Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VoIP Acronyms / Glossary

Options
  • 04-05-2005 5:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

(I was going to post this to the FAQ thread, but imho it will be easier to manage if it has it's own thread.)

I thought it'd be a good resource to have a place where all the acronyms used in VoIP are described.
    At this stage I've just put some of the obvious acronyms, but the plan is to exapnd the list and also briefly explain what each one means; so it will become a glossary.
    It would also be nice to have a hyperlink to a relevant URI with each entry, but we're not trying to be google either ;) .

ATA - Analogue Telephone Adapter
    FoIP - Fax Over Internet Protocol
    H.323
    IAX - Inter-Asterisk eXchange
    MEGACO - MEdia GAteway COntroller
    MGCP - Media Gateway Control Protocol
    SIP - Session Initiation Protocol
    SCCP - Skinny Client Control Protocol
    VoIP - Voice Over Internet Protocol

Please feel free to add your own contributions/corrections/suggestions to this list :)

causal

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

H.323
    ^
    I find whatis.com handy for explanations :)

New Item:
    The 076 area code is the new non-geographic area code for VoIP-based services in Ireland. Standard local call rates apply when calling this area code.

QoS - Quality Of Service

PSTN - Public Switched Telephone Network

POTS - Plain Old Telephone Service (basically same as PSTN)

Advertisement