Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave antenna help

• 05-05-2005 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

On IBB in Cork. Ripwave modem. Download is fine, about 480-510 of max 512. Upload, which should be 128, fluctuates between 10 and 60. Which is almost as crippling as the TWO THOUSAND MILISEC ping to the gateway. Seems the modem can recieve signals from the BTS just fine, but hasn't got the oomph to broadcast back strongly enough. Anyone know a good supplier of 3.5 Ghz indoor antennas (maybe around 14dB-16dB gain)? And are IBB likely to give me go-ahead to use one if I ask them (as it says I must in the small print)? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

Hi, I have same problems with Ripwave (in Cork). I rang IrishBroadband and asked them about pings -- they told me that "ping times are not guaranteed with the Ripwave service". I sent them an e-mail two weeks ago asking if very large ping times are is what I should expect (100 ms? 1000ms?), but they have not answered it yet.
    I also asked about the internal battery and the signal booster antenna (I get a "yellow" signal everywhere in the house) -- they replied that IBB do not supply them, but I can buy them from somebody else. So I suppose they would not mind if I used a booster. However, I can't find neither the battery nor the booster antenna on the internet :( Any ideas where I can get them would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭jleavy046

victor8600 wrote:
    I also asked about the internal battery and the signal booster antenna (I get a "yellow" signal everywhere in the house) -- they replied that IBB do not supply them, but I can buy them from somebody else. So I suppose they would not mind if I used a booster. However, I can't find neither the battery nor the booster antenna on the internet :( Any ideas where I can get them would be appreciated.

Hi,
    AFAIK you can get these from any of the manufacturers partners...

http://www.navini.com/pages/partners/TechPartner/current.htm

Joe Leavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shuichi

Only decent looking antenna I can find in the 3.5Ghz band is on an Australian site. http://therfwave.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=112 Only 8dB gain (should theoretically boost signal by almost 7x, if my log equations aren't too rusty since leaving cert....), would prefer 15 or so....but maybe that wouldn't be a good idea considering the microwave output-it'll be going in my kitchen!

OOI, are you noticing weird happenings with the bandwidth and response times on Cork Ripwave network today? Pings going up and down erratically (pinged google, min=98 max=3360! Bandwidth has been ranging from 10kbs to 310kbs, usually centering around the 260 mark. Can't tell if it's their lousy service, or my tempremental firewall/router that's the problem. Anyone else in same boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

jleavy046 wrote:
    Hi,
    AFAIK you can get these from any of the manufacturers partners...

http://www.navini.com/pages/partners/TechPartner/current.htm

Joe Leavy

Yes, seems like TESSCO was selling batteries for Ripwave for $100 not a long time ago. Anyway, 100 bucks is too much for a battery.

Advertisement