Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Cinemas - Open 19/05!

• 05-05-2005 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭

Got the Limerick Post today. Little box on third last page with omniplex times

Above that (in an ad 3 times its size!) is the first add for Storm Cinemas........

Big "Opening Soon" text, with picture of coming attractions (posters for Madagascar, Starwars, Seed of Chucky, War Of The Worlds, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Fantastic Four and Herbie Fully Loaded).

Underneath that are some bullet points:
    - Full Stadium Seating
    - Internet Booking
    - Dolby Ex Surround Sound In All Screens
    - Air Conditioning
    - Bucket Rocker Seating
    - AND THE BIGGEST CINEMA SCREENS IN LIMERICK

(the last point is in caps and bold text)

No mention of opening date, but I presume they're still aiming for the Star Wars weekend (Friday fortnight)

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Sounds good, but the chances are it will probably be even pricier than the omniplex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Omniplex is getting a bit of an overhaul at the moment isn't it so more than likely they will raise prices too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, most of the little screens in the omniplex are closed. Hopefully they're merging the 6 little screens into 3 bigger ones..... They've also ripped the panelling off the roof inside. God knows what they're up to.

I agree, though, a price hike is on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

How many screens is there going to be in the new cinema?

John.

8 when it opens, with 6 more screens opening by the end of the year.

I see they have a nice big logo on the front of the building now. Looks great.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

storm cinema is opening the week after the release of the star wars film
    the 26th

rest of the screens are opening in october..
    its about time limerick had a second cinema..
    i am fed up of heading over to the omni and down the years it has got bad..

there are rumours of another cinema being built near parkway as part of the next phase of works at the homebase retail park...

any chance of a second bowling alley???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

And there is talks of two more one at the back of the new dunnes stores
    on the ennis road and another at the coonagh roundabout
    so things are looking up out my way, thank god.

There has been talk about the ennis road cinema for years now. Haven't seen it progress since then.

There was talk of a cinema beside the Homebase/PC World/Curries complex, but I guess Storm beat them to it. 2 cinemas in castletroy would be overkill.

TmB wrote:
    There has been talk about the ennis road cinema for years now. Haven't seen it progress since then.

There was talk of a cinema beside the Homebase/PC World/Curries complex, but I guess Storm beat them to it. 2 cinemas in castletroy would be overkill.

a cinema was included in the planning application for the next phase of the homebase retail park lodged last year..

dont know what came of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Don`t know about the cinema on the ennis road there is some planning
    probelms but hay who knows but there is one going ahead out by the coonagh
    roundabout along with argos and some other things.

But there is defo a state of the art grayhound track being buil on the ennis
    road just past the coonagh check this out Grayhound Track

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

As good as this new cinema is ill still be going to the omni because of the shops

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭epgriffin

According to this article in the limerick post it will open this thursday with the new star wars!
    Anyone know where there online booking site is? :D

Portlaoise and Cavan Storm Cinemas are both on this site: http://www.stormcavan.com/pages/index1.htm

Limerick is mentioned, but no listings or info yet. No sign of online booking either.
    I'll be passing nearby at lunchtime, so I'll see if I can see anything.

Dropped by the front door for a quick look. Still a good bit of cleaning up to do in the lobby, but it looks good. No signs in the windows or on the door saying when they're opening. I asked one of the builders there, and he said he hadn't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭epgriffin

Doesn't sound very promising :(
    Still though. I might head down on thursday evening to see if theres any activity around. Could be one of the easiest places in the country to get a seat for star wars if it does open....

I'll drop down at lunchtime on Thursday (I work in the area). Might save you a trip...

If they're opening Thursday night, then the lobby should be spotless on Thursday at lunchtime and there shouldn't be a builder in sight :)

We'll wait and see....

Storm listings are in the Post, so they're opening today.....
    Programmes from Thursday May 19th to Thursday May 26th.

The evening movies are:

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
    6:00, 8:00, 9:30 (11:30 Fri/Sat)

Kingdom of Heaven
    8:15 (11:45 Fri/Sat)

Monster in Law
    6:00, 8:50 (11:20 Fri/Sat)

XXX2
    6:30, 8:40 (11:45 Fri/Sat)

Amityville Horror
    6:00, 9:15 (Midnight Fri/Sat)

Mean Creek
    7:20, 9:30 (11:40 Fri/Sat)

The Life of Richard Nixon
    6:00, 8:45 (11:15 Fri/Sat)

They have a matinees section, with some of those movies and a bunch of kids movies:

SW:ROTS, Kingdom of Heaven, Monster In Law, XXX2, Robots, Pooh Hefalump, Valiant, HHGTTG.

I wanted the main screen, so I got tickets for 8pm on Saturday night (the 6pm was in a smaller screen).

Some prices:

Tickets for adults: € 9
    Medium Popcorn/Drink: € 6.30
    Large Popcorn/Drink : € 6.90

There is no box office - tickets are bought at the food desks (so you only have to queue once). Nice idea when the place is empty, but I don't know how its going to work when the place is packed.

There are lots of geeky looking students hanging around outside waiting for the first show of starwars. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Live other isde of town but i'd like to see the competition!

was in last night for the 8pm show of starwars on the big screen...
    9 euro cant remember how much the omni is...

class place
    lovely new smell about it
    great sound and the stadium seating was great..
    no problem with the view being spoilt by lads in front...
    great big screen...
    real american feel about the inside of it....
    looking forward to next trip...

and best of all was back home within 5 minutes........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Whazzup?

Went to 8pm screening of SW EP3. Nice cinema clean with smell of new. Huge screen great sound BUT.. The print was damaged. Vertical black lines through the whole film like an old Charlie Chaplin flick. Terrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Whazzup?

Don't watch this film in Storm Castletroy unless they have sorted the picture out. New Reel I'd say!

Went to Ep III last night at 8. The print is fixed, you'll be glad to hear! Lovely cinema... Don't think screen 1 is too much bigger than screen 1 in the omniplex, but the seats are twice as comfortable. Aircon was on a little high (it was cold in there), but otherwise it was a great experience. Looking forward to seeing how the smaller screens compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Went there this lunch time to see EPIII gotta be best the cinema with out a doubt jus brilliant everything was good except the toilets where a bit far awy that was the only problem

The toilets are at the halfway point between the 8 screen wing and the 6 screen wing (due to open in February). So they're positioned fine (relative to everything else).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Was up there watching star wars the other nite and was impressed by the layout. Although strange at the mo when you go to the counter "ya popcorn and a coke oh and two tickets please for star wars" very strange.

Seats are class and the rows are all staggered nicely,only complaint and its major was the fooking air con. It was broken and blowing cold air on me for 2hrs. Was blue coming outta the place.

Nukem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

dont knopw if i like the idea of the food line and the ticket line in the one line

lets see how it plays out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rasp05

:( i was in storm cimema (castletroy) last nite to see SWIII and it was my First experience of Storm Cinema- It wont last a Month- :p the idea of geeting your drinks & popcorn with tickets is not good.. There is No Sign to Tell you what Films are on in which screens- Air con. too Cold- as for the distance the toilets are away from screen 1- crazy- god help anyone that gets the trots from over-indulging on popcorn- sorry lads :D you won't make the toilet's in time!! cinema will only be kept open by UL students- too far from town! also will be a hangout for the wee little boy-racers- loitering around- was'nt too happen leaving my car there last night... pity it so far from town too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Just been to the cinema.

Had planned to see "Kingdom of Heaven" at 23.45 according to the display screens in the cinema.

Arrived there with my gf at 23.40. The idea of standing in line at the popcorn counter to buy tickets is crazy!!

Then we were told that there was no 23.45 showing of Kingdom. "But it's on your display screen", we said. "Oh they're a week out of date, we're having problems with them", was the reply. My gf suggested that they should have notices up to warn the public that they are having problems with their screen - no such signs were to be found.

So we opted for "Millions" instead (very good film btw!!).

We went into screen 6 into what I can only describe as arctic conditions. The air conditioning was on steroids and the screen 6 cinema was filthy - popcorn, popcorn containers and drinks containers still there from previous showing. And I don't mean on the floor - they were still in the seat holders.

My gf went to speak to the "manager" to ask for the air con to be turned down/off and pointed out that the cinema had not been cleaned. The manager was about to start with his excuses and she told him not to bother, that "it wasn't good enough, just turn the air con down, please".

When we left the cinema at 1.30am, the three staff (including "manager") were outside having a cigarette. We thanked them for NOT turning down the air con, pointing out that it was freezing inside the cinema. The "manager" turned to his colleague and asked "Did you not turn it down?" to which we replied loudly "No, and this is not good enough." I replied that it was WARMER outside the cinema (outisde temp was probably 5-6 degrees!!)

I can't believe that we spent €18 for the pleasure of being frozen in an unclean cinema. Not any more......

Mike.

p.s. Try the new cinema in Mahon Point, Cork - its EXCELLENT. Saw SWIII there last week. It's cheaper at €8 and you don't need thermal underwear either!!! And there are 13 screens to choose from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭stones

jesus more ppl complaining bout new storm than anything else , not looking good for it, only heard bad things about it... Its a great opportunity, pity if its not run right,..

Advertisement