Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun in Cork

Options
  • 04-05-2005 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Some of my friends and I are heading down to Cork for a few days in a couple of weeks and were wondering where we should go for nights out, shopping etc. If anyone has any suggestions and info, such as prices into clubs and student nights, that would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

More detail and we can sort ya out. What type of clothes,Music & atmosphere are you looking for.

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ahsurewhynot

Clothes-preferably not stuff ya can get all over the country

Music-fairly mainstream because were all into different types of music and anything too specific won't suit everyone. NO hardcore dance dun dun dun dun dun dun dun da da da dun. One night of live music wouldn't go amiss.

Atmosphere-friendly, relaxed, not too "local"-as in, not somewhere where people go for a few drinks with their friends only and aren't willing to talk to jackeens! We're looking for some Cork boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Good list of gigs in cork here: http://entertainment.ie/events/display.asp?cat=music

Just look through and find some band you like, gives you an idea of the pubs in question though. Just post here and you can get directions to any of the pubs listed (probably).

For varied music taste. Um. Cork definitely doesn't lack generic pubs. Most of the pubs wouldn't have a set music style (well that you'd notice) most are just chart.

We should really do a sticky for pubs, clubs and resteraunts in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

how old are you guys? cause that's going to make a difference too, most things you can do right in the city centre, although we do have the new Mahon Point shopping Centre, which isn't bad for clothes shopping at all...

Where are you all coming from, that'll make a difference too before we send you anywhere! heh heh!

We're Dubs nd were all around 18-9

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

check out
    www.whazon.com/cork

for loads of stuff

and city of culture events you won't get in Dubbalin

www.cork2005.ie

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

We're Dubs nd were all around 18-9

ok, 18 - 19, (where do 18 year olds go these days?!)
    emm... just be warned, if any of you aren't 18, chances are you won't get in anywhere, they are quite strict on ID in Cork... but that's besides the point,

pubs...
    If I was you I'd probably go to Bar Rumba, then there's Fast Eddies upstairs (nightclub)
    Then the Mardyke, there's a new nightclub called Blu Bambu (could be the wrong spelling) just near the Mardyke too, so that might be an idea to go to? I don't know what the new place is like though...
    Then there's the Coal Quay bar too, dunno, it's pretty good, but all the pubs in Cork get REALLY busy at the weekend - so be warned!

For shopping you may as well stick to the city centre, there's no point in trying to bus it around the place to places like Mahon Point when all (except Debenhams, which you guys have anyway in Dublin) the shops are in the city centre.

Hope that's of some help, there might be a few younger ones online too who might be able to help you out with student nights, I've no idea where they all go these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ok, 18 - 19, (where do 18 year olds go these days?!)

Hope that's of some help, there might be a few younger ones online too who might be able to help you out with student nights, I've no idea where they all go these days!

Eh.

Um.

18-19...

Been a long time.

Do they still drink alcohol and listen to music these days? I don't understand these new trends.

I hear they have Radio on the Interweb these days.... Damn pesky kids and their new fangled inventions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I be 18 and shortly 19.
    Generally on a night out we go to Brunos over in the Mardyke Complex area. Mostly pop and R n' B and kind of a yuppy place in my opinion. Its loud and basically impossible to talk in there. There is bowling lanes on the second floor also. The girls in our group love the place for the lively atmosphere and bit of dancing but the guys I know generally dislike it I find. Entry is free.

After Brunos usually we walk over to Club One just off Oliver Plunkett St. Always seems to be playing R n' B inside there and whatever the latest American East/West coast rap is in the top thirty. Again girls love the place usually. It was the only club for the 18/19 age group for a good while but I think more and more people are going to teh Savoy now that it has reopened but I have yet to go there.

Club One has all sorts of people attending it but seems to be more towards the knackerish end of the scale or so my snobbish opinion says :) I have seen a couple of fights outside the doors of it once it has ended and the bouncers are pieces of trash who will watch it but never try to stop it. I think entry before 12 is like 5 euro and free with some passes and after 12 its either 8 or 10 euro.

Personally I dislike both places and prefer a quiet drink with about 5/6 people in the Beer Garden of the Franciscan Well near Popes Quay or in the LV on McCurtain Street. Both places play more rock/alternative music and are quiet and unlively enough. More relaxed attitude and you probably won't be dancing with any Cork Boys there :)

You could always go to the Bróg on Oliver Plunkett St. Rock music, loud enough but still able to have conversation, lively but cramped. Some unwashed masses in there too hehe

The Lobby near City Hall has live bands most nights but isn't too big a venue and will be more sit down enjoy the band than walk around and mingle and talk and dance while they play.

• Advertisement

thanks for that well give them a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Isn't the lobby closed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Nah, opened again a couple weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

ah! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ChemicalGuy

Eeeuuccchhhh!!
    Yes, Lobby has re-opened but may be closing again soon due to licencing difficulties.

For a good honest free-for-all night, head to the Idle Hour on the south Quays. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dondonjordan

When I was last back in cork the savoy was opening again. Did that actually take place and does anybody know if freak scene will ever take place there again. I actually thought it was the best place for it. The whole thetre look is very cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

For a good honest free-for-all night, head to the Idle Hour on the south Quays.
    I used to like that pub, although to be fair, I haven't been there in nearly ten years... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

if your on the pull go to club one its full of lads who cant get in any where else, on a saturday go to savoy, blue bamboo is supposed to be good but i havent been there yet, mangans and the pav are holes and best avoided imo. freakscene is good if theres a crowd, thats on wednesdays in one. as for good pubs there mostly the same bruno's, la cheile, jd stylez. if your plannin to stay in a pub for the night the brog is the place to do best part is you dont have to get dressed up well us lads don't anyway! usually go drinkin in a gaff and then savoy myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

for 18/19 yr olds the choice is:
    Mangans- can pretty much guarantee good music, least strict on id if theres anyone underage.
    Club One- music can be unreal some nights and shocking after about 12
    Blu Bambu-not sure yet
    Savoy- class place but dont know if its getting the people

And any pub really but Id recommend Jd styles or Brunos.
    Haven't been to blu bambu yet so I'd be interested to know what other people think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

music in mangans is usually good but there is always fights outside after and careys lane is so small your almost guaranteed to get a dig. pity though cause it could be a good club, a lot of scumbags end up there though cause ity is easier to get in than elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Heard lots of mixed opinions of the Blu-Bambu ... most of them bad.

Stay away from mangans if you dont want to end up in hospital. The bouncers are scum .. nuff said.

Freakscene is great, I was never into the rock/alternative thing but theres always a good atmosphere in there on wednesdays - watch out for the mosh pits.

Whatever you do, my advice is not to go out on a saturday .. everywhere is packed, every scumbag is out who just got his wages for the week/month -gets pissed and starts jumping on peoples heads for fun.

Go out on Friday and Sunday instead ..Sunday I hear is a good night in Cork???

Advertisement