Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 guitar or two guitars

• 04-05-2005 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

in the future i plan to buy a guitar at around the 1000 euro mark maybe more. i like the clean sound of tele like single coils but would use distortion a good bit so id also like humbuckers. would i get a better sound from two cheaper dedicated instruments for these pickups or can you get the best of both worlds on one guitar for the price? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Get one amazing guitar, like some used PRS if youre lucky and put some coil taps on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Coil taps sound nowhere near as good as the real thing though. Separate guitars man. Go second-hand and try pick up bargains. Maxmise your cash.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

One good guitar. Play it for a long time. Want another guitar? Save up again for another really good guitar. Then you'll have two really good guitars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If he's good and lucky though he should be able to pick up two great ones at a nice price. There'd inevitably be a bit of saving and whatnot, and he wouldn't get two great guitars for a grand, but he wouldn't need to go miles over it. Second-hand Jap Tele, second-hand SG or LP. Could probably put that together for about fifteen hundred, all told, if you shopped around a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd say get one great guitar now, but I wouldn't write off getting another one at a later date. You can't really get an all-in-one unless you're willing to shell out for this baby, which has 5 single coils, which you can use in 3 single coil start style, or 2 humbucker style, and anything inbetween as far as I know. Really inventive guitar, but what a freakin' price tag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

What a lot of people seem to do is buy a guitar with humbuckers, and then stick a P90 (single-coil) in the neck position.
    Single coils do sound pretty rancid in the bridge position, so there's not much point having two seperate guitars for that reason. Have the best of both world's on one.
    No coil tapping necessary either!

Just get this tbh. 8 single coils!

i-1_B_L.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

****'s sake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

feylya wrote:
    Just get this tbh. 8 single coils!

i-1_B_L.jpg

Aren't those 4 Dimarzio Super Distortion humbuckers? :confused:

• Advertisement

Meh, probably. But for the sake of argument, we'll call them 8 singles :p

feylya wrote:
    Meh, probably. But for the sake of argument, we'll call them 8 singles :p

Even though they probably only added the coil splitting wires to those pickups after that guitar was originally produced? ;)

TBH, it's damn hard to add coil taps to pickups that are already made. Depending on how they're made of course.

feylya wrote:
    TBH, it's damn hard to add coil taps to pickups that are already made. Depending on how they're made of course.

Yes...

Yeah!

Hey, an owl...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

yeah 1 have 2 guitars worth about a grand between them...mexican tele and an ibanez edr 470 but i'd swap both of em tomorrow for a really nice strat... i reckon one good guitar will do u and for a grand you'd get a lovely strat or sg or lp or somethin... then when u have money just get another one...basically what ^^^^ they said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

hang on now is that not just a matter of opinion coil taps not being as good as singles themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Perhaps, but I've never heard a coil tap that really had mojo

Although didn't DiMarzio make a humbucker that sounded like a humbucker about 10 years ago? Meh, could've been the other way around :p

most humbuckers sound like humbuckers doc :D you crazy man... but your right a coil tap is not as good as a humbucker pickups...just not worth the hassle imho

jcoote wrote:
    most humbuckers sound like humbuckers doc :D you crazy man... but your right a coil tap is not as good as a humbucker pickups...just not worth the hassle imho

Ahhh need my brain medicine. A humbucker that sounded like a single coil, you know what I mean....

Consider your card marked, pal ;)

• Advertisement

yeah i know what ya meant bud.. i don't understand it ...just buy humbuckers simple as that they make em in single coil size and all for ya god dammit..

how will i sleep tonight gulp!!!

Ahhh, I'm not going nuts after all :D

hell_ad.jpg

Humbucker From Hell® DP156 & F

Want the single-coil sound with the output and quiet operation of a standard humbucker? The Humbucker From Hell® goes where no humbucker has gone before. It has the glassy, open sound of a great single-coil, with bright pick attack and warm depth of tone. Because the Humbucker From Hell® is a full size humbucker, its output and noise specs match perfectly with other humbuckers-now your guitar will sound absolutely balanced in all positions. To get a bigger single-coil tone from your rig, use the Humbucker From Hell® in the neck or bridge position. It will drive your system harder, while maintaining the springy, transparent sound you expect only from a single-coil pickup.

Recommended For:

Neck position in solidbody guitars.

Tech Talk:

Okay, we admit it - it's a strange name for a pickup that's not a megavoltage monster (but try it in the bridge position with a really bright amp & you'll get it). What we really wanted was a super-clean neck pickup, because we've heard years of complaints about muddy-sounding buckers. This pickup is the cure. With some guitar/amp combinations, it can sound almost acoustic, with others, it's real Strat®-like. Aside from cancelling 60-cycle hum, it bears very little resemblance to standard humbucking sound.

well done i like the review you wrote with it ..thats some fast typing bud ;) ... only messin man are they still available

I've no idea... for a while there I thought I had imagined it :p

they are quite a good idea really cos it means u can have a single coil sound without replacing bridges or messing around with the wood (no pun intended) or whatever... better than tapping or splitting humbuckers any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Here's a similar idea.

"EMG-89
    Inside the EMG-89 pickup are both single and dual-coil pickups, each with its own output."

I read it on the internet so it must be true...........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement