Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dub or Not?

• 05-05-2005 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Long time reader, first time poster.

As you probably guessed from my name I'm confused and need other people's opinions on my identity. Need defining :eek: . Am I a Dub or Lillywhite?

Here's the deal :rolleyes:
    Was born in Dublin, Dub parents, Dub grandparents.
    Lived in Leixlip (which is Kildare) as child, teenage through uni etc.
    Now that I've flown the coop bought house in Dublin.
    Always considered myself a dub (am I wrong?), always supported Dublin in GAA against Kildare. Was a Dub household I grew up in (parent brainwashing), was I denied my Lillyness?

If honest I think I am a Dub but thats down to my parents (dub household growing up) etc if u get me.
    What's other people opinions? Am I a Dub or Lilly? or am I on the fence ??? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Lilly

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

is it a problem for you?

why not be both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

A lilywhite im afraid but is that so bad.As ruth why cant you be both.Nothing to be ashamed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ADUB?

I'm not sure you can be both on all occasions.
    ie When one is pitted against other typicall GAA
    Most my life, almost 30 been told I'm one or the other, often conflicting. One minute I'm a Dub another as the wind changes I'm a Lilly?
    Would be good to get a definitive answer from people at large, that have no personal interest (ie not telling me what I'd like to hear but their honest opinion).
    It's a trival personal issue, as regard to most people's issues although it is an issue for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Whats a lilly ?

If your born in Dub. isnt that enough to make you a dub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Who cares :confused: I think your a dub i'm a lilly and proud but really why dose it matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'd say ... Dub, I'm in a similiar situation myself. Dub for sure.

A lilly is a lillywhite, person from Kildare.
    I care thats the point!
    Know its not as important as people with real issues, illness etc
    Essentially to me it's my idenity.
    I'd like to know who I am.

2 for Dub 2 for Lilly
    See what I mean I cant win either way, some accept me as a Dub and other do not?

well im kinda similar.

was born in Louth, lived in dublin for a few years.Dad is from dublin.
    Moved to galway when i was young and stayed till i left for college.Now back in dublin for the last 3 years.I consider myself a galwayman but its a personal choice.Its your choice in the ned no on elses.

See Galwaydude
    Thats the point I'm trying to make the same people telling me I'm not a Dub, would tell you, that you are not a Galwayman?
    Personally I can see you have claim to Louth, Galway and Dublin, as I have claim to Dublin and Kildare and like you I agree its your choice, but not everyone else does.
    But society likes to define us know no matter what we decide, we all get judged/viewed by the public at large, and thats why I ask.
    Did you ever have anyone tell you, you arent a Galwayman? Now see my issue

• Advertisement

why do you care what other people think as long as you know who you are? why ask us to validate where you come from? why do you need validation in the first place?

i know what your saying. Anytime i have been called a dub by ppl i have just told im a Galwayman.Its annoying but most people can claim to be the same.Not everyone was born and lives in the same county nowadays.Sure look at dublin, full of us culchies lol.

but in your case your a dub as both parents are from dublin, you were born in dublin.Now your back in dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ADUB? wrote:
    Long time reader, first time poster.

As you probably guessed from my name I'm confused and need other people's opinions on my identity. Need defining :eek: . Am I a Dub or Lillywhite?

Here's the deal :rolleyes:
    Was born in Dublin, Dub parents, Dub grandparents.
    Lived in Leixlip (which is Kildare) as child, teenage through uni etc.
    Now that I've flown the coop bought house in Dublin.
    Always considered myself a dub (am I wrong?), always supported Dublin in GAA against Kildare. Was a Dub household I grew up in (parent brainwashing), was I denied my Lillyness?

If honest I think I am a Dub but thats down to my parents (dub household growing up) etc if u get me.
    What's other people opinions? Am I a Dub or Lilly? or am I on the fence ??? :confused:

should you be posting on the GAA forum?
    or even the regional forums?

if the people you hang around with are that bothered about what you call yourself, id dump them, if youre botherd by what you should call yourself, why dont you just go with whatever feels best for you.

seriously, if this is your idea of a personal issue, i really wish i had your problems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You're a Lily, but as this metropolis that we call Dublin extends into the rest of the Pale, who knows where to draw the line! The DART now goes as far as Greystones, Co Wicklow, Leixlip is almost a suburb of Lucan at this point (no offence!), As for Clonee, which is Co Meath, but in the job here I've seen addresses as "Clonee, Dublin 15".

I think in your situation it's a little greyer than perhaps, Dunshaughlin, Rathoath etc, which are all firmly in Co Meath.

I've already said its somewhat of trival personal issue, I dont make any bones about that, in fact I've admitted it (I also have other problems too like everyone).
    But its an issue to me all the same.
    I've been told I'm either one or the other with conflicting views on this always.
    Its not a question on GAA, I know who I support, (to me it is a personal issue) but I take your point.
    If you feel this could be better answered (as to my heritage) in regional or GAA and mods agree then it should be moved.

I'll move it to the Dublin Forum then
    B

Essentially its a question
    What is a Dub? (so I can see if I am one or not as case may be)
    People have mixed views(as always).
    I'd like to know what the most popular opinion is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

ADUB

Dubs who have lived in Dublin all their life like nothin more than rippin the piss out of Dublin born people who have lived outside the borders for more than 3 minutes of their life :D They like to make Dub born country dwellers insecure by claiming they have culchie accents. Country Dubs (or cubs, culchie-dubs as someone once described the grouping) will frequently be baffled by this, especially when they go dowen the country at the weekend for a session and 2 mins after gettin into convo with a bird she asks "so where in Dublin are you from?"

:)

Another method of annoyance is when those within the borders take the piss out of Dub born people from Bray, Dunboyne, Ashbourne, and in your case Leixlip etc who seem to ID with Dublin more than the adopted county. Example- 3 Northsiders and some lad from Dunboyne are out in Spain, and an English bird asks where theyre from.
    Dunboyner "We`re from Dublin"
    Lad "No, we are, hes a muckspreadin culchie from outside Dublin"

The irony being that the rising cost of housing within the Dublin borders will force half these pisstakers into living in the Navan-Cavan commuter belt area as soon as they build that motorway :D

Maybe I'm a Cub ??? - Dublin born and has been outside Dublin for 3 minutes! but now back in Dublin
    I have experienced "where in Dublin are you from" when down in Naas, Killkenny Killarney, Cork etc.
    Never been asked where in Kildare I'm from, when either in Dublin (apart from people who know I've lived in Leixlip) Strangers from Dublin assume I'm from Dublin but when I say I lived in Leixlip on comes the slanging you're not a Dub.
    I guess in a sense that clears my issue up.

• Advertisement

I like that Irony!!!!!!
    Payback
    At Least I have my 3 bed castle (modest castle in my birth county)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

You're a Dub man, it's in the heart as well as the genes! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I live in Lucan which is in Dublin. However leixlip village is closer to my house than Lucan village, I'm literally a stones throw from kildare. In other counties these borders would matter. In this case with the incredible urban sprawl of Dublin however the lines are heavily blurred, some might say the real border goes as far as portlaois. Also dublin is an odd shape, you live closer to the city-centre than most people in the north county. For all intents and purposes you are a dub.

Advertisement