Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP Games dumped...

Options
  • 05-05-2005 5:22pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sombody managed to crack and dump UMD games. Very impresive considering the closed nature of them and the lack or readers. I can guess the cracker works in PSP game dev.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000713042341/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

All they have to do now is find some way to play them....
    .....which will bt the hard part, no?
    Anyway, progress is progress, although, hope it doesn't happen too soon, or there will be no industry left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

How much data is stored on an UMD? Could it be transfered to a memory stick perhaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

It's about 1.8GB. I'm impressed that someone could do that. Now all we need is a good emulator and we can play japanese imports! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well this is where the crackers job comes to an end, now its up to the reverse engineers of this world to figure out how to make it playable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

http://www.bannedandroastedmoronuserfromspace.com

hmmm only 152.5 MB for Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Cracking UMD is indeed impressive, but it's still a relatively easy feat compared with reverse engineering the PSP and then finding some way of getting PC hardware to emulate it at over 2 fps. I'm still wating for them to perfect that ps2 emu ;)

(I do actually own one so no piracy accusations please, although I suspect this thread will be locked if there are many more contributions)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

They aren't talking about getting it working on a pc. It's getting it working on a psp which should be possible through the memory sticks.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

yea screw emulating the psp, theres enough games to play on the pc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

This sounds an awful lot like when the Ngage was cracked for other nokia series 60 phones........ I doubt sony would have made it that easy as nokia did though, reading whats on the disc is one thing, making it playable off the ProDuo is a different ballgame alltogether. (I really hope that Im proved wrong though..... Im kinda bored importing all the games...)

I am a moron. No more posting after 30 hours without sleep for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Hmm, what reads faster UMD or memory stick? And which uses less battery power? This could kill or.... really-not-kill the PSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

snag0005rp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nim_old

So what about the 1.0 to 1.50 OS upgrade? it runs from the memorystick or network so have someone cracked that binary and figured something out about executables?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Thats nothing to do with the UMD crack thats just about runniing code from the memmory stick. There are a load of cavets with it from what I read. Good start though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nim_old

ah sorry, mixed up two threads.
    well anyway, what's a cavet? (dictionary didn't have it)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

nim wrote:

Caveat

nim wrote:

sorry crap spelling due to lack of sleep...

Pah, that old excuse? :D

Up at 6 am yasterday, home at 11 am this morning, less then 2 hours sleep in between. All the awke time was spent trecking around the mountains with a heavy backpack so im wrecked now... ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sony themselves were touting the notion of downloadable game demos, so with that in mind then games running from mem stick is a sound one.
    Hmmm... All those weird jap games I can't bring myself to buy... jap schoolgirl Majong anyone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement