Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodford area of Clondalkin ?

Options
  • 04-05-2005 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi,

I know there have been a few threads with this similar question but I am a little more specific : Woodford area in Clondalkin

I am looking into (maybe) buying a house in Clondalkin and I know that Monastery area is very nice an quiet but very pricey with prices of at least 330k for a 3 bed which I cannot afford :-((

Now only minutes walk from Monatery is Woodford, and there prices seems to be quite a lot cheaper 290-300 k.

Is this area nice?
    Also, what is the deal why the price difference ?
    Are those houses Coucil houses ?
    Is this a dodgy area ? Drugs, stolen car...

Anyone lives in the area ?
    Is it a NO GO area ?

Any feed back will be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

All houses are private there it used to be a not so nice area not near as bad as Neilstown or Bawnogue.There are 4 or 5 estates in that area (woodford, Monksfield, Yellow Meadows, Monastery gate and some new ones i dont know names of :D)

Tbh i would suggest driving to the shops there and loitering around for a while to see for yourself.

Nice area 5 mins walk from village bus to town and to Luas stops.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Monastery Rd area is expensive as the estates are older and some of the house are quite large. Woodford area is ok, yes there is the usual gang of neds hanging around the shops but I dont think it is a problem. As kdjac said, take a trip up there some evening and have a look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭leonlafrite

Thanks you both for the feedback, I actually did drive around and I was not too impressed, this is the reason why I am looking for xtra information.
    But do you think it is a safe area to raise Kids?
    Are you living in the area yourselves ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

I live in Castle Park which is very near to Woodford. Personally I wouldnt like my kids raised there. Floraville (opposite the library) is a nice estate if you find something in there. Monastery, Castle Park etc are a bit expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

floraville is dear, a house sold recently for 400 there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Yeah but isnt there a big difference in some of the houses up there. I know some of them arent that big. What about Monastery Gate? Doesnt seem too bad up there

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭leonlafrite

a 3 bed semi in monastery gate has sold Yesterday for 335 k and a 3 bed terraced is going for 330 k (so far) in monastery health square...
    I am getting worried about those prices ....I would have expected to have somewhat of a choice around the 300 k mark... :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I live in the Monastery... House prices r high here but u should see what can be done to the houses. My neighbours house sold about 6 months ago and the new neighbours are nealy finished their extension work. Orig a 3 bed house(1 upstairs, 2 down) its now a 4 bed house with 2 bathrooms upstairs(1 ensuite) and 1 bathroom downstairs. House is also getting a garage where the kitchen was, kithcen is now at the back of the house and the back garden is still huge. Its easily the nicest estate in clondalkin imo, its allot of money but its well worth it, u'd never leave. The only gripe i have is the insanely bad planning of clondalkin village. Traffic is a nightmare and with the huge growth of appartments and lack of road planning the traffic is only gonna get worse, allot worse...(on ave-bad day it can take 20-35mins for me to get to the naas road/m50, its a 7min walk)

Woodford has some good parts, going down the hill on the left seems to be the best place to get a house, the closer to monastery rd the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I live in Neilstown lovely area :D

Monastery gate is built on a graveyard now the bodies may have been removed but **** that would i buy a house built on a graveyard.
    Thought Monastery gate houses would be worth more than 335 tbh.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i never see the traffic problem as newlands is off the nass road and always wonder why it is so bad in clondalkin :D the rare time i go in :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 radarj

GStormcrow wrote:
    Yeah but isnt there a big difference in some of the houses up there. I know some of them arent that big. What about Monastery Gate? Doesnt seem too bad up there

You're wrong, I have alot of good friends that live in Floraville Avenue and their houses are extremely large, and houses there are valued 500+K presently. I used to live in the lower end of Castle Park, near the watery lane exit..and found my house there quite small... In my opinion Floraville Avenue/ Laurel Park would be one of the better estates on the Monastery RD, they're very mature, quiet and mainly older people reside in them,,, The Monastery estate itself 'especially around the green' can have some unsavory loiterers after dark occasionally ...but gererally, it is a very attractive mature estate... though i've heard some of the houses there (especially the dormers) have damp/structural issues.

The woodford area of Clondalkin is ok - the houses are mainly terraced and on the small side - If I were you i'd try and get one in the Woodford Park Road/Woodford lawn - nice newish Semi Detached houses there... anything on Monastery Rd (as you know) is very dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

lol.. blast from the past.. 2 1/2 yr old thread.. must have been digging for a while there... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Rocketeer

Interesting to read this thread and compare with prices now

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anto1994

I am sorry to say the woodford villas area is at its worse ,, i grew up here when it was a nice estate but now its at its worse there is heroin addicts in the estate that have caused harm to elderly an young people , not long ago somebody was shot just at the corner and another shootin just 2 minutes round the corner ,, i have moved from this area because crack cocaine and heroin have took over the youth i am ashamed to say i grew up there!! ,, But monastry estate is lovely an prices have droped:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

It's crazy reading the prices from 2005.
    I feel sorry for those who paid 3/400k+ for houses worth half that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JEN1977

WOW different prices now :eek:

Advertisement