Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any Suggestions plz!!

Options
  • 05-05-2005 12:04am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭

my little bro (18) wants to get a car in the summer after he finishes school. he plans on going for the garda so if he gets in he would need a good solid car. it will be his first car on a proviosinal liscense. He likes the fiat bravo and the mitsibishi colt and intends on going for one of them.wat wud be the insurance range on them does anyone know.

Any other suggestions would be a great help!!

But bearing in mind trying to get low insurance....
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

how long is a piece of string?
    Seriously, you are talking about ~1.4L for an 18 year old (on a prov). The insurance companies will just name their price!
    He should get a 1L or 1.1L car for the first few years to help reduce insurance costs

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

At 18 he is going to be limited. Have no idea on insurance as it depends on personal circumstances but expect it to be a couple of grand.

He would be better off going for something like a mid 1990s Fiesta, Polo, Corsa or Micra.

My choice would be the Fiesta as they are a great little car, are very durable and spare parts are plentiful and relatively cheap. The pick of the bunch would be a 1996/97 1.25 litre Zetec version as this is the best engine in the range and was designed by Yamaha. Overall a great first car.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From what little I know, most 18 year olds, on a provisional will pay about €4,000 for a €700 car. Best bet is to find out about insurance first, and then the car, unless he has money to burn.

the_syco wrote:
    From what little I know, most 18 year olds, on a provisional will pay about €4,000 for a €700 car.
    re the €700 - the value of the car is usually irrelevant to the price of a policy when its below about €10k

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jonny24ie wrote:
    he plans on going for the garda so if he gets in he would need a good solid car

There you have it. Don't do anything until he's in Templemore. Once he is, he'll be able to get better quotes for insurance and for a host of other things too iirc

And no tolls for life once he gets the badge :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    There you have it. Don't do anything until he's in Templemore. Once he is, he'll be able to get better quotes for insurance and for a host of other things too iirc

And no tolls for life once he gets the badge
    plus he can speed without getting points, drink drive without getting caught... :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

i dont think he really minds the insurance coz hes gonna have 2 pay mad money 4 it in the first place for his first time.
    well he doesnt have money to burn and if he does wat bank is he robbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Surely he will end up with a full licence fairly sharply if he enrolls in templemore (if they'll have him of course). It would be much easier for him to insure anything then.

Barring that

1) if the car is in his own name, the smaller and less power the better

2) if the car is in a parents name up to 1.4 or 1.6 should be do able

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

i'm 18 on first provisional and got insured on 1.4 golf mk3 under mothers name for 1500 third party fire and theft with no previous experiance with hibernian. I got a quote for a 1.4 civic also and it was 1400........... tempting indeed. If he shops around he should be able to get it pretty reasonable anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

PaulKK wrote:
    i'm 18 on first provisional and got insured on 1.4 golf mk3 under mothers name for 1500 third party fire and theft with no previous experiance with hibernian. I got a quote for a 1.4 civic also and it was 1400........... tempting indeed. If he shops around he should be able to get it pretty reasonable anyway :)

I assume you mean that your mother is the main driver and you are a named driver on her policy.

At some stage or another you will have to get insurance under your own name in order to build up your NCB. Your first year under your own insurance could be almost double what you are paying now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

PaulKK wrote:
    I got a quote for a 1.4 civic also and it was 1400...........

wow, the insurance costs have drastically come down when you look at this. 3 yrs ago I just got insured on a 1.4 focus, 3rd party for €4609 and I was 21. Glad to see some progress finally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

ando wrote:
    wow, the insurance costs have drastically come down when you look at this. 3 yrs ago I just got insured on a 1.4 focus, 3rd party for €4609 and I was 21. Glad to see some progress finally
    there's no progress.

those quotes are as a named driver on a car. 4yrs ago, I was paying 600punts Fully Comp under my mothers name on a Corolla, same car on my policy was 3000punts from Axa, Quinn wanted 4500 punts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

mods could you please close this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I'm want to get my first car in the summer when I turn 18. Is there much of a diierence in insurance coats between a 1l and a 1.2l car?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Not really no, but the motor tax on the 1.2 will be about 100 euros more expensive. At 18 with a provisional licence though, you're probably best off getting a 1.0 litre.
    Try looking for some quotes on quinn-direct.com and hiberniandirect.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

try britton, they gave me a great quote

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bringing up the origional question...
    1) Brava/o ... If your going for this car, make sure its the 16v version, heard nothing but bad things about the 8v ... do a google

2) Mitsi Colts .... Solid little car, and nippy too. Not too hard to insure considering its a 1.3l engine on a light car. Parts are well easy to source. If I had the choice between either, it would be the Colt.

Advertisement