Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop

Options
  • 04-05-2005 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

Whats up with Gamestop, they have never had the RE4 Gamecube bundle in stock, they never heard of Guild wars, and they dont honour reserves they seem ****e

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I use them on a daily basis, got no quibbles with them to be honest, great store....imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

They didn't have wow until about 6-8 weeks after release either but otherwise they seem like a decent store even if some of the staff are clueless.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

yeah but how could the staff never have heard of Guild wars, I had to spell guild 3 times for god sake !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The good advice dispenser says: 'Don't bother with the high street muppets and get or 'borrow' someones credit card and buy online'.

It was the same story in smiths. Went into the game area looking for wow. No sign of it. Asked the guy at the games counter if they had wow in stock. He said what. I replied do you have world of warcraft on the pc in stock. He said world of what. After me repeating it about 3 times he said he never heard of it and looked it up on the computer then told me it wasn't out for another few weeks even though it had been out 3 weeks at this stage. Where do they get these muppets?

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They had WoW today. Some guy in front of me bought it.

Edit - Gamestop in Liffey Street that is.

Ah I have it already but thanks anyway.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I bought wow online and a second copy free. Theres a lesson there... I think :confused:

BloodBath wrote:
    It was the same story in smiths. Went into the game area looking for wow. No sign of it. Asked the guy at the games counter if they had wow in stock. He said what. I replied do you have world of warcraft on the pc in stock. He said world of what. After me repeating it about 3 times he said he never heard of it and looked it up on the computer then told me it wasn't out for another few weeks even though it had been out 3 weeks at this stage. Where do they get these muppets?

BloodBath

How could he work in a games shop and have never heard WoW, even my girlfriend heard of WoW (thats the one with the monsters, er yeah)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Gizzard wrote:
    I had to spell guild 3 times for god sake !

L O L!

I was walking around town yesterday and I can't believe how people still use real shops for games(and music for that matter... HMV have replaced their dance section with a metal section FFS!)

... the selection is crap, honestly, just have a wander around your local games shop... try to compare the number of games you've heard of to the number released, if you can find any good rlevant games that you might want to buy that is, Who makes all of these random games and why don't they tell us about them and even more importantly why do they think we'd want to buy them???

Anyway, crap selection, rip-off prices, old GBA games being sold at new-prices, staff who come across as social rejects and second hand games are taking over the whole place!!

Lads, do yourselves a favour and go online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

BloodBath wrote:

BloodBath

Its crazy to be honest, ive asked numerous times in my local smyths and gamestop, why do they stock world of warcraft and not the pre-paid game cards for the game, gamestop said its against store policy to stock them I mean WTF, today smyths told me theyve had loads of customers asking for the pre paid cards, but they still dont bother there arses stocking them

Shin

Thank god, in general, the staff in my local Gamestop are big computer people, who actually have an interest in what they do.....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

shinzon wrote:
    Its crazy to be honest, ive asked numerous times in my local smyths and gamestop, why do they stock world of warcraft and not the pre-paid game cards for the game, gamestop said its against store policy to stock them I mean WTF, today smyths told me theyve had loads of customers asking for the pre paid cards, but they still dont bother there arses stocking them

Shin
    You can get the pre-paid cards in GAME, it's €29.99 for a 60-day card. We just got more in stock yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭kazaam

Guild wars? maybe if u asked for a half decent game they might know what u mean... game stop is a great store... prices as good if not better than all the local competitors... get a life rather than bitchin bout not bein able to find guild wars in a shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Thank god, in general, the staff in my local Gamestop are big computer people, who actually have an interest in what they do.....

:)
    they even had a cute chick working there last year... :) (Galway branch)

unfortunately she doesn't seem to work there anymore, so that's my only reason for choosing gamestop over smyths gone.
    the gamecube section has pretty much disappeared, and a lot of preowned games are insanely overpriced (battle engine aquila for €45???!).
    presuming i get my credit card before Killer 7 comes out, there's no way i'm setting foot in there again.
    kazaam wrote:
    Guild wars? maybe if u asked for a half decent game they might know what u mean... game stop is a great store... prices as good if not better than all the local competitors... get a life rather than bitchin bout not bein able to find guild wars in a shop
    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914653.asp
    looks decent to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've heard (a comment from a customer today) that GameStop are pulling GameCube altogether?
    Anyone else heard that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

it wouldnt be much of a surprise if they did.

the ones in dublin city centre never really had much shelf space for the gamecube games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hi, I work in GameStop on Henry Street and I'd like to clean up a few things.

Resi 4 GameCube bundle: As much as it pains me to say it, the GameCube is a dead console, with only a handful of games being released on it this year. As great a console as it is, almost everybody who wants one now has one and it just doesn't make sense to stock such an expensive bundle. I'll point out though that you could pick up a pre-owned GameCube for less than €50 with Resident Evil.

Not knowing about Guild Wars: Looking at the release schedule, there are literally hundreds of games coming out over the next few months, and in any given week we can often see up to and above ten new games being released. That's a huge amount of games to keep track of, and nobody can be expected to keep up to date on everything. Every single staff member I've come into contact with in the company, right the way to the very top, is an avid gamer and we try to keep up to date on games not because it's our job, but because it's our hobby.

My apologies for not keeping up to date on yet another generic Tolkein-esque MMORPG that has received little or no press outside the game-starved PC format press. Like it or not, it's a niche genre, and not even the biggest games in genre, so I think it's understandable that staff may not be knowledgable about it.

Not honouring reserves: If you put as little as €1 down to reserve a copy of a game, we will reserve it for you. It's booked off on the system and cannot be physically sold without getting your account details. As soon as the game in question arrives, we count out the pre-bookings and set them to one side, ensuring they'll be there to be collected. Gizzard, can you elaborate on your problem?

Not having WoW at 'launch': The WoW launch was a bit of a shambles by the publishers. They didn't increase the server capacity for what was already a hugely crowded and popular game before their first go at a European launch, and after this launch, they had to pull the game because the servers couldn't cope. Some of the UK chains still sold WoW, GameStop held back until the game was relaunched to avoid selling customers a game that, in a lot of cases, would be unplayable until the relaunch anyway.

WoW Pre-paid cards: There's little point in selling pre-paid cards at the moment while most people are still using their free trials. Pre-paid cards will be arriving in the next week or so.

GameCube section: We still get in almost every single release. These days though, that accounts for one game every few weeks. It's losing shelf space all the time however, a the PS2 and XBox library swells and swells, not to mention the launch of the DS. Preowned prices vary depending on the demand for the game, not the age of the game. So you'll see Paper Mario 2 going for €40, while Batman Vengeance goes for €2.

So, there you go. Any other questions or comments and I'll try to answer them as best I can.

they even had a cute chick working there last year... (Galway branch)

If you are talking about the small(ish) one with the red (ish) colour hair, I hadn't seen her in ages but she resurfaced again, saw her there the last day when I was buying a few DVD's.

Cute isn't the word. :p

If you are talking about the small(ish) one with the red (ish) colour hair, I hadn't seen her in ages but she resurfaced again, saw her there the last day when I was buying a few DVD's.

the gamecube section has pretty much disappeared, and a lot of preowned games are insanely overpriced (battle engine aquila for €45???!).

I find them great for pre owned GBA games though, and DVD's. DVDs recently, nearly all preowned ones 4.99 each.

Games vary hugely, someone are brutally priced, some are very good. I think the problem is they tend to not update enough with regards to quantities of trade ins and new prices for older titles - eg I saw 2 Vietcongs in there when I bought it, 1 was 16.99, another was 44.99.

Overall though, I found them reasonably ok. If its cube games your after, GAME have fantastic ones preowned. loads for 9.99 each, buy one, get one half price.

I also saw Turok Evolutions there for 4.97 preowned. Not a great game but worth it at that price!

• Advertisement

Not having WoW at 'launch': The WoW launch was a bit of a shambles by the publishers. They didn't increase the server capacity for what was already a hugely crowded and popular game before their first go at a European launch, and after this launch, they had to pull the game because the servers couldn't cope. Some of the UK chains still sold WoW, GameStop held back until the game was relaunched to avoid selling customers a game that, in a lot of cases, would be unplayable until the relaunch anyway.

Ok no offense but that's complete BS. The European servers are completely seperate to the US ones so at launch these servers were empty and took a few weeks to fill to the stage where Blizzard held back shipmentss until they got new servers up which was the right thing to do. Ye didn't have the biggest pc game of the year at launch before the servers filled.
    WoW Pre-paid cards: There's little point in selling pre-paid cards at the moment while most people are still using their free trials. Pre-paid cards will be arriving in the next week or so.

The game is out more than 2 months. The free trial is one month. Good to hear your getting the cards in though.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

I hope that means all gamestop stores will be stocking the cards and not just your branch

Shin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Shelf space in game shops is a very valuable commodity, PC software by and large is a huge amount of space given over to not very lucrative stock, and with the volume of stuff being released its hard for everyone to keep up.
    Its obvious that some folk who have been hanging on the pc medias every report will be straining at the leash to but WoW, but the distributors and publishers are a strange shower and can keep the poor Gamestop warehouse staff waiting for ages for orders to be filled.(poor john, its a wonder he has any hair left at all!).
    As for staff being ill informed, its very hard to keep up to date with every release on every system, and having worked in Gamesworld myself, gamefans do not necessarily make great staff, nope, a decent general knowledge is much better, but folk just get annoyed when their particular gaming fetish is not known in every detail by the minion behind the counter.
    I wonder if many of you remember what game stores were like before Gamesworld/Gamestop were around and you did your games purchases in Easons or HMV or worse Goldendiscs.

Far better money to sell PS2 and Xbox stock, better return for space taken up on shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Aye, she's hot, cool chick too, nice and friendly.
    You ever see the (slightly) asian chick who works there? She's 'Great People™' smile.gif

BloodBath wrote:
    Ok no offense but that's complete BS. The European servers are completely seperate to the US ones so at launch these servers were empty and took a few weeks to fill to the stage where Blizzard held back shipmentss until they got new servers up which was the right thing to do. Ye didn't have the biggest pc game of the year at launch before the servers filled.

BloodBath

It's not bull****. Blizzard flooded the market with WoW in Febuary and didn't have the server space to cope. They then pulled stock back and nobody got any new stock until the relaunch on the 15th of April, by which time they had sorted the servers out.

It's not bull****. Blizzard flooded the market with WoW in Febuary and didn't have the server space to cope. They then pulled stock back and nobody got any new stock until the relaunch on the 15th of April, by which time they had sorted the servers out.

Game had WoW in stock on release day, its lame gamestop did not, just to clarify the Euro lanuch of WoW went very smoothly, they did the right thing curtailing the supply of WoW after the initial launch batch

Now that I remember I preordered EQ2 in gamestop to have it on launch also, of course they did not have it, game did, once again lame

If they flooded the market why did gamestop not have a single copy when the game was released?

BloodBath

BloodBath wrote:
    If they flooded the market why did gamestop not have a single copy when the game was released?

BloodBath

Because VU attempted to pull copies of the game, and Irish retailers were among those hit. WoW was only available in large UK-based chains like Game and HMV.

BloodBath wrote:

BloodBath

because gamestop are ****e

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Gamestop are ****e, wow! what a wonderfully well thought out reposte, man you must be the toast of all the best parties with smart and witty comments like that, why not read the comment by the Gamestop employee and shut the hell up.

Advertisement