Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 letter .ie domain names?

Options
  • 05-05-2005 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

I didn't think it was possible to register 2 letter .ie domain names?

www.n7.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Domain names with 2 characters may be permitted provided that not both are letters. Two letter domains are still not permitted

from this site

Eoin

<edit> Doesn't actually seem to make much sense - the AA should be allowed to register aa.ie, but they can't under those rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You cannot register 2 letter IE domains regardless of what you might *like* to do.
    You can register a letter and a number, so n7.ie would be allowed, as would o2.ie

There is only one IE domain consisting of two letters - ul.ie - which predates the IEDR

The reasoning behind the two letter rule is to avoid possible conflicts with other ccTLDs
    You will also find that this rule is not peculiar to Ireland and that other registries have very similar regulations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

So I cant get tom.bk.ie then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

tom-thebox wrote:
    So I cant get tom.bk.ie then?

don't think so, tom is only a subdomain, bk.ie is the domain you have to register for, which is not permitted as mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

mart_max wrote:
    don't think so, tom is only a subdomain, bk.ie is the domain you have to register for, which is not permitted as mentioned above.

Really, oh darn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement