Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zonealarm & Online Games & Pings :(

Options
  • 04-05-2005 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

I have mentioned this in the Broadband forums and thought I would put a thread here aswell because others might have had or be having the same problem .

I recently upgraded my Zonealarm , around the same time as the upgrade to the Broadband packages , then went on for about two weeks with bad pings , blaming it on the upgrades to the bb . After going through it with Support and they reckoning that all was ok on their end , I tried my conn without the Firewall and hey presto pings fixed . So on my harddrive I found an older ver of ZA , installed that and off I went problem free .

Last weekend , formatted the HD and started afresh , with my new sata HD and a ethernet modem that I bought here on boards . New xp pro upand running , sp1 & 2 and then started d/ling my spybot adaware and ZA , thinking this was a newer ver and any problems with it would have been addressed . Later on installed my games and tried them out ... no problems there . As the days went on my pings seemed to climb or spike in the evenings and once again I started going through all the usual checks , dos pings and tracerts......funny that these all seemed ok , dos pings of 45/50 to jolt and so on , but in game it was all over the place and then later on around 12 it would settle down . Never thought it could be the ZA again as why would it work grand at one time and not at another . Last night I was so pi$$3d off with it and giving it the old " woe is me " treatment as a final resort I tried unstalling ZA......huh? my ping is ok again ?........all night.....even though 5 minutes ago it was crap . Went searching the net and found an older ver of ZA installed it and no problems . Happy days !

So if anyone else is experiencing odd ping behaviour or has done and is using ZA , maybe try unstalling it . If anyone else has read about this elsewhere they might let me know .

Story over , see ye online , check out my ping ....** Hail to the King..baby ** ( thats a quote for the older gamers on here who might remember )

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160.html

Use Sygate, free and works.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

D/led , will hold onto it but this ver of ZA is working fine for now

Thanks for that .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Zone Alarm is a pain in the ass. It doesnt fully uninstall itself. Ive heard of people uninstalling it but the PC still thinks its installed and running due to dodgy registry keys left behind. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yes indeed Sygate is the gamers friend, Zone Alarm the gamers enemy but the media love it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I use sygate Jonski without any problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement