Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod Problem

Options
  • 05-05-2005 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

A mate of mine recently brought an iPod back from the US but is having problems running the iPodUpdater installation.

It gets as far as 98% and then displays the following error:

Error 1904.modulec:\programfiles\ipod\ipodupdater 2005-01-11\ipodupdaterEXT.DLL failed to register. HRESULT-2147220472.

Anyone ever seen this before or know how to fix it?

I did a Google on it but couldnt find anything, his machine is running Windows Mellenium.

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

wouldn't be surprised if it's the fact that you're running windows millenium edition. doubt it was ever tested on this. get him to get a new OS - XP or win2K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

kenmc wrote:
    wouldn't be surprised if it's the fact that you're running windows millenium edition. doubt it was ever tested on this. get him to get a new OS - XP or win2K

really? he'd have to re-install his OS just for that!?

windows ME is unsupported by Microsoft as far as I know, and no-one makes any apps which are tested on it anymore - its not very widely used, and is a real dog of an OS - even used make windows 95 look stable!
    From the apple site, http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/
    iPod shuffle Requirements:
    Macintosh or Windows PC with a USB port*
    Mac OS X 10.2.8 or Mac OS X 10.3.4 or later (Mac OS X v10.3.6 or later is recommended for connecting iPod shuffle to a low power USB port, like on certain keyboards and non-powered hubs)
    Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or Windows XP Service Pack 2
    iTunes 4.7.1 or later
    QuickTime 6.4 or later
    *May require the optional iPod shuffle Dock or a USB extender cable (sold separately).

iPod and iPod mini Requirements:
    Macintosh or Windows PC with Firewire or USB 2.0 port
    Mac OS X v.10.2.8 or 10.3.4 or later for iPod mini or iPod photo (Mac OS X 10.3 - 10.3.3 is not supported with USB)
    Mac OS X 10.1.5 or later (Mac OS X 10.3.4 or later recommended, and required for USB 2.0) for iPod
    Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or Windows XP Service Pack 2
    iTunes 4.7 or later
    iPhoto 4.0.3 or later recommended for iPod photo for Macintosh
    Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 or Elements 3.0 or later recommended for iPod photo for Windows

No mention of Windows 98, 98SE, 95 or ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

You cant just sugest someone to upgrade to a new OS!

Have you looked for alternative software that does the updating?

Might get more replies in the computer forum tbh

Of course you can suggest to someone to upgrade an OS that's over 5 years old! It's not like I told them to go to Linux or Mac or something. Especially when the requirements for said product, from the vendor site, are WinXP or Win2K. It *may* work with WinME, but if you ask an Apple tech dude for help they're gonna go "WinME - sorry - not supported on that platform".
    May be harsh, but thats the reality of it. Things move forward, if you wanna use all their features sometimes you just have to keep up.

• Advertisement

jozi wrote:
    You cant just sugest someone to upgrade to a new OS!

Have you looked for alternative software that does the updating?

Might get more replies in the computer forum tbh

Might give it a go alright - cheers guys - if you think of anything else please let me know! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Wouldnt be just an os upgrade prob hardware that needs upgrading to thats why is said that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

i used to get that problem with win xp it wouldnt let me use any of the ipod software so i just doen the update on my mates pc and used ephpod, then when i actually reinstalled the computer it installed no bother i never figured out why although i must admit i was just very lazy
    Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

theres a site called www.ipodlounge.com it has apps that should make it work on windows me

heres the link to the download for the software :-
    that should make it work on windows me
    http://ipodsoft.com/softwaredetail.aspx?sid=7#download

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Try a google search for windows me and ipod - few results here for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kenmc wrote:
    May be harsh, but thats the reality of it. Things move forward, if you wanna use all their features sometimes you just have to keep up.
    Or get a decent mp3 player that you can just drag and drop files onto and connect to an older OS with no problems

johnnyc wrote:
    theres a site called www.ipodlounge.com it has apps that should make it work on windows me

any idea where? I cant see any references to windows me on it!

here is the link to the page
    http://www.ipodlounge.com/index.php/ipod-software-windows/

go down to Anapod Reinitializer 1.0.0

this is the info:-

Anapod Reinitializer is a free, lightweight utility for reformatting and reinitializing your iPod. Its function is equivalent to the Restore button in the Apple iPod Updater utility. Anapod Reinitializer runs on all versions of Windows, so it allows Windows 98/ME users (who cannot use Apple's software because it only runs on 2000/XP) to format their iPods.

if you want to play the music on windows me
    heres another bit of software u can download:-
    http://www.ipodlounge.com/index.php/ipod-software-windows/P15/

Pod Player 1.2

Pod Player (formerly MyPodPlayer) is a freeware application to carry on your iPod. You can play your music on any computer when you iPod is connected without the need to install any programs such as iTunes. When launched, it will look for an attached iPod and when it finds one it will read the music database on the iPod. You will then be able to views your songs in a similar way as in iTunes (by artist, genre, album, playlist, etc). You can now also extract songs from it. There are a few little extra features such as iPod Hacks, checking for duplicates etc. There is no installation, just an independent program.

and the download link is
    http://ipodsoft.com/softwaredetail.aspx?sid=7#download

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

You need usb 2.0 or firewire for ipod to work...I've experienced ipod's locking up windows totally when their trying to mount under usb 1....in the end you just end up switching of the computer or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Will that program for Windows ME work on Win 98?

it will work for both!

Advertisement