Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthrax last night

Options
  • 05-05-2005 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Good gravy - what a show, what nostaligia, what terrible support bands :)

For those of you who missed last night, you missed a great bloody gig and a total trip down memory lane

The memories of the Top Hat have now been quashed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

were Mike got spiked bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Aye, that was something special alright. My throat is raw, my neck is sore and I ache all over, the sure sign of a great gig. I was saying to a mate of mine "wouldn't it be great if they started with Among The Living and when the intro started over the PA it was just ****ing incredible. Joey really nailed it, I was so impressed. Best gig I've seen in years. I really want to go to Glasgow tongiht ;)

bombidol wrote:
    were Mike got spiked bad?

In the context of things, yes, really, really the wrong band for the occasion. They're tight as **** and they're good at what they do but they sounded like No Doubt. Always a bad sign when you can hear the talk of the crowd over a band playing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Excellent gig - so glad i went!

Thanks Doc for forcing me to come along :D

Both the band and the crowd were amazing - i havent seen a band getting such a response from the crowd in a long time!

they are a good band yeah but the wrong band for Anthrax. i heard the first band on were awful?

• Advertisement

I quite enjoyed them, in a sort of 16 years old and pissed and in McGonagles back in 1990 sort of way. They were run of the mill old heavy metal band, but their sound was truly abysmal. MGS had a vastly better sound and put in the effort but were just wrong for the occasion, they died up there, despite a little posse of folk in MGS t-shirts. Still, Anthrax redeemed the entire support debacle and made a great evening out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Bomb, to be honest both bands were the wrong bands to do support for Anthrax.

There are much better local bands that should have done support.

And as usual there was loads of teenagers outside having been refused for being under 18 - which is sad

Did the pit bring a tear to your eye Dr J or Ancient1 - those youngsters that got into the pit really made me wish I was 10 years younger :)

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Did the pit bring a tear to your eye Dr J or Ancient1 - those youngsters that got into the pit really made me wish I was 10 years younger :)

The whole gig made me feel like an old fart and a 15 year old at the same time, it was beautiful man, just beautiful :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

I was outside the Ambassador at about 10:50. They opened up the emergency exit and I could hear a band playing. Some people seemed to be leaving. I would have thought the support bands played before the main act? Is this what happened? I did see the poor unfortunates outside, pity that. I think I saw you Ph3n0m.

Did you see the big oul ****ing grin on Joey's face when the crowd started chanting his name :)

Aye truely was a night to behold - friend of mine, she is into the more John Bush era - was blown away by the "original" lineup and what they did.

Aye Kevin - I left because people I was with wanted to head to Bruxelles and get seats before the crowds poured in - and just as I got to Brux, I was told they were playing "I am the Law" - one of the few songs I wanted to see and hear - so I got wasted because I was then sad :)

• Advertisement

Did the pit bring a tear to your eye Dr J or Ancient1 - those youngsters that got into the pit really made me wish I was 10 years younger

The pit was just relentless - i was surprised because it was just so much more violent than at all the other gigs i've been to (with the exception of Slayer, of course).

The pit (and a very large one at that) exploded right at the start and went on right until the end - great!

Ancient1 wrote:
    The pit was just relentless - i was surprised because it was just so much more violent than at all the other gigs i've been to (with the exception of Slayer, of course).

The pit (and a very large one at that) exploded right at the start and went on right until the end - great!

hehehe and no mcd ****tard security dared to go into the pit - roll on Slayer :)

I'm a big fan of the Bush era and tbh I was rather sceptical about the whole reunion thing, but what can I say, that gig kicked my ass. Joey ****ing nailed it, Danny was great once he got the posing and pouting out of his system and Frank Bello is the man, there is no-one on earth who puts more effort into a show. Joey seemed to be really enjoying himself and it showed, which made everyone get into it more, which he responded to. It sounds kind of gay, but that's what I remeber gigs were like, back in the day. I haven't seen a Dublin crowd up for a gig like that in a long time.

I feel really sorry for the kids who couldn't get in. I think it's ****ing shameful that MCD don't make provisions for kids to get in to see bands, putting them upstairs maybe, like they did at Megadeth.

Doctor J wrote:
    I'm a big fan of the Bush era and tbh I was rather sceptical about the whole reunion thing, but what can I say, that gig kicked my ass. Joey ****ing nailed it, Danny was great once he got the posing and pouting out of his system and Frank Bello is the man, there is no-one on earth who puts more effort into a show. Joey seemed to be really enjoying himself and it showed, which made everyone get into it more, which he responded to. It sounds kind of gay, but that's what I remeber gigs were like, back in the day. I haven't seen a Dublin crowd up for a gig like that in a long time.

I feel really sorry for the kids who couldn't get in. I think it's ****ing shameful that MCD don't make provisions for kids to get in to see bands, putting them upstairs maybe, like they did at Megadeth.

very true, but then you would have them wanting to go downstairs and into the pit - like we did when we were young - guess our "beards" were better back then :)

There wasnt even a provision for "if you are under 18, you must be accompanied by someone over 21"

I tried to get a mate's cousin in, who is 16, saying I'd take responsibility for him, but the bouncers weren't having any of it. You can't prevent kids from going to see bands, it's just wrong.

apart from being knobs at the door - everything went well at the gig - hell I didnt get searched at all :)

So did anyone else head back to Brux last night after the gig - or was I the only foolish one :)

Old man = Need rest :p

So the answer to your question, eh, no :D

Yeah the security schmucks were curiously absent or, rather, kept a low profile this time around.

Either the management picked up a lot of complaints after Megadeth, or they just figured that the crowd would be a lot older this time around. I wouldnt be surprised if the management received a couple of nasty calls from parents of bruised 16 year olds after Megadeth.
    Danny was great once he got the posing and pouting out of his system

That's funny man, but so true...He's such a great guitarist, he doesnt really need to show off the superman body and the Steve Vai hair-do and shades. Anyone else think he looked like Steve Vai? :p He did get into it after a song or two, though, and gave it his all.

did the band end up in bruxelles or fibbers?

He was even smiling by the end of the gig, despite his best efforts not to ;)

• Advertisement

With a reception like that, how could he not? :p

bombidol wrote:
    did the band end up in bruxelles or fibbers?

I left Brux before 1 am, so I dont know, but they were in Brux the night before quaffing down the Guiness at a staggering rate (even though the Guinness in Brux is quite mucky)

They're playing Glasgow tonight so I say they were making tracks towards the ferry last night :confused:

FFS :rolleyes:

oh for the love of helmet cheese - talk about pandering to the masses - what kind of band ever asks their "fans" to wear their t-shirts to a gig, I mean FFS

Page 2 onwards man :rolleyes:

This genius sums it all up:

"Anthrax were ****E! Music was alright, singing was awful. Went to Fibbers and played pool instead.
    Fair play to MGS. They played a great one and the 3 big baldy Anthrax fans beside me were lovin' them!"

:confused:

oh god, half tempted to post there but then I realised it might encourage MGS to support other acts :)

yeah all 3 of the anthrax fans enjoyed MGS - what happened to the other several hundred anthrax fans - did we all go deaf and blind. I went to see the support, people somewhere probably do like them, but tbh I thought they were rubbish.

And Dr J you are right - what happened to support bands from years ago that were bloody decent - seems to me that promoters just stick any oul ****e on a bill.

Remember when the headliners decided who played - oh wait it still happens Slayer and Mastadon :)

ha ha, good one. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Doctor J wrote:
    Page 2 onwards man :rolleyes:
    Nothing like a good laugh during a study break! :D

Advertisement