Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Dropping Today?

• 04-05-2005 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

My NTL Broadband connection has been intermittent all day. Anybody else having this problem?

I phoned NTL but they are being pretty unhelpful.

The thing is that I haven't noticed it dropping at all in the past 3 months but today it has dropped several times.

Another odd thing is that my Analogue TV/Digital TV/Broadband all went at about 11:45 last night and returned a couple of hours later. But since then the broadband has been on and off all the time. NTL said there was no problem in my area at that time, and anyway no crews work at that time to fix problems.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Have a peek at this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

causal wrote:
    Have a peek at this thread
    Yeah, I saw that thread but it's about slow connections not on/off connections. So I decided to start a new thread.

Oops sorry :o Well in D.16 it's still fine. What area are you in?

It seems most likely related to the lost signal you got last night; possibly contractors or other road works (since ntl said it wasn't them). It'd be interesting to know if anyone else in your area had outages or dropped connections...

causal

causal wrote:
    Oops sorry :o Well in D.16 it's still fine. What area are you in?
    Dublin 7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Strange. I'm in Dublin 7 but so far I haven't had any problems with my own connection today.

• Advertisement

Hmm, the ntl mail server seems to be down at the moment.

causal

The mail server is back up again :)

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Yes, my connection's been pretty bad. Tuesday night, was down all night.
    Rebooted everything (modem, router, etc) last night, worked fine. This morning, my partner said nothing was working again. Tried rebooting everything, and that worked for about 10 minutes. Very annoying. Customer support say I need to talk to the Cable Modem staff when I'm in front of my PC - but I can only do that after 7.30pm on weekdays, and they leave at 7pm. Hope to resolve it at the weekend. If anyone else gets more information, please let me know.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭fiacha

hi, i'm in d7 (ashtown) and the analogue TV signal dropped a couple of times last night after 10:30pm. only lasted a couple of seconds.

NTL are coming today to setup BB, so i'll let you know if there are any issues.

BYE BYE EIRCOM :D:D

Maybe they're preparing some exchanges for the speed upgrade.

• Advertisement

the install guys arrived bang on time and everything was completed in 10 minutes. well impressed.

I asked them if they were aware of any issues in the area but except for a few email a\c issues, they hadn't heard of anything.

i ordered the 2mb package, but it looks like the speed is still at 750k. ah well, i'll just have to wait a couple of weeks for the upgrade.

BTW what's your downstream power level?

Hint: Goto http://192.168.100.1 and login with admin/admin.

Mine is 3dBmv. If this gets too low my connection becomes unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

capistrano wrote:
    Goto http://192.168.100.1 and login with admin/admin.

I can't access this IP address. Is this because I use a router?

P.

oceanclub wrote:

P.
    I don't think the router should matter. I use a router too. Perhaps they have changed the IP address the modem configuration uses - though I'd be surprised, they'd prefer to keep everyone's configuration the same.

mine seems to vary between 0.1 and 0.3 dBmV

I had a call from an NTL Tech Support guy. He said that my SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio) was very low (<20dB) earlier on but it is okay now (35dB). He's reckons that the problems were due to the low SNR but couldn't really explain why it had dropped. He just told me to keep an eye on it and to phone them straight away if it goes again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'm having a lot of problems in D.15.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Dublin 12,

It's shyte!

As per usual!

Shytty ntl :mad:

I'm having a lot of problems in D.15.... :(

I pity you living in that notorious BB blackspot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

oceanclub wrote:

P.

When i try to access it when the computer has been on for awhile i cant.So i reset modem and turn it off for few seconds.Then when i hit the link the prompt window comes up,and i put the usual username and password and hey presto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

capistrano wrote:
    I had a call from an NTL Tech Support guy. He said that my SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio) was very low (<20dB) earlier on but it is okay now (35dB). He's reckons that the problems were due to the low SNR but couldn't really explain why it had dropped. He just told me to keep an eye on it and to phone them straight away if it goes again.

my SNR at the moment is 35.01... i suppose that it is normal for a good line?

It's 36.12 for me so I'd say your fine there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

yeah mine dropped for a few hours last night from 11 or so, i think i've some SNR issues, though it hasn't happened in a few weeks during the last spate i rang ntl and they were supposed to send out an engineer but never saw one. But haven't had any more issues till now..

Broadband dropped again last night from about 23:45 to 00:35. Cable TV was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

capistrano wrote:
    BTW what's your downstream power level?

Hint: Goto http://192.168.100.1 and login with admin/admin.

Mine is 3dBmv. If this gets too low my connection becomes unreliable.

I can't access that site either. it times out for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'm in Christchurch too, a few night ago my service was awful. Seems to be fine again now though.

Mildy worried as I am going to cancel my landline and replace it with VOIP. I hope the service get back to normal soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Anyone having ntl probs in Lucan area?. Got it installed over weekend, and was flushed with excitment at my 1.5mbits, however this evening its crawling (around 200-500kbit). Of course their support is gone home for the night...

By the way, is there a newsgroup or anything of relevance to Irish users (i.e. like the UTV support group)?.

Ta!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

They seem to be doing something. Different areas seem to be going down at different times. Christchurch seems to be fine now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Had problems this morning in Lucan - hopefully due to the upgrade :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement