Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Oh Google, what won't you do!

• 05-05-2005 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭

http://webaccelerator.google.com/

Speeds up the internet!

Works aswell. Devianart loads up in a few seconds now.

EDIT: AHH IT'S NOT GOOD DON'T DOWNLOAD!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

2. How does Google Web Accelerator work?

Google Web Accelerator uses various strategies to make your web pages load faster, including:

* Sending your page requests through Google machines dedicated to handling Google Web Accelerator traffic.
    * Storing copies of frequently looked at pages to make them quickly accessible.
    * Downloading only the updates if a web page has changed slightly since you last viewed it.
    * Prefetching certain pages onto your computer in advance.
    * Managing your Internet connection to reduce delays.
    * Compressing data before sending it to your computer.

3. Can I use Google Web Accelerator with a dial-up connection?

Dial-up users may not see much improvement, :( as Google Web Accelerator is currently optimized to speed up web page loading for broadband connections.
    must give this a try..

NOTE:
    · Google Web Accelerator sends requests for web pages, except for secure web pages (HTTPS), to Google, which logs these requests. Some web pages may embed personal information in these page requests.
    http://webaccelerator.google.com/privacy

0.4 seconds saved so far ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The page is taking ages to load. Accelerator my ass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I have a strange feeling that Google are slowly on their way to releasing the G-1000, an advanced data-gathering prototype* droid.

Which goes mental.

And kills us all.

*obviously - nothing ever gets out of beta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Google new Web Accelerator caches all the websites onto a server and other machines (ala P2P). People have been reporting that they can see other peoples cache'd versions of certain websites. For example, if you are using it, you might be able to see someone elses PM's (although unlikely)

People on SA have been reporting crazy crap happening.

Do not use this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Giblet wrote:
    People on SA have been reporting crazy crap happening.

Do not use this.

Yeah saw the post on SA
    very funny indeed...people seeing subject of people's PM's on message boards and everything

I suppose it wouldn't be too much work to see people's buddy list on boards.ie either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Goodshape wrote:
    I have a strange feeling that Google are slowly on their way to releasing the G-1000, an advanced data-gathering prototype* droid.

Which goes mental.

And kills us all.
    I'm just waiting for:
    "New Google SkyNet software launched"

That'll be my cue to head for the hills.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Goldstein wrote:
    I'm just waiting for:
    "New Google SkyNet software launched"

That'll be my cue to head for the hills.

Hmm so if you end up in a nuclear bunker you might just be John Connor
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

did they not learn from the desktop search debacle? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,032 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just downloaded it and installed it.

Clicked on the icon at the top-right of Firefox and all it says is "Starting...", is that normal?

• Advertisement

Ah it's not, logged out and back into Windows and it's working okay now.

Still messed up though. Keeps trying to go to non-existent url http://webaccelerator.google.com/full when I start it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

Google is trying to replace the WWW with it’s own copy!! :confused:
    So when we’re all using google’s copy instead of the public one they will be all knowing, all seeing about everyone.
    That’s scary
    I don’t like this, anything that can get passwords private data etc has to be viewed with distrust

There is a fix for webmasters tho
    ban the ip range 72.14.192.0 – 72.14.192.255 but will anyone want to lose their ranking in google’s search engine

Advertisement