Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been waiting 2 months for ISDN line install

Options
  • 05-05-2005 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

I posted this thread in the nets/comms forum. Should probably have posted it to here, so I'll just link to it instead.

Have any of you guys been in a similar situation to this? If so, what possible course of action is there?

I did a search on boards here for philip nolan's email address, which I found, and mailed him a transcript of the post.
    After getting off 1901 for the 2nd time today, I swear, I was fit to strangle the first person I met.
    €ircon rep told me that my complaint had been registered and that I should expect a call from the operations manager within 10 days.

Having been told umpteen times to expect a call from an €ircon employee, and never having heard from one, I have no faith whatsoever that I will fear from anyone within operations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I'm sure it's prob b/c it's not available
    but why arent u getting broadband?
    What's your area?

I love dealing with eircon. The best thing it to get a direct number and a name and keep ringint that person until they sort you out. Don't accept to be transferred or deal with anyone else. Wait on teh line until they sort you out. This person should be a supervisor rather than a button monkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

egan007 wrote:
    I'm sure it's prob b/c it's not available
    but why arent u getting broadband?
    What's your area?
    If the line is cutting out on dial-up it is likely not to be suitable for broadband either. Such situations are dealt with by Eircom on a "case by case basis", i.e., you won't get DSL. Some people have had some success by first ordering ISDN (which requires a reasonable line) and then testing for DSL. At least a reasonable line for ISDN can be requested as opposed to DSL where you need a good line to begin with.

It looks like Eircom can't be bothered installing a new line capable of ISDN in Tzetze's case. May not be economically interesting to them or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

My point being
    Wireless may be available
    Drop eircom altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Thanks for the reply guys.

I have no hope of getting BB currently in my area (rural Co. Monaghan). Initially, when ordering the ISDN, I was told that there would be a survey made as some sort of qualifying test. I'm guessing that because I've received a full statement for the installation cost, a direct debit mandate form and a bill of €61, that they are intending to install the line.

I like the idea of getting a direct number and a name to keep in regular contact with. I will try that approach.

Wireless is not available, currently. I wish i could ditch eircom altogether, but my only hope of getting a consistent connection is an ISDN line. The current PSTN line will connect and stay connected just fine, but while connected and trying to download, there are regular periods of inactivity of up to 2 minutes. (NetMedic shows no traffic in either direction when there should be).

I'd even settle for a consistent PSTN line.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Installation - under the terms of our (eircom's) customer service guarantee if we fail to install your line within 10 working days of our agreeing to do so you can claim a credit of two months free rental. Also if you have a complaint about installation we aim to resolve your complaint within 10 working days.

There you go, they have to fix it in 10 days and have to give you two months free rental.

And go to Comreg!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

In my experience, it took over 3 months to get ISDN installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Tzetze wrote:
    ...but my only hope of getting a consistent connection is an ISDN line. The current PSTN line will connect and stay connected just fine, but while connected and trying to download, there are regular periods of inactivity of up to 2 minutes. (NetMedic shows no traffic in either direction when there should be).

I'd even settle for a consistent PSTN line.

Tzetze, I have ISDN in rural Co Wexford, and I'd say don't get your hopes up too high about a consistent connection. I don't know if it's the line or my ISP, but I have regularly irregular periods of inactivity for two minutes... or more. It is extremely annoying. (It makes my McAfee virus updates time out frequently. I have to remember to manually update at times.)

I have to say it is better than the 16.8kbps connection I used to have in my former location in the same area! But still it makes me want to tear my hair out and scream.

The advice of getting a supervisor's number and ringing back regularly for an update on your complaint is good advice. Press them for the free service you are now due (however, be aware it will take persistence and repeated calls to your designated person to get the refund they will credit to your account for the two months' line rental).

Please, for the sake of yourself and all of us, please report to ComReg regarding eircom's failure to deliver!

Good luck.

Ban

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

In my experience, it took over 3 months to get ISDN installed.

Back when i was a wee wipper snapper it took 2 months as far as i know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They're very hit and miss. Took < 2 working days for me (non-rural).

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

dahamsta wrote:
    They're very hit and miss. Took < 2 working days for me (non-rural).

adam

Adam, they wouldn't go messing with you!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement