Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV, BT or Eircom - who's the best for telephone

Options
  • 05-05-2005 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

All 3 have a few good deals, any recommendations on who to go with for Telephone (not broadband)? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Well, UTV have free calls to Ireland and the UK after 6 and at the weekends. You can't get much better that that! Cool to get the bill and see FREE! written beside the majority of our calls :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

Eircom have a new offer out

€40 a month (thats including the 25 line rental) and you get unlimited calls to a fixed landline for local and national calls all day/night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Looks like UTV is the best package if most calls are made in the evening or weekend. Eircom's package is better if you make more calls during the day - good for home workers I guess.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭MrAbc

Can I add an extra question....

...if a person *does* sign up for UTV Talk, do the free off-peak calls cover the typical "pay-as-go" internet calls eg IOL/BT NetFree,eircomnet,etc?? The UTV FAQs mention 1890 numbers but will it cover the popular dial-ups?

If it does... that'd be great... provided I've actually understood the in-and-outs (almost seems too good to be true compared to when I last looked over the phone options!! lol)

Just to check then:
    Change from eircom to UTV for phone calls only (=UTV Talk).
    Key stuff: 12 month contract BUT doesn't cost extra(?), just pay UTV for the calls as you go like normal(except that calls are free in the evenings & weekends!?)
    Keep paying line rental to eircom until such time as UTV charge it instead.
    Internet calls to "free" dial-up services are truly free at off-peak times!? Are any of the dial-ups better for this than others?

I'm looking at Tele2 and telestunt too(sic), as well as the option of adding phone service to the IOL broadband connection on my own line but those are for another day - the UTV business might be really suitable for some of the relations...

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

euphony.com

€10 a month for free calls anytime anywhere uk and ireland. We have it at home and its the biz

• Advertisement

Thanks for everyones input. I've decided that UTV provides the most suitable package for my requirements. Does anyone know if you sign up with them, if you are tied to a 12 month contract? I can't see anything in the small print about this. I know that BT does not tie you up for 12 months and you are free to change provider at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Nothing in the small print = No problem.

Just print out the T&Cs so you can slap them in the face if they suddenly decide that they need you for 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

euphony.com

Dman,
    Where does it say that the €10 includes UK calls. Can't seem to see it on the site. The Talk Now rate card gives prices for UK calls (and they're not cheap either).

Can you post a link?
    Thanks

ambrose :cool:

Regards a minimum contract on UTV Talk, the FAQs and the Terms&Conditions both say 12 months...

Question on what the minimum term is:
    http://u.tv/talk/faq.asp?cat=About%20UTV%20Talk&loc=ie#103

Initial definition of "Minimum Term" in T&C's:
    https://ssl2.u.tv/talk/tc.asp?loc=ie

MrAbc wrote:
    Regards a minimum contract on UTV Talk, the FAQs and the Terms&Conditions both say 12 months...

Question on what the minimum term is:
    http://u.tv/talk/faq.asp?cat=About%20UTV%20Talk&loc=ie#103

Initial definition of "Minimum Term" in T&C's:
    https://ssl2.u.tv/talk/tc.asp?loc=ie

I didn't spot this for some reason so many thanks

• Advertisement

No problem.

Personally, I'm thinking of going with EsatBT. Having broadband with them already means I'd get €10 reduction on line rental (+some cheaper rates)... this would far out-weigh the callrate discounts possible with other non-eircom carriers as I don't make more than ~€20 worth of calls from home. [I'd have to be getting a >50% reduction on many call types!! as the calls are a mix of local & various mobiles, night & day]

The UTV Talk + free off-peak internet still looks interesting for the relatives(non-broadband) but I'm waiting on some confirmation just in case.

Cheers :)

Advertisement