Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car insurance question

Options
  • 04-05-2005 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

are insurance companies obliged to pay the insured and not a specific garage in the case of a claim against his own policy on a comprehensive policy where the insured prefers to receive the money rather than have a particular garage repair it?any experiances recently?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

yno

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Don't think so.

Have dealt with a good few claims on company vehicles, and sometimes they send a cheque to us, and sometimes to the garage.

I think they can pick the garage as long as it is an authorised repair shop for your car, and they use new original parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

Insurance is there to put into the financial position you enjoyed immediately before the insured incident. This may include financial compensation for losses which are not easily calculated such as inconvenience & emotional pain etc. So on that basis, they are fulfilling theor duty to you, regardless of whether you receive the money or the thrid party does.

However, i would imagine that as the insured, (the person paying and covered by the policy) i am sure you might have some consumer rights. Your policy wording may say that the insurer can choose the mechanic, repairer, dealer etc. Similarly with travel insurance, thay may choose the hospital, clinic, doctor etc.

Advertisement