Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever heard of these comics?

Options
  • 05-05-2005 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Here's afew a found online. The first is called "No-Where girl", you can find it at "wwww.nowheregirl.com". It's a about a young girl who suffers from manic depression and later learns to rediscover herself and boost her self-esteem.

The second is "Red Star" http://www.archangel-studios.com/comics/redstar/frame.htm, which is set in an alternate reality inwhich a group of rebels are rebelling against a Communist empire similar to the USSR except that this empire has engulfed the world.
    There's also another similiar comic called "Atomika" http://www.mercurycomics.com/index.asp, but most people say its just a rip off of "Red Star".
    I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of them and are they available in Ireland? Also does anyone recommend any comics similar to "no-where girl". I that one was really cool in how it relates to real life.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Atomika is something I've picked up recently in Other Realms and I've really enjoyed it so far - have to say that I was glad to hear it's a 12 issue series rather than ongoing tho, since it could easily descend into your usual superhero twaddle if they tried to build it into a monthly series.

Haven't read Red Star although I'll have to check it out on the basis of the Atomika comparison. Haven't read Nowhere Girl either, though by the sound of it you'd probably enjoy pretty much anything by Chris Ware, Adrian Tomine, or Daniel Clowes. My most recent read that sounds any way similar is Epileptic by David B; it's an autobiographical story about growing up in a family with an epileptic brother during the 60s & 70s, when every quack had a supposedly foolproof solution to the problem. Very good read, partly because of the honesty imbued in the writing and partly for the way the artwork manages to contribute and complement the story.

Advertisement