Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a club.

Options
  • 05-05-2005 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

My brother is 13 and is a keen basketball player, however his only oppertunity to play is in school. Their season has finished for the summer and he's got nowhere to train/play.

Could anyone let me know of a club for his age group in the Leixlip/Lucan area. We're willing to travel (within reason!)

Thanks in advance.

A.M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

There's some contact info about Boys U-14 bball here:
    http://www.basketballireland.ie/area_boards.asp

Post-primary bball here:
    http://www.basketballireland.ie/schools.asp

That's all a quick search could find. I'll have another look later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Cheers lafortezza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I know of clubs in Kilcock and Summerhill, but Dublin clubs are probably much more accessible from Lucan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

The season haas ended... best idea would be to get him into a summer camp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The school & club season generally run simultaneously. The best thing to do for him is to go to dungarvan/arena camps.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks, will check that out.

Oh another thing,although he'll pick up alot of tips/hints/guidance at the camps,it would proably be a good idea to get a hoop & backboard in the garden.I wouldnt imagine it costing too much & sure he could do work around the house to pay it off. Only other advice to give to him is to practice & bring the ball with him everywhere he goes.

Cheers :)

You wouldn't happen to know if there's a website where I can find out about the camps near Dungarven? Or an e-mail address, I can't seem to find one. (There's probably one staring me in the face when I search for it, but I'm a little sleep deprived at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Ring 01-4590211 which is Mary Carty from Basketball Ireland.

Beware, there might be no places left, it used to book out each year when I was a kid.

Cheers, I'll check it out later :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Amz - the amenities always had basketball teams through the age groups, my sis of a similar age was playing up there until a year ago - and I played u-16s up there as well.

Though the quality isn't great - I was shooting a few at half time during one of my sis's games and was asked to join the senior team :eek: - he may be better off looking further a field if he wants to develop

Depending on where you want to travel there are a number of clubs.You've got Notre Dame & Templeogue on the southside.THen you've got St. Vincents in Glasnevin. They'd probably be the closest to yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭hardwoodhero

The clondalkin lakers have a ton of underage teams. They play in clondalkin sports and leisure centre which is about 20 mins from leixlip.

Advertisement