Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance companies are cnuts, part 413!!

Options
  • 04-05-2005 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I'm beginning to understand why people drive with no insurance, ****ing insurance companies seem to be trying to encourage it!!

Car broke down yesterday evening, pain in the arse, but not the end of the world as I have another one. Trouble is, it hasn't been on the road yet (recent import). No problem, says I to myself, I'll just ring and do a permanent substitution to the newer car (the one that's not broken) of my existing policy.

Oh no, I can't do that until I have the NCT certificate, says insurance broker drone. Er, don't have one yet as the car is new on the road., says I. Well, that's the rule, says she, insurance company won't cover it because of the age of the car (it's a 91) without an NCT cert. Would you like to tell me how I'm supposed to drive it to an NCT centre if I can't insure it? I enquired. Err...., she replied.

I absolutely, completely and utterly despise ****ing insurace companies with a passion and intensity that will burn long after we run out of oil!!!!!

Anyone any suggestions as to what to do next? I need to get this car on the road ASAP.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Try First Ireland.

They insured me on a car that hadn't even arrived in the country.
    No reg number, no tax, no chassis number - nothin'!

G'luck

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you need to get it to the NCT centre, you'll have to get someone else to drive it, who has open drive. Your open drive (or your spouses) won't cover you on the car because it belongs to you.

I'm not sure if all insurance companies require an NCT cert to insure you. Have you rang around?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Haven't rung around, no, because there's still six months to go on my existing policy. Tempted to move it just to spite the tossers, but that would probably cost me more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

name and shame the broker, is it possible you just got through to an inempt employee?

Top Quote Direct.

This is the second time they've fcuked me around with this car. They told me I couldn't do a second temporary substitution off the chassis number so I could drive the car to the VRT office to get it re-registered (because I hadn't been able to re-reg it the first time I brought it there and needed to go back).

They were helpful enough to send me a reminder every other day (literally) for the €15 I owed them for the first temporary substitution, though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

seamus wrote:
    If you need to get it to the NCT centre, you'll have to get someone else to drive it, who has open drive. Your open drive (or your spouses) won't cover you on the car because it belongs to you.

I'm not sure if all insurance companies require an NCT cert to insure you. Have you rang around?

I don't think a driver with open drive is insured either. Doesn't there have to be a valid insurance policy on the car aswell?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@Prospect - this was discussed recently and it depends on the policy - mine doesn't stipulate anything about it being insured.

WRT the company not insuring the car without an NCT - while I despise them as much as anyone else, they are sticking to the law on this one! If they bent laws in other areas we would be quick to jump on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

prospect wrote:
    I don't think a driver with open drive is insured either. Doesn't there have to be a valid insurance policy on the car aswell?
    Hmmm, I can drive any car with 3rd party but there is a stipulation that it must be insured.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

You're right kbannon, i forgot about that one...

MrPudding wrote:
    Hmmm, I can drive any car with 3rd party but there is a stipulation that it must be insured.

MrP

Exactly Mr Pudding, My policy says i can drive any car with third party. But the car must be insured under someone elses policy!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

regarding cancelling the policy, i did this because my previous insurance company annoyed me so much. As far as i know they are obliged to give you a pro rata refund, similar to if you change to a cheaper to insure car. Don't let the six months thing stop you. Screw them in my opinion, there are plenty of other companies more than willing to take your money off you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

prospect wrote:

it does....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

From time to time I change cars and never been asked about NCT, I only give the reg number and name and engine of the car, usually takes few minutes of a phone call and insurance transfered before I put the phone down.
    Change your insurer, feck them :D

kbannon wrote:
    WRT the company not insuring the car without an NCT - while I despise them as much as anyone else, they are sticking to the law on this one! If they bent laws in other areas we would be quick to jump on them!
    This is the same law that the tax office ignore and the cops don't enforce, right? We're relying on private companies for our morality now?

I wouldn't dream of asking them to compromise their obviously very important principles, but a little common sense i.e. a grace period to give me a chance to NCT the car if they're that worried, wouldn't mean they'll burn forever in hell, would it (no, there are other reasons for that!)? Are these bastions of morality going to refund me while I'm insuring a car that isn't on the road, because they won't transfer the policy? Are they fcuk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

edmund_f wrote:
    regarding cancelling the policy, i did this because my previous insurance company annoyed me so much. As far as i know they are obliged to give you a pro rata refund, similar to if you change to a cheaper to insure car. Don't let the six months thing stop you. Screw them in my opinion, there are plenty of other companies more than willing to take your money off you.
    Depends on the insurance company, I vaguly remember one of the terms of my insurance policy is that if I cancel my policy in the first year they would impose a penalty. Not sure how much that penalty would have been though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

i have a 1986 mini which has not been on the road in a few years, not since i bought it anyways. I rang hibernian who i have my focus insured with to transferr my insurance to the mini for a few hours so i could move it to a garage to get some stuff done before the nct. They would not let me transferr the insurance as it was not nct'd.
    I asked how was i to get it nct'd if i could not drive it. They had 2 suggestions for me - get someone else who has open driving or "drive other cars" to drive it, or to transferr the mini into a family members name and drive it using the "drive other cars" on my own policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

blastman wrote:
    I'm beginning to understand why people drive with no insurance, ****ing insurance companies seem to be trying to encourage it!!

Car broke down yesterday evening, pain in the arse, but not the end of the world as I have another one. Trouble is, it hasn't been on the road yet (recent import). No problem, says I to myself, I'll just ring and do a permanent substitution to the newer car (the one that's not broken) of my existing policy.

Oh no, I can't do that until I have the NCT certificate, says insurance broker drone. Er, don't have one yet as the car is new on the road., says I. Well, that's the rule, says she, insurance company won't cover it because of the age of the car (it's a 91) without an NCT cert. Would you like to tell me how I'm supposed to drive it to an NCT centre if I can't insure it? I enquired. Err...., she replied.

I absolutely, completely and utterly despise ****ing insurace companies with a passion and intensity that will burn long after we run out of oil!!!!!

Anyone any suggestions as to what to do next? I need to get this car on the road ASAP.

Drive it carefully and if the guards stop you the insurance disc is in the post!

Gegerty wrote:
    Drive it carefully and if the guards stop you the insurance disc is in the post!
    what does he say if another car stops him in an accident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

kbannon wrote:
    what does he say if another car stops him in an accident?

Emm something like I'll give you 3 Ben Folds Five tickets if you do this outside insurance :p

podgeen, guess which insurance company I'm with?

Thinking that changing company is the best option, the lot I'm with now aren't even the cheapest quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

It's amazing to me that there still is no streamlined system for dealing with these matters in this country. I recently bought a car that was off the road and therefore needed three things: an insurance disc, a tax disc and an NCT cert. Can't get the tax disc without insurance. Can't get insurance without the NCT. Can't get to the NCT without insurance and tax disc. So the whole thing is dependent on the insurance company being willing to insure you without the NCT.

Mine was. Try Britton Insurance in Donegal. I just posted the NCT cert to them today, a little over a week after they insured me on the car.

• Advertisement

Is that right about needing tax and insurance for the NCT? Particularly insurance? Nice little Catch 22 situation, if so :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

blastman wrote:
    Is that right about needing tax and insurance for the NCT? Particularly insurance? Nice little Catch 22 situation, if so :mad:

I'm not sure that they check it. But you obviously need both in order to get your car to the NCT centre (legally) as you pointed out in your original post.

The NCT does not check either tax or insurance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It seems that the NCT is a totally unenforceable item, seeing as the Gardai don't give 2 flying f***s about it. it only seems to survive on the idea of fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

I had the same problem with my insurance comp last year.
    I bought a car with no nct and they wouldn't insure it as it wasn't nct'd,i don't even have to name these bunch of morons as i'm sure every one has had some form of trouble with them ;)
    I had to get a mechanic to bring it for the nct for me.

Gary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Does any one know if there has ever been prosecutions for no nct? I am curious to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Bond-007 wrote:
    Does any one know if there has ever been prosecutions for no nct? I am curious to know.

never heard of one for just not having a nct , have seen it added to a list of charages ie. driving without tax , insurance or nct while drunk..

also they can use if a faulty car leads to a crash.. ie. your faulty breaks caused the crash... and you have no nct so its your fault...

UPSHOT OF EVENTS:

One cancelled insurance policy with Top Quote/Hibernian. New policy purchased from Quinn Direct for €200 less than last September's renewal. Screw 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

blastman wrote:
    UPSHOT OF EVENTS:

One cancelled insurance policy with Top Quote/Hibernian. New policy purchased from Quinn Direct for €200 less than last September's renewal. Screw 'em!

Nicely done my good maun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

If the car is older than 10 years i didn't think quinn direct would insure it without an nct cert or has that changed?

Gary

Advertisement