enough especially if it is someone small riding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

causal wrote:
    I'm not certain that they are 'not road legal'. AlienGav, do you know why they aren't road legal? :confused:
    To be road legal it must have EU type approval, in other words conform to a vast range of regulations such as lighting, brakes, noise, emissions, etc.
    In theory, at vast expense and with much modification, it might just be possible to get one through it, but what manufacturer would want to?
    The Honda Monkey bike is probably the smallest yoke you could reasonably get through the approval process - they're road legal.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement