Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on DJ software

• 04-05-2005 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi,

Could do with some advice. I usually mix using vinyl on my decks etc
    However, I am currently considering mixing using my pc and some DJ software to compile some demo CD's.

I have been pointed in the direction of Mixmeister Pro V6. Anyone using this or can recommend any alternatives.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

There's a thread that discusses Traktor software (although not specifically) you might find useful:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=239197&highlight=learn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i have tracktor studio 2, ijts grand, does pretty much what you need it to do, has a libary, lets you cross fade tracks, apply filters, kills, all that kind of stuff.

It only plays mp3's thou, so if you have wma files you'll need to convert them if you want them played. Also you'll need a flip hot soundcard cuz you need to set up left and right chanells on so you can hear whats on the headphones and whats coming in and stuff. Finally, if your going to use dj software live i'd get some kind of input device for it, something like a music keyboard or specific hardware for tractor because using a mouse is a nightmare to mix tracks, it can't work!! you can only click on the one thing at a time, its like a one armed dj!!

There is a program out there called Final Scratch also, i have never used it but its meant to be the business, costs about 500E i think, and its a software/hardware combo so you can't get a free trial! (much is the shame :( )

Tracktor and final scratch are both made by www.nativeinstruments.de
    You can get Ableton 3.0 to dj music thru a computer also, ableton is more of a sequencer thou for doing live stuff with samples. Pretty powerfull software all the same.

Hope this helps

oh yeah, you can use your vinly records with final scratch as well as mp3's, thats probably your best option if you want to go from playing records to mp3's from your computer back to records again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

How do you set up the pc so its like having a 2 channel mixer? ie. listen to one tune on headphones and have other tune playing through the speakers? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

So you want to be able to cue/preview one track in headphones while playing another track through the speakers?

For that, you would require 2 sound cards, - and software which supports two sound cards - such as the two programs I linked to above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Bard wrote:
    So you want to be able to cue/preview one track in headphones while playing another track through the speakers?

For that, you would require 2 sound cards, - and software which supports two sound cards - such as the two programs I linked to above.

Thanks, will hav a look into that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 idj

Thanks for the feedback.

I will check out the Traktor 2. Glad to see people a few others into the same scene.

I didnt realise what Finalscratch 2 was capable of. Seen it alright in some of the adverts for the dj superstores in the UK.

Have you see www.londoncalling2005.com

Are their any similar events held here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭zafa

traktor and a decent control surface (try the evolution uc33e for cheap and reliable control) is basically like using cd decks

also youll need a soundcard with 4 outputs on it to monitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I just want to ask a question Re Traktor 2. I have Audigy 2 and the normal soundcard built into my motherboard. How do I set up Traktor so I can hear deck B in my headphones and and deck A in the speakers. I've been messing around with it for ages and can't seem to figure it out. Someone mentioned you need 2 soundcards, how do u set the whole thing up?

Cheers!!

• Advertisement

I'm no expert but it would strike me as requiring two soundcards alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭2tel1

Traktor and a MIDI controller :)

stephen p wrote:
    I just want to ask a question Re Traktor 2. I have Audigy 2 and the normal soundcard built into my motherboard. How do I set up Traktor so I can hear deck B in my headphones and and deck A in the speakers. I've been messing around with it for ages and can't seem to figure it out. Someone mentioned you need 2 soundcards, how do u set the whole thing up?

Cheers!!

Yes I think you need two sound cards or four or more outputs. It wouldn't be too hard to set up if you read the instructions (or even some tutorials on the net) and put your mind to it.

I remember I used to hate CDs, until I seen and got CDJs. I then hated people who dj off a laptop. Soon I will have all :o

As long as you learn on Turntables or CDJs and can mix well, I think DJing from a laptop is great

2tel1 wrote:
    Yes I think you need two sound cards or four or more outputs. It wouldn't be too hard to set up if you read the instructions (or even some tutorials on the net) and put your mind to it.

I remember I used to hate CDs, until I seen and got CDJs. I then hated people who dj off a laptop. Soon I will have all :o

As long as you learn on Turntables or CDJs and can mix well, I think DJing from a laptop is great

Yea I just have to read the manual and get it all set up. I used to hate CD Djing too, then got myself a set of CDJ's and I'm finding it hard now even to play my vinyl, the CDJ's are the dogs bollo><!!!

how many outputs has your soundcard got?

youll need 4 line outs

i have two soundcards on my PC but i still couldn't it set up properly, the native instruments website is no help either.

stephen p wrote:
    Yea I just have to read the manual and get it all set up. I used to hate CD Djing too, then got myself a set of CDJ's and I'm finding it hard now even to play my vinyl, the CDJ's are the dogs bollo><!!!

Someone must know how to set up a monitor, or at least give you the "gist" of it. Try asking on the Traktor forums and let us know.

i have two soundcards on my PC but i still couldn't it set up properly, the native instruments website is no help either.

go into prefs and try something along the lines of outputs or audio

i havent got it on this machine but its extremely easy to do

zafa wrote:
    go into prefs and try something along the lines of outputs or audio

i havent got it on this machine but its extremely easy to do

yeah i've been into setup, and swithced about the audio settings where it asks for the left and right channels but it still won't work for me, i'd say its more a tech issue with my crap soundcards than with the setup of tracktor. i was tryin before to get my mixer plugged into the soundcards but after about a hour of attempting it i got a headache and feel into a coma! These type of things are never simple!! Shame

From the pic attached which option would be best to choose?

• Advertisement

stephen p wrote:

The sound blaster audigy one is the only one thats really standing out stephen.
    The rest just seem to be default drivers as far as i can tell.

What version of tracktor is that your using?
    How are you finding it?

How are you finding it?

It's Traktor 2, not sure what release tho!?! I'm finding it really good, if I could get the headphone thing sorted that is!!! If I plug my headphones into my other soundcard, should I hear the deck B in that if deck A is playing in the speakers?

How are you finding it?

Creative isn't a default driver is it?

stephen p wrote:
    If I plug my headphones into my other soundcard, should I hear the deck B in that if deck A is playing in the speakers?

Yeah, i'd hope so anyway! there are a few knoobs for cue just above the crossfader, you'd have to set them up also

I've never got it properly working thou, so your guess is as good as mine really.

2tel1 wrote:
    Creative isn't a default driver is it?

what i meant is the other options are the defaults for his motherboard

GOT IT!!!! I plugged my headphones into my rear audigy card... the same card that my speakers are coming out of, and the audio setup in traktor is as...see attached...

what i meant is the other options are the defaults for his motherboard

Right. Still think your best bet is on the Traktor forums!

it depends on the cards youre using

if theyre 2 crappy little pci cards for gaming and general use then theyll be an absolute nightmare with latency anyway so itll be impossible to get anything remotely usable from them

stephen p wrote:

asio, always asio

• Advertisement

stephen p wrote:
    GOT IT!!!! I plugged my headphones into my rear audigy card... the same card that my speakers are coming out of, and the audio setup in traktor is as...see attached...

All right good to see. I posted that last post before I read your message...

stephen p wrote:

but doesnt that just mean that deck 1 is coming out your speakers and deck 2 is coming your your earphones

thats not really any use at all, coz you wont be able to hear deck 2 on your main speakers once youve mixed it in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Yeah You Need A Soundcard With 4 Outputs / Or Preferably A Headphone Output To Be Able To Cue Up.
    You Can Also Split It Left (mono) & Right( Headphones - Mono) To Get Your Mix Together & Switch It Back When You Are Recording The Mix To A Wav File.
    Of Course If You Have A Laptop You'll Probably Need An External Soundcard.
    Hercules Dj Console Is A Nice Way Around This As It Is An External(usb) Soundcard With Headphone Socket & It Has A (very Basic ) Control Surface As Well.

Btw I Learned To Dj With 1210's But Usually Use CdS - WHEN I EVER GET A GIG !!I've yet to use a laptop to dj with but I Find That My "regular" Djing Skills Have Been Helped Rather Than Hindered By Using Traktor.

Out of interest...I can't see what the restrictions are for Tracktor's demo version.

What are they?
    Am I right in presuming your all using legit full copies?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It's a 30 day 60 minute per session trial, IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

demo version of traktor dj studio that i have doesnt allow you to save settings or mixes & only operates for 60 mins per session . it does allow you to create & analyse playlists etc stops working completely after 30 days.
    im only using the demo version & recording the mixes to minidisc as i do most of my stuff with ableton live & have the same problems cueing up on my laptop.strongly thinking of buying traktor though based on the demo which ive been messing with for months!!
    also if youre working on a pc you can get a limited version just called traktor DJ for €59 boxed or €39 download from native instruments.
    sadly this version is not available for mac :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

I use traktor and the onboard sound on my laptop. Mono out left and right into the mixer for two channels. New control surfaces being released which have all transport functions and you dont even need a mixer then.

its better with a mixer tho, more versatile and you can also use outboard stuff on the send and return

also, id prefer a professional quality preamped mixer than a straight out from a pc soundcard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

how does it work bush?
    looks interesting

same premise as final scratch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ye except it works :D

haha ah no ive never had any problems with fs when ive used it

i think its a matter of the machine youre using it on, coz ive heard horror stories about ss as well

Advertisement