Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anfield

• 04-05-2005 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

What can i say that already has not been said about it.
    Except that it's the unsung hero of Liverpools CL run.

Did it suck Luis Garcia's shot over the line last night?
    Did it prevent Gudjohnsens 95Minute shot from driving it's owners into deep depression?
    The noise - the power - the history - the love - the amazing effect that she has.
    Love Liverpool or hate them is beside the point.
    I'm just paying homage to it's beauty in a world of corporate glass bowls.
    Liverpool should never turn it's back on her for the sake of a businessmans greed

Post match Jose Mourinho....
    "I felt the power of Anfield, it was magnificent."

Anfield

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

great post :D:D:D:D:D
    we certainly did the business last night. i've never felt anythin like the atmosphere inside the ground. somethin which can only be bettered by when we go to istanbul!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

did anyone see Obramovich pass a cheque with 6 zero's on it to the 4th official at the 89th minute? One for every min of extra time.. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lex Luthor wrote:
    did anyone see Obramovich pass a cheque with 6 zero's on it to the 4th official at the 89th minute? One for every min of extra time.. :p

6 subsitutions and 2 pitch invasions is a more likely reason for 6 minutes of extra tbh.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Anfield, by the same token, can be deathly quiet during some Premiership games. I suppose it all depends on the context of the game being played and sometimes the performance of the team.

When Liverpool move to their new stadium will they be able to retain the atmosphere that has made Anfield such a special place to be on European nights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ardent wrote:
    can be deathly quiet during some Premiership games.

All PL grounds i been in fall under that, unless its a special occasion ie night game with local fans at it.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

It's true to say that retaining the atmosphere will be almost impossible
    Anyone know of a move protest petition - i'd like to put my name to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I don't really see what it has to do with Anfield (not completely anyway). On the quiet days the whole place isn't generating noise and then on the better days there is a lot of noise generated my the KOP, last night everyone in there was determined to make noise and they succeded, I think it is more to do with the fans then the building.

In the last 20 years (less even) the KOP has been rebuilt, the Centenary stand built, the anfield rd end revised completely and seating introduced - it's not the Anfield of 20 years ago and beyond that we previously associate with great European athmospheres. Yet still there is still the capability of noise being generated, I'd like to credit the fans first and the building second. If due care is taken in the design of the new place then the accoustics could be even better :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I remember watching liverpool play sheffield wed at anfield in 1989 ko 11.30,great game and great atmosphere liverpool won i think 5-1, just my little memory ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

yeah the contrast at anfield is untrue. At league games ya coud nod off and not be woken up.

Then you've got atmospheres like last night which just cant be repeated anywhere in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

ianomccabe wrote:
    yeah the contrast at anfield is untrue. At league games ya coud nod off and not be woken up.

Then you've got atmospheres like last night which just cant be repeated anywhere in the country
    You wouldn't know whether you were talking about Liverpool or Celtic there (obviously the Anfield gives it away though ;) ). There's going to be a Tifo at Celtic park on Saturday to try and liven up the atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

whats that tifo business? my swedish doesnt go past, hello svetlanka, can we back to your long ship and get it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Draupnir wrote:
    whats that tifo business? my swedish doesnt go past, hello svetlanka, can we back to your long ship and get it on?
    click on the team crests and you'll see what it means. :) Milan have great ones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just chatted to a good mate lastnight who was at Anfield the other night and he said it was like nothing on earth and not even the Celtic v Rangers games hes been to can compare to the atmosphere the other night ,NUFF SAID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

those TIFO's are cool. fair dues to shels for getting on the list. someone should send them in a crest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Those Barcelona ones are amazing - http://www.brondbytifo.dk/photogallery.php?album=28

I think that Liverpool fans are great for the big occasions, but quiet the other 90% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

half the athmosphere of anfield is generated by the ground, the walk up anfield road, the habitual stop and refelection at the shanky gate and the eternal flame memorial. You can feel the scousness in the air, constant reminders of legends, red bricks and red flags ... before you get into the stadium you are buzzing and alive with the athmosphere.

I have been to alot of stadia and nothing compares to Anfield, not even the camp nou (which is impressive in it's own right).

I would have given my left and right arms for the honour of being there on wednesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

egan007 wrote:
    What can i say that already has not been said about it.
    Except that it's the unsung hero of Liverpools CL run.

Did it suck Luis Garcia's shot over the line last night?
    Did it prevent Gudjohnsens 95Minute shot from driving it's owners into deep depression?
    The noise - the power - the history - the love - the amazing effect that she has.
    Love Liverpool or hate them is beside the point.
    I'm just paying homage to it's beauty in a world of corporate glass bowls.
    Liverpool should never turn it's back on her for the sake of a businessmans greed

Post match Jose Mourinho....
    "I felt the power of Anfield, it was magnificent."

Anfield

No It didn't as the ball never crossed the line. :p

Good post though, That sort orf passion is what being a football supporter should be about.

Advertisement