Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what do you think of this car?

Options
  • 04-05-2005 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just want to know what ye'd think of this car:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=215988

I need to trade up from my 94 corolla. Seems like a nice looking car.

There's no real service history because it's a jap import. Will this be a problem getting parts for it later on?

What do you think of the price?

any other info would be appreciated,

Thanks,
    Martin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I thought €3000 was a bit high, but it is a 1.5 engine, so maybe its fairly reasonable, now that I think about it. Seems a nice enough car though, Im really not sure regards parts. Get a good mechanic to look over it, if all looks well, then it seems like a good enough buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Seems like alot of milage for a petrol....I would think you will have alot of problems in the near future with parts....had a 1.6 Petrol and after 100k-110k everything started to go..e.g. clutch, gear box and so on.....Petrol harder on an engine....Diesel engine this would be low.....my 2 cent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

the air con is nice though. in some cars this costs almost 2 grand. u can tell if a car is mechanically ok if u know what u are looking for. stear clear if u dont though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Big Nelly wrote:
    Seems like alot of milage for a petrol....I would think you will have alot of problems in the near future with parts....had a 1.6 Petrol and after 100k-110k everything started to go..e.g. clutch, gear box and so on.....Petrol harder on an engine....Diesel engine this would be low.....my 2 cent

I wouldn't be put off by 90000 miles, i have recently bought a golf mk3 with 93000, and while in the process of looking i came across cars with over 150000 miles on a 1.4 petrol, and stiill running smooth and quiet. As long as the car has been well maintaned there shouldn't be any problem.

If the car looks sound and everything checks out, i'd say go for it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

PaulKK wrote:
    I wouldn't be put off by 90000 miles, i have recently bought a golf mk3 with 93000, and while in the process of looking i came across cars with over 150000 miles on a 1.4 petrol, and stiill running smooth and quiet. As long as the car has been well maintaned there shouldn't be any problem.

If the car looks sound and everything checks out, i'd say go for it.;)

Did you get it checked over by mechanic? this would have to be a must....what sort of warrenty is with the car? if 6 months then you will probably find out any problems in that time if you are doing a good bit of milage.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Hmmm I dont know much about cars but I was told that when buying a 2nd hand car, try to avoid high mileage and if you can go for one that has only 1 owner.

Also there is an element of risk buying from a private seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hey guys,

Just want to know what ye'd think of this car:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=215988

I need to trade up from my 94 corolla. Seems like a nice looking car.

There's no real service history because it's a jap import. Will this be a problem getting parts for it later on?

What do you think of the price?

any other info would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Martin

The odometer on Jap imports is callibrated in kilometers, are you sure it is not 95,000 km on the clock? If so it is not that high, even 95k miles is not a problem for a Jap car as long as it has been regularly serviced. Best thing to do is bring a mechanic with you.

I would expect to knock a few hundred euros off that asking price. If you are not trading the Corolla in part exchange for it I would offer him around €500 less than he is asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Big Nelly wrote:
    Did you get it checked over by mechanic? this would have to be a must....what sort of warrenty is with the car? if 6 months then you will probably find out any problems in that time if you are doing a good bit of milage.......

My father is pretty handy and looked over it and it all checked out. Bought it private from a guy near me. Timing was done at 80k and nct the week before i bought it. its only my first car, and it wasn't much money, won't be doing a whole lot of mileage ;) .

Sorry for going off topic.

The jap cars have a reputation for withsatnding high milage though, my uncle put up over 250000 on his petrol corolla, and the mazda's wouldn't be too far behind them. :)

Advertisement