Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prelim engineering

Options
  • 04-05-2005 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

hey, have prelimitary engineering down on my CAO.

Is anyone doing it? and what it like? is it hard to get into the main engineering coruse at the end of year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

prelimitary, premilitary or preliminary? is that like the general courses all the nui's offer where you specify your route after a year of "broad-horizons"? i'd hate to do one of those courses, basically because im cut out for civil/structural and nothing else, mechanical eng would bore me, electronic would drive me to kill. but that's just me. i'm sure they're a more than beneficial course if you're the type of person who's suited to all sorts of engineering and want your footing in one particular branch after getting to know them all a bit. let me advise you to steer clear of trinity's undenominated course though: two years of everything (computer science, geology, mechanics, material studies, etc... and THEN when you're grey and old you're asked to specify... no thank you)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

You know you have to pay €2000 to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

That's only a pittence

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

I did it 4 years ago... If you put a bit of work in over the year it's not to hard to get through.
    I'm final year degree now!

To get through to the degree when i did it you had to get a 55% average across the board. It's not as bad as it sounds! Not sure if thats still the case.

The subjects you do are nearly honors leaving level but there isn't the same amount of content, if you have done physics, chemisty or applied maths for leaving it'll help too.
    But apart from that it was definitly a great year, and an advantage in 1st yr degree.
    Plus you get to know everyone in the college better, for some reason prelim is just good for social life!
    Deffinitly worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 confusedsolider

i did prelim this year and it is a bit **** course work is bit dodgy and lecturers are ok few are dicks though!!! over all its a good way to get a B.ENG but if you could do it another way save your self the two grand!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement