Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50megs.com/

Options
  • 05-05-2005 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

does anybody have any experience with 50megs.com for hosting their website.
    A .com name + one year is working out at $50/ year. it id 50MB within 1 GB transfer
    I think they offer everthing that other companies offer, i.e stats,10 email address

ill prob sign up with them,it looks that way at the moment anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You could get a comparable deal from an Irish company these days.

The problem with using a US host is that they are on the other side of the globe if anything goes wrong or you need techical support.

Of course I am biased, but why do you think I started a hosting company in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

To be honest that is why I shy away from these hosting companies that offer me the sun, moon and stars for only €0.99

For me support is just as important as the package that I get from a host - and if I cant walk up to them and beat them up if they screw me over - then there is no point in handing over my money to them.

I, personally, like the reassurance that any host I use, I can contact via a variety of methods and means, and the chances of them ignoring me is lessened if they are based in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Fair enough. but all I want it is an information site with a contact page, that sends an email.
    For the sake of €30 I could go with your option for a soho package,with linux and get good support, but €30 when your a student, is a night out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

abakan wrote:
    Fair enough. but all I want it is an information site with a contact page, that sends an email.
    For the sake of €30 I could go with your option for a soho package,with linux and get good support, but €30 when your a student, is a night out

Are you sure you have your priorities right? Does missing one night out mean that much to you?

all i want is a cheap site, that can host a website, support dosent really bother me.unless the server goes down.I mean why pay €70 when you can get the same package for cheaper. I take on board the points with support and contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

Use geocities.yahoo.com . No downtime. If you need stats use statcounter.com

I started all those years ago with a Geocities site and never had any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

For about 5 years I used 34sp.com.

50meg / 1GB transfer/mo. / 10 email addy's etc. for £15stg a year (around €23).

Never had any problems from day one.

thanks you for the replys.I went with a US company dreamhost.com, I signed up last night, but that UK company look good to. Im not short on option anyway, there is alot of good cheap hosting around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

SiteGround offer 1GB space and 100GB transfer a month and a .com domain for under €50/year...

I went with them when it was 1GB hosting and 20GB bandwidth and they upgraded a month later and gave me the 100GB for free and also doubled my databases from 5 MySQL and 5 PostgreSQLs to 10 of each..
    Also Linux based, they're never down and if I've ever needed to ask something the support tickets on their homepage take a maximum of 20 minutes to be answered by someone in their offices...

Not gonna go spamming their link around anywhere but it's WELL worth shopping around before you go jumping at someone like 50megs.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

If you're a student then sounds like u got a good deal but for running a business i'd never shop outside Ireland again. Was with ipowerweb for two years running company's website and email and allthough the prices were excellent, when we had a few problems and lost email for a week I realised pretty quick how handy it is being able to phone dublin instead of california to have a simple problem resolved. If price is a factor fine but if you want good, fast support id stay local.

• Advertisement

pclancy - nicely put

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

abakan wrote:

Any content site can more than pay for itself throught text-based advertising, if you want to go down that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyrecords

first warning, one more and there is a banning

That wouldn't have been an ADVERTISEMENT, would it? Tut-tut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyrecords

he asked for opinion and i said i can host him, im not advertising anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

i can host you for cheap mate :)
    i can arrange a free trial if you want to see for yourself

You'd be making money from 'offering your services' - how's that not advertising then?

i can host you for cheap mate :)
    i can arrange a free trial if you want to see for yourself

how much space you need? and what bandwith requirement?

to be honest irish companies rip you off blind! i buy dedicated in bulk and ressell them / usem them to host my sites.

whats your exact requirements?

That is blatant self promotion / advertising.

I reckon he just letting me know there is more alternatives around then the Irish sites,cheaper to. I think they call it competition.
    I have been hosting my site now for about 3 weeks in the states and sent 3 emails and they have responded very promptly with answers.

No, he quite clearly suggested using his own commercial service.
    4. NO ADVERTISING. You want to advertise, go and buy a block of banners from the Boards.ie owners.

Advertisement