Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you do that thing...

• 04-05-2005 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

... where you can send a message that will pop up on the screen of someone else who's on the college network at the same time as you?

I can remember as far as clicking 'Run' and then typing something in it, but er, that's about it.

Muchos appreciatias

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

it used to be run then, "net send" username message, but it hasnt worked for a few weeks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

from the run box type-

net send "computer name" message

you need to know the name of the comp there on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

hmm, i don't think this works. I think they're turned it off.

this may be unrelated. But a few months ago we had a lecture with a lecturer showing powerpoint notes from his mac. and everyone so often a message would pop up you've received a file would u like to view it. there were guys on laptops sending him stuff, i think it was a naughty picture. however, the prompt didn't say who it was from. interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Are you sure Kev? I think it's working... Maybe I'll just ask the person I'm trying to send the messages to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you can do it by username or computer name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Just been told that it didn't work and that all of the ones I just sent didn't in fact send.

Damn you ISS...

webmessenger.msn.com?

netsoc hey

viable alternatives.

webmessenger.msn.com?

netsoc hey

viable alternatives.

To get really smart, you could just send them a text/ring them? Or shout very very loud.

NO.

my way or the highway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Its a service that run's on the computer, so i imagine iss have possibly pushed an AD policy disabling it.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

this may be unrelated. But a few months ago we had a lecture with a lecturer showing powerpoint notes from his mac. and everyone so often a message would pop up you've received a file would u like to view it. there were guys on laptops sending him stuff, i think it was a naughty picture. however, the prompt didn't say who it was from. interesting.

I thinks thats done through bluetooth

I'd doubt this guy had bluetooth on his mac laptop, unless it comes standard. also, they were quite a bit away from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

There was a lot of craic with net send when I was in first year, all those 6 years ago. People were messing and both messaging and bombarding each other.

Then some people started discovering /domain as a wildcard, several spammings to the entire TCD network later and net send was withdrawn......

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

hrm it worked at the beginning of the year..the guys used to bombard me with annoying messages in the sniams :rolleyes: . i had no idea to reply though...well i know now if they ever bring it back on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

hmmm...... it was definitely withdrawn college wide 6 years ago, might have been during an upgrade it returned....

It was great craic, someone would be typing up an essay and I would flood the screen with abusive and witty messages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Yeah it was definitely there last year and the beginning of this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

:send
    net send comp80 hahahahaha
    goto send

Advertisement