Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hibernian's Provisional Ignition: my chances?

Options
  • 05-05-2005 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I'm 22 and have got a quote of over €500 less from Hibernian than Quinn-Direct for first time insurance IF I pass the Provisional Ignition course that they run. It costs €70 (non-refundable)

I have driven a motrcycle for 2.5 yrs, full licence, passed the bike ignition etc so am familiar and comfortable with the rules of the road. I have never really driven a car on the road however, other than about 4 driving lessons although I have done some driving off-road on lanes, etc. near my home.

It's a catch 22 for me as they won't insure me unless I pass the prov ignition test and I won't get much experience to enable me to be confident of passing it unless I am insured and driving.

I had a lesson today which went well and as the instructor pointed out €500 would buy a lot of lessons and he feels I should pass although he doesnt too know much about it. So has anyone here done it and how hard was it?

I was considering getting 3 months insurance with QuinnD by telling them I was emigrating after that and then hopefully passing the Prov Igntion with Hibernian after that and switching to them but I dont know if this (3 months insurance) is possble?

Any advice most welcome! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

I did the provisional ignition course and as long as you don't have* any bad habits, you're able to drive, and nerves don't get the better of you, you'll be fine. When I did it, he took me out from the airport (where I did it), down to Swords, Malahide and back to the airport. He gives you the odd hint if you're doing something wrong too.

He wants to see you do things like make sure you've plenty of room if you've to overtake a parked truck and you don't go into a yellow box until it's safe to do so....etc. They don't ask you to do a turnabout or reverse around a corner. I did a hill start but that may have been because I just happened to be stopped at a light. He will ask you to reverse into a parking space but he wouldn't mind (would prefer even) if you pick a spot which doesn't have any cars around it. You could even drive frontways into the space in front, and reverse back (making it dead simple like)

You get marked on 10 things IIRC (couldn't list them) from 1-5, 1 being least dangerous, 5 being most dangerous, I got 2 4's, 3 2's and the rest were 3, and I passed.

Hope this helps, and good luck with it :)

*or you can hide them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭IrishTW

Thanks a mil Declan, doesn't seem so bad now! ;)

Advertisement