Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats size JPEGs are best?

Options
  • 05-05-2005 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

I'm currently working on a web design which is fairly photo-heavy. There could be anything from 2 to 10 photos per page. My question is, what size (in kbs) should I be reducing them down to for sufficiently fast page loading? I'm using Photoshop Elements LE.

BTW, this question is purely from a hobbyist point of view (I'm no pro!), so apologies if it's a basic question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What are the photo dimensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

30k per image

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I'd guess less than 200k, Id aim for about 20-80k each. Also are you using the lowsrc attribute of the img tag, to load low res gif/jpg images, can be quite handy for dial up users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

150 - 200k per page max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Thanks all for the quick replies.

What I'm doing for each photo is using a small size pic of the original (i.e. 320 x 160, approx 2/3kb) on the page, which can be clicked to show the full image. The full image photo's are (I think!) 1280 x 960 or 1280 x 1024, with original size of 570kb. so I want to reduce those down.

Silas, what exactly is the method you suggest for dial-up? Does it entail generating another photo, separate to the above, and linking to that? Does the user browser then just pick the appropriate image depending on the connection (the low res for slow speeds and the high res for broadband, etc).

Hostyle, when you say 200kb max per page, I assume you mean the combined size of all photos on that page?

• Advertisement
Advertisement