Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the whats wrong with man united thread..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Bowser

I completely agree with Ziggy. You have to remember that united are a plc unlike Liverpool. In any plc if results do not come in, then heads will roll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

United need to get rid of fergie, that's what is wrong with them, the squad needs a total overhaul, and it should have happend ~ 2 or 3 years ago. Smith was a disaster of a signing, so was Saha. Get out fergie, and good riddens!

sjones wrote:
    United need to get rid of fergie, that's what is wrong with them, the squad needs a total overhaul, and it should have happend ~ 2 or 3 years ago. Smith was a disaster of a signing, so was Saha. Get out fergie, and good riddens!

I think there is a difference between disastrous signings and not getting your chance to show your good enough. Saha has been injured for most of the season and Smith, who did well at the start of the season was dropped when Rooney returned from injury.

Bowser wrote:
    I think there is a difference between disastrous signings and not getting your chance to show your good enough. Saha has been injured for most of the season and Smith, who did well at the start of the season was dropped when Rooney returned from injury.

Exactly, Smith isn't good enough since Rooney is there. And Saha has been injured for ages. You just proved my point :)

I dont know how, Smith wasnt given a chance he was dropped having scored i think 4 goals in 5 matches. Saha has been injured so how does that proove he is good or bad?

Lets say Saha wasn't injured, who is he going to replace, seriously? United need to concentrate on sorting out their midfield and defense, and getting a good goalkeeper, they should approach Given.

I really feel like the team is stale and needs an overhaul. Why are the neville's still there?

There is no flare in the united team anymore, a few years back when united were attacking you, you knew about it, now they're lazy on the ball and show a lack of interest, where's the united that caught you on the counter-attack and it was game over?

Who is going to replace Giggs?

These are serious questions that need answering.

I understand what u mean now ye but its not up front where they have problems. Your bench cant be as good as your first 11. Its impossible. No one would be kept happy. I agree with the rest of what your saying. They certainly aren't the team they used be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

sjones wrote:
    Exactly, Smith isn't good enough since Rooney is there. And Saha has been injured for ages. You just proved my point :)

So what do you suggest then? Rooney and RVN upfront while Henry and Schevchenko warm the bench?

And also, who do you suggest replacing AF with?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

sjones wrote:
    Lets say Saha wasn't injured, who is he going to replace, seriously? United need to concentrate on sorting out their midfield and defense, and getting a good goalkeeper, they should approach Given.

I really feel like the team is stale and needs an overhaul. Why are the neville's still there?

There is no flare in the united team anymore, a few years back when united were attacking you, you knew about it, now they're lazy on the ball and show a lack of interest, where's the united that caught you on the counter-attack and it was game over?

Who is going to replace Giggs?

These are serious questions that need answering.

Why are the Nevilles still there? Well for one, Gary Neville is one of the most consistant right backs in the world and hardly ever ****s up. Phil Neville is a squad player who can do a job when called upon.

• Advertisement

cheesedude wrote:
    Why are the Nevilles still there? Well for one, Gary Neville is one of the most consistant right backs in the world and hardly ever ****s up. Phil Neville is a squad player who can do a job when called upon.

Oh get with it, the Neville's are terrible man.
    They need to go, we need a replacement for Giggs and Keane, and we need a *good* keeper, as I said already, approach Given.

Who is better than Gary Neville in the premiership?

cheesedude wrote:

Paulo Ferreira

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

cheesedude wrote:

Steve Finnan , 'as I said already, approach Given.' , are you saying they should tap up Given ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Seriously, am I wrong in saying that united need a better keeper, need to loose the neville sisters and get good strong replacements, look into getting *good* replacement for Giggs and Keane, sell Saha and get a great striker?

• Advertisement

Finnan is not better than G.Neville!!!

And whether Lauryn is better is highly debateable. He has a very odd temperament.

Same with Ferreira, debateable who is better.

I was trying to get opta stats on all the defenders in the premier league...can anyone help me? :/

sjones. I like the way you've avoided the questions I've asked you.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

cheesedude wrote:
    Finnan is not better than G.Neville!!!

I tend to disagree and im not the only one , theres many who believe he is .

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote:
    I tend to disagree and im not the only one , theres many who believe he is .

The only problem with that is that while Finnan has had a fantastic season, much better than Neville's, you can't be sure that he's gonna have the same level of consistancy next year. Hopefully for Ireland he will of course!
    With Gary Neville he has performed at the highest level for a long time now.

B.

ziggy67 wrote:
    That is very debatable!

How is that debatable?

He has played for Manchester United his whole life and also for England. What is debatable about that? That is the highest level. Grrr make some sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

When this all this hatred towards Neville start? :) I think he's a great player. Rarely caught out defensively and is not afraid to get forward.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Well i thought it was meant that Nevilles performances were of the highest level so a thousand apologies about that.

Anyway is the Premiership the "highest level"?

Personally i'm not taken in by the "best league in the world" (copyright SkySports) tag.

I think it is the most exciting league in the world, I don't think it is the best for quality of football.

And yes the Premiership is the highest level when you play for Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Heres how I see it:

Goalkeeper:

Howard has been given a 4 year contract, Fergie thinks he can come good in the long term, I agree.

Squad Cover
    Carroll and Ricardo are gone this July

Transfers
    A new keeper will be bought in the summer. There is absolutly no doubt whatsoever about this. Fergie has said it, Gill has said it, Bannor has said it :) It'll be fixed next season. Who? I don't know. I still hope for a big big keeper signing, but we'll see.

Defense:

Top 4
    I think we're fine.
    I think Neville is the second best RB in England, after Ferreira, but not many would say he isn't in the top four, and the players say he is the top RB in the country. People don't like him, I understand, but hes a quality player.
    Rio? Best distributing CB in England, reads the game the best. Two types of CB, Terry is one type, Rio is the other, and Rio is the best at his type.
    Slyvestre- I think he has been United's best defender for 4 years now. He is weak in the header sense, and people notice how many mistakes he tends to make. Generally one in a game or so, but somebody tell me when he was at fault for a goal this season?
    Heinze - Nuff said

Squad cover:
    Brown- Quality player with great potential for the future
    O'Shea- Has the ability, just hasn't been on form for two years :) Good first season, so I figure he'll come good eventually.
    Phil Neville- I think he is past it, but decent enough to have him around

Future

Pique + Spector + McShane all seem good prospects

TBH, I think we have a great defense, I can think of maybe 3 better, that of Milan, Chelsea, Juve imo

Transfers
    Think theres a tiny chance Slyvestre will be sold, Heinze pushed into CB and a new LB bought, Ramos or something.

Midfield:

Top 4
    C. Ronaldo - I think he is a quality player, and think he will only get better and better
    Keano- Great player still, still commands the game, but is obviously needing replacement, or at least someone to play half the games.
    Scholes- Is not playing as well as he used too, and I think he will need to be replaced in the future
    Giggs- Despite not being anywhere near as good as he used to be, I still think he is one of the top three left wingers in England, after Duff and Robben. But that said, he does need to be replaced.

Squad Cover:
    Fletcher - I honastly believe this guy is going to be as big as Beckham, but I am probably very alone in that view :) Unless of course you're silly enough to think Beckham was never that good
    Fortune- Does a job sometimes, not good enough, should be sold
    Kleberson- I dont know about him, I still can't decide. I saw him paly before he joined United and I thought he was fantastic. I hoanstly dont know, might be a great, might leave in the summer. I dont think Fergie gives him a chance enough
    Milller- Going on loan next season, I'm sure of it :) Year long loan. Ain't good enough yet, bought too early

Future
    Richardson- Think he can replace Giggs in the long term. Very impressed with him at West Brom this season, and think he will be challenging Giggs for a spot next year
    Eagles- Not quite as developed as Richardson, but definally one for the future.
    Jones- Same as Eagles

Transfers

Essien/Guttuso/Van Bommell- i.e. a Keane replacement needed
    Winger - Don't know who. We need another quality winger. Full stop.

Strikers

Top 2

Van Nist - best poacher in the entire world imo. If he remains injury free its gona be a 30 goal season from him
    Rooney - Really playing well lately, I think he will have a 15+ goals in the prem next season. I dont like Rooney having to play every game. I'd like him more protected.

Squad Cover

Saha - Had one good season, imo a very very good player, and I think him and Van Nist could strike up a super partnership with Rooney providing some relief.
    Smith - Great passion. He fights for everything. That said, he isn't good enough technically, and never will be. He got a goal last week, and a shot on target that should have been scored. He hasn't been getting in any shots on goal in the 5 matches before that.
    OLLELELELLE - Yeh thats right, Ole is back next year. Man Utd scoring in the last 10 mins of every match will return when he returns

Future
    Rossi- This guy seems like the real deal. Been watching him in the reserve games all season, next Van Nist/Ole. Gona break into squad next year.
    Blakes- Long way away I think, maybe 2 years
    Bellion- Not good enough I think, amazing pace though

Transfers

Saha- I dont think he will be sold, Fergie is stubborn :)
    Smith - THink he will be sold for roughly the same price he was bought, think Newcastle might be interested, or Villa who are.
    Bellion - Might get a mill or two

One of Saha or Smith will have to be sold cause Ole is back.

Hopeful Top team Squad next season:

GK:
    Casillas :) [A new goalie]
    Howard

Defense:
    G. Neville
    Rio
    Heinze
    Ramos
    Brown
    O'Shea
    Pique-breaking in
    Spector-breaking in

Midfield:
    C. Ronaldo
    Scholes
    Keane
    Giggs
    Kleberson
    New DMC
    New Left Winger
    Richardson-breaking in
    Jones-breaking in
    Eagles-let on loan

Strikers:
    Van Nist
    Saha
    Rooney
    Ole
    Rossi-breaking in

That would require a bit of money.
    Assuming that there is money for a keeper.

The selling of slyvestre should net a bit, perhaps enough to buy Ramos or whatever his name is that Ferige is after.

New Winger/New DMC will cost at least 10 mill each, if not more.
    I figure we can get that sorta money for Smith+Bellion in total.

So I'd say we need another 15 mill to get the extra Winger/DMC, which hopefully will be provided with either a new owner or Gill saying, hey we need to invest.

Formation

I want the 4-4-2 back. I like how the 4-3-3 works for Chelsea, but it doesnt suit the quality we have in our squad, which isn't in midfield. I think a long summer of thinking will happen this year, and Roy's protection might get lifted, I hope.

Fergie

I'll tell ya what, I'll accept he isn't doing as good as he used to be doing. But if you can telll me a replacement who would come to United who could do better, I'd be quite shocked.

Next Season

Chelsea won't be as good, since they will be the team to beat, just like Arsenal this year.
    Arsenal will provide constant pressure.
    United would be a lot closer if not for a very very bad start.
    I think with Ole back nicking those goals, and a bit of new blood in midfield, and no more keeping errors, I see no reason why we can't challenge for another treble winning season.

p.s.
    Chelsea have Lampard, Robben, Carvalho, Terry, Duff and Makelele. Milan have Shevchenko, Kaka, Gattuso and Nesta. Barca have Ronaldinho, Eto...... Do you see where I am going with this. There is not one United player who you can honestly say would be the best in their position in England, never mind Europe...

England:
    Rio Ferdinand
    Gabriel Heinze
    Ruud Van Nist

Europe:
    Ruud Van Nist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

United need to off load dead wieght, likes of Phil Neville, Bellion, Miller , Fortune, Djemba(gone). Paul Scholes hasnt been preforming well since '99. think he has o nly score 2 champ lg goals since then. thats jsut not good enough espec considerin the extra group games. Giggs needs decent competition, he had Blomqvist in '99, a decent player to come in when your first choice isn't playing. I'd like to see Stewart Downing coming in a young english player with alot of potential. Imo Keane and Scholes need shaking up, keane is getting on fair enough, Micheal Essien and maybe VanBommel being touted. Think Scholes needs serious pressure from a respected player dont think they should try to fit both in ie Veron and Scholes, doesnt work. Fletcher is a good player when on form, think he could have a big season next season. Ronaldo is playing well, he needs more to aim at in the box tho.

Up front there is lots of talent, RVN had a disapointing season with injury etc.
    Rooney had a good return imo, playing lots of games from left side scoring some important goals. Smith is a good player to have in the squad, I think if anyone goes it could be Saha, too many injuries and Solskjaer returning for start of next year.

Accross the back, Rio has been a quality player so cool under pressure. Think Rio and Brown are a good pairing but Brown sometimes takes too much of the player when tacking left sided. Silvestre aint doing much for me, think he has always used his speed to recover from f-ing up, its not good enough and he gets caught out too much. Right back and left back are both amoungest the best in europe imo.

Keepers, such a mixed season i felt both were good enough at different stages during the season, think howard has the potential to be a united keeper needs serious head check tho some of the stuff he does, dont like carroll dont think hes up to it. Love to see Paul Robinson come in, think he has been one of the top 3 keepers in the league this season, has CL expierence and everything.

OUT: Bellion, Carroll, Fortune, P Neville, Miller, Saha
    IN :Downing, Essien, Lopo, Robinson, Van Bomell, another midfielder Malouda?

think they need some serious reshaping accross the middle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eirebhoy wrote:
    When this all this hatred towards Neville start? :) I think he's a great player. Rarely caught out defensively and is not afraid to get forward.

Take off those red tinted blinkers eirebhoy. ;)

Gary Neville is as good as any right back in the prem plus he is United through and through, I wouldn't swap him for anyone. Phil is an excellent squad player that will alway do a job for you in a variety of positions, Just ask Paddy Viera. As for getting rid of Saha and Smith who do you suggest United play as striker if Ruud Or Rooney gets injured if they do that?

Bazmo asked who would replace fergie if he were sacked ? I would love to see the answer to this question too.

• Advertisement

Emre is also a possibility, I'd love him to join.
    Figo aswell apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

One or two new midfielders and a goalkeeper and United will be back in business. Their goalkeepers are error prone and their best midfielders are either getting old, or too young and inconsistent. An overhaul isn't needed, just a tweaking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I think with Ole back nicking those goals, and a bit of new blood in midfield, and no more keeping errors, I see no reason why we can't challenge for another treble winning season.

Ole will never play top class football again. His knees are ****ed and im surprised he hasnt neen let go by utd already.

I think Arsenal will be the team to beat for the title next year as it will be the last season at Highbury, and the experience gained by the young players will prove vital aswell!

There are no young players coming in @ utd thats the problem. They havent produced a single good players since Brian Kid left.

There is a lack of balance in the squad and it comes down to crap goalkeeping and no left winger. I also strongly doubt Smith will be sold. Ferguson loves him. He is amazing at holding the ball up and is so young, he has also stated on several occasions he is happy at Man United and does not want to go anywhere else. That suits me. He is a fantastic player and he will definitely not be sold. Same with Saha.

Solskjaer will never be the same player. I am convinced of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

God christ, what do ye lot sound like.

What indications do you have that Arsenal will be the team to beat next year? Listen to yourself will you..

Chelsea are without doubt in pole position. They have a relatively young, experienced and accomplished squad of players who's spine will remain the same for 6 or 7 years if they wanted. They will only ever need to fine tune it each season with 2 or 3 signings.. They are in a similar position to that of United's in the early 90's.

Unless something major happens or they just completely loose the run of themselves, I can see Chelsea being the club of this decade.

One season duders, one season.
    Remember last season after Arsenal's unbeaten run?
    START OF A NEW ERA :)

Chelsea done this with style.

Are you working on the logic that next season will be United's turn to have a good run ;)

I think it is time to accept that, as it stands, United are the third best team in Englad. This is perfectly normal as it is impossible to remain the best forever. The only way is down but they are big enough to bounce back. It will take 2 or 3 seasons though and some hard decisions.

Your summary of United's midfield earlier in this thread really summed up what is wrong with United. 3 has beens, a world cup winner and an overly fancy kid who will eventually come good.

Their attacking options and defence are up to scratch though. Ye could do with an Igor Biscan in your team ;)

One reason..Hunger.

Will all those superstars have the same hunger as they did this season.
    Will they be lucky to escape injuries to key players.
    Will they match the record number of one nil wins next year.
    Will they surprise everyone with their 4-5-1 tactics next year.
    Will the oppisition be more up for it.

Maybe that was a few reasons. :)

Yes, there manager is a qualified Psychologist. If anyone can motivate "superstars", he can. Arsenal have a bunch of contrary French ****ers, can you see them be motivated?

They have had plenty of injuries. You mention lack of width against Liverpool in another thread. No natural wing backs either for the past few weeks. Drogba out at the start of the season.

No they wont match the record number of 1 nil wins this seasons.. They have have stopped doing this as frequently in the second half of the season. They will probably continue conceeding feck all and scoring plenty as they have done for the majority of the season.

They arguably play 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-3 even.

Will Chelsea stand still while the others get better? They are owend by one of the richest men in the world who has already shown he is willing to splash the cash. They have also signed the biggest sponsorship deal in history. I can't see them standing still, can you?

Keep convincing yourself Jank. There is no doubt that Arsenal will be contenders, but they won't be the team that everyone wants to beat.

• Advertisement

Yes, there manager is a qualified Psychologist. If anyone can motivate "superstars", he can. Arsenal have a bunch of contrary French ****ers, can you see them be motivated?

They have had plenty of injuries. You mention lack of width against Liverpool in another thread. No natural wing backs either for the past few weeks. Drogba out at the start of the season.

No they wont match the record number of 1 nil wins this seasons.. They have have stopped doing this as frequently in the second half of the season. They will probably continue conceeding feck all and scoring plenty as they have done for the majority of the season.

They arguably play 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-3 even.

Will Chelsea stand still while the others get better? They are owend by one of the richest men in the world who has already shown he is willing to splash the cash. They have also signed the biggest sponsorship deal in history. I can't see them standing still, can you?

Keep convincing yourself Jank. There is no doubt that Arsenal will be contenders, but they won't be the team that everyone wants to beat.

Whats your problem.
    Why you getting so worked up about it?
    Every post i make your jumping down my throat. You have you opinion, I have my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

/Me readys the banning stick.

God christ, what do ye lot sound like.

Unless something major happens or they just completely loose the run of themselves, I can see Chelsea being the club of this decade.
    Maybe you should look at your own posts. Chelsea win their first title in 50 years and now they're going to dominate the next decade? Only a few months ago a certain team were 5 points clear and approaching 50 games unbeaten.

It amazes me how some people seem to think Chelsea are invincible on the basis of one good season. Football is never that simple.
    Whoa, someone has developed hostility towards the Gunners! Chelsea have French players too, or have you forgotten?
    Drogba is a big loss alright, he would have ripped Liverpool to shreds the other night with his silky skills if he had been on the pitch.
    You're right on the first part. They've started conceding goals, 17 in their last 16 games. Next season i'm sure they won't conceed many and will score lots, as will the other big 2.

United and Arsenal will bounce back as they typically do. Look at the games between the big three this season for the giant chasm between Chelsea and the others - hmm, now where is it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

so utd should sack ferguson, sell saha and smith, get rid of ole as he's been out for too long.........they have no world class players, are heading for a long trophyless future, need at least 1 centre back, a right back, keeper, whole new midfield and more cover for everywhere.

is it just me or has this turned into a utd bashing?

sacking alex ferguson, one of the GREATEST managers of ALL TIME is like sacking.....ronaldinho for playing poorly. unless your not right in the head you dont do it. he's as unsackable a manager as there is.

jank wrote:
    Whats your problem.
    Why you getting so worked up about it?
    Every post i make your jumping down my throat. You have you opinion, I have my opinion.

Don't have any problem dude, just don't see how you can think Arsenal are the main contender next season.

Maybe you should look at your own posts. Chelsea win their first title in 50 years and now they're going to dominate the next decade? Only a few months ago a certain team were 5 points clear and approaching 50 games unbeaten.

It amazes me how some people seem to think Chelsea are invincible on the basis of one good season. Football is never that simple.

Whoa, someone has developed hostility towards the Gunners! Chelsea have French players too, or have you forgotten?

Drogba is a big loss alright, he would have ripped Liverpool to shreds the other night with his silky skills if he had been on the pitch.

You're right on the first part. They've started conceding goals, 17 in their last 16 games. Next season i'm sure they won't conceed many and will score lots, as will the other big 2.

United and Arsenal will bounce back as they typically do. Look at the games between the big three this season for the giant chasm between Chelsea and the others - hmm, now where is it...

The fact that it is their first title in 50 years has no relevence. 12 or 13 years ago I said the same about United - "ah sure you gotta let them win it once every 30 years or so".. Now look..

I dont think they are invincible. However you are kidding yourself if you do not think they have by far the best squad of players in the PL with a manager who can get the best out of them. This is why I think they are going to be a powerful force for the next 5 years or so.

I do not have any hostility towards Arsenal. I actually like the club and they may actually be my alternative club if Liverpool are not playing a weekend. I made the point about them being full of whinging French players as I thought it was ironic that Jank was questioning the dedication of the Chelsea squad and whether they would bottle it or not. Arsenal have bottled it 2 times in the past 3 seasons..

Whether you consider Drogba to be decent signing or not, he is effective and his record this season is not too bad considering he was out for a few months this season.

Them conceeding more goal have coincided with injuries to a numbers of their first and second string defenders. Mourinho will likely ensure he has sufficient backup for next seasons campaign and the same problems probably won't occur again this season.

Once again, I have no doubt that United or Arsenal will be genuine contenders next season. However I firmly believe that Chelsea are by far the favourites. They could bottle it but I think Mourinho will prevent this from happening.

• Advertisement

smemon wrote:
    so utd should sack ferguson, sell saha and smith, get rid of ole as he's been out for too long.........they have no world class players, are heading for a long trophyless future, need at least 1 centre back, a right back, keeper, whole new midfield and more cover for everywhere.

is it just me or has this turned into a utd bashing?

sacking alex ferguson, one of the GREATEST managers of ALL TIME is like sacking.....ronaldinho for playing poorly. unless your not right in the head you dont do it. he's as unsackable a manager as there is.

the whats wrong with man united thread..

The title is inherintly negative, hence why you think we are bashing United ;)

The fact that it is their first title in 50 years has no relevence. 12 or 13 years ago I said the same about United - "ah sure you gotta let them win it once every 30 years or so".. Now look..
    Yeah, and I recall Leeds winning the title quite impressively just before that, and Arsenal winning the league in 91 with only 1 defeat. As usual, everyone was caught up in the hype and was saying that Arsenal would dominate for the next decade. That's the problem with making bold statements for the future based on a short space of time, it's a very unreliable indicator.
    I dont think they are invincible. However you are kidding yourself if you do not think they have by far the best squad of players in the PL with a manager who can get the best out of them. This is why I think they are going to be a powerful force for the next 5 years or so.
    Firstly, Ferguson and Wenger wouldn't be where they are now without being able to get the best out of the players. And secondly, I don't see how strong Chelsea's squad is. They have a very solid first eleven and a few pretty good players as backup. I'd like to see how they'd do without Terry, Lampard or Makelele for an extended period and see if they still look being the unstoppable team of the noughties without them.
    Arsenal have bottled it 2 times in the past 3 seasons..
    Bottled it once, definately. Twice? So which is it, Chelsea are the team to beat or Arsenal just underperformed?
    Them conceeding more goal have coincided with injuries to a numbers of their first and second string defenders. Mourinho will likely ensure he has sufficient backup for next seasons campaign and the same problems probably won't occur again this season.
    Not so sure about that, Mourinho likes a small squad. They got a few injuries to the fringes of the team and the goals have started go in, that strikes me as being no better than the other contenders.
    Once again, I have no doubt that United or Arsenal will be genuine contenders next season. However I firmly believe that Chelsea are by far the favourites. They could bottle it but I think Mourinho will prevent this from happening.
    I don't believe Chelsea have to bottle it next season to lose it, there's been enough this season to suggest that there's a pretty good chance they will turned over by their rivals.

Yeah, and I recall Leeds winning the title quite impressively just before that, and Arsenal winning the league in 91 with only 1 defeat. As usual, everyone was caught up in the hype and was saying that Arsenal would dominate for the next decade. That's the problem with making bold statements for the future based on a short space of time, it's a very unreliable indicator.

Firstly, Ferguson and Wenger wouldn't be where they are now without being able to get the best out of the players. And secondly, I don't see how strong Chelsea's squad is. They have a very solid first eleven and a few pretty good players as backup. I'd like to see how they'd do without Terry, Lampard or Makelele for an extended period and see if they still look being the unstoppable team of the noughties without them.

Bottled it once, definately. Twice? So which is it, Chelsea are the team to beat or Arsenal just underperformed?

Not so sure about that, Mourinho likes a small squad. They got a few injuries to the fringes of the team and the goals have started go in, that strikes me as being no better than the other contenders.

I don't believe Chelsea have to bottle it next season to lose it, there's been enough this season to suggest that there's a pretty good chance they will turned over by their rivals.

Leeds were not owned and financed by one the richest preople in the world who has already spent over 200 million sterling in less than 2 years were they? Chelsea have plans to become self sufficient but they can always fall back on Roman if needs be..

Bottled it the season before last and again this season to a certain extent. Fair enough, this season can partly be contributed other things..

Mourinho does like a relatively small squad alright. However, he is now competing on 4 fronts and expects/is expected to win them all. The only knowledge you have of him previously is his time with Porto where there was no where near the same pressure to perform. His Chelsea squad will be appropriately enlarged to cope with the added pressure on all fronts I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

I have no idea whats going wrong at United.

Poor start to the season when Rio was missing but then they just seemed to lack fight at the business end of the season.

I have read somewhere thats sports psycologists have accredited Arsenals poor form this season to losing to United so perhaps losing to AC Milan in such a bad way had a similar effect on the Manc's?

Hopefully im not alone in not knowing what the problem is and its not fixed soon.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Chelsea done this with style.

Are you working on the logic that next season will be United's turn to have a good run ;)

I think it is time to accept that, as it stands, United are the third best team in Englad. This is perfectly normal as it is impossible to remain the best forever. The only way is down but they are big enough to bounce back. It will take 2 or 3 seasons though and some hard decisions.

I,m not convinced that the current Chelsea Squad can dominate the premiership for the next decade. I have yet to see them blow a team away like Arsenal or United did when they are at their best.

Chelsea's success this season has been built on defence not attack and it has worked for them but as we saw this week when they are missing one or two key players they look decidedly ordinary and do not have the depth of squad to cope with that.

Of course they have the resources to rectify that but it's interesting that the players they have been linked to for this summer are defenders [Cole Ferdinand] and not forwards. It remains to be seen who they buy but if the indications so far are anything to go by I can see them being very hard to beat but lacking up front.

• Advertisement
Advertisement