Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pda + Gprs

Options
  • 04-05-2005 10:39am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Have any of you had any developemnet experience of developement with PDA's on Windows CE in relation to GPRS?

We are looking to convert old RF handhelds wrote in VB with clipper backend to a .NET app, SQL Server, on Windows CE.

We have looked at wireless but its limitation of 75m and costs on cabling, access points, electric points etc have doubted our managements idea of changing as the costs would have to passed onto the customer and that may not go well.

So GPRS was mentioned, BTW the PDA's are actual handhelds used in shops for scanning and stock control.
    So would GPRS be a more economical option than wifi??

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I know it's a stupid question but.. you have checked that you get GPRS reception in all desired areas ? I don't know how you check that you get signals from more than one mast or if that's essential for triangulation, but it's something else you might need to look into.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I know it's a stupid question but.. you have checked that you get GPRS reception in all desired areas ? I don't know how you check that you get signals from more than one mast or if that's essential for triangulation, but it's something else you might need to look into.

To be honest lad, I have been very lazy and done no research, I am working on something else at the moment, said I would fire it up here and see what ye thought.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I cannt imagine GPRS would ever be a cheaper option then WiFi if its a fixed indoor and or small out door area. If its anywhere in the country outdoors then GPRS is probably your only option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I don't know how you check that you get signals from more than one mast or if that's essential for triangulation, but it's something else you might need to look into.

Where are you getting triangulation from?? :confused:

Advertisement