Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIGPO - Notify

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I take the last part bolded above to imply that a PM doesn't have to be sent and doesn't have to be stated

Anyway leave it to Gordo to clarify and then it is up to people to follow the instructions

ah c'mon, you can't really be saying the last bit 'implys' the opposite to what is clearly stated one line above it?!

You are right though about leaving it to Gordon, I reported my post above for Gordon to clarify it when he's around. I'm sure he can clean up our off topicness also...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You don't have to send a PM, read what it says again, especially the bit that is in bold

Ideally people would send PM's but people stopped doing it because they were getting abuse for it

So instead they link to the profile and the Admins snip the sigs when they see them

As stated in the opening post of this thread, I don't think it is a typo as that is the way the process has been working for the last while
    Aye, that's correct, cheers.

Long ago sigpo was a group of people dedicated to ridding the world of large signatures so they set up this thread to get like minded people politely notifying users of large sigs, community looking after itself. But, aye, people ended up getting grief for doing it and it caused them problems so they didn't bother PMing the user, instead posted here the offending username.

This has worked fairly well for YEARS until recently where some people, I think, are using this thread to get back at people that annoy them. So, feedforward is thankfully looking into new sig policies that the community will be happy with. Until that time (which I think should be soon) we're stuck with the old method of reporting sigs (incidentally if you want to report a sig in private just PM me).

Maybe I should wipe everything in the first post and say [sigrules] "If you see someone with a large/offending sig please post here" to be honest as it would take away the confusion! I'll leave that until my hangover disappears though :)

Does that make more sense?!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Gordon wrote: »

Long ago sigpo was a group of people dedicated to ridding the world of large signatures so they set up this thread to get like minded people politely notifying users of large sigs, community looking after itself. But, aye, people ended up getting grief for doing it and it caused them problems so they didn't bother PMing the user, instead posted here the offending username.

This has worked fairly well for YEARS until recently where some people, I think, are using this thread to get back at people that annoy them. So, feedforward is thankfully looking into new sig policies that the community will be happy with. Until that time (which I think should be soon) we're stuck with the old method of reporting sigs (incidentally if you want to report a sig in private just PM me).

Maybe I should wipe everything in the first post and say [sigrules] "If you see someone with a large/offending sig please post here" to be honest as it would take away the confusion! I'll leave that until my hangover disappears though :)

thanks for that Gordon. I don't think you need to go that far! but it might be worth tidying up the first posts contradictions in the rules for reporting?

eg:
    These rules however, are not a perfect solution, as some feel the need to break them. And that is where the SIGPO come in. If you see a user who's sig is in breach of the aforestated rules, then post a link to their profile here and an Admin will will snip the sig when they get to it.

Remember though, boards is a community, why not pm the user and give them a chance to adjust their sig themselves? You don't have to, but the Admins won't have time too. Some users would appreciate the chance to keep their sigs within the rules if they knew they were breaking them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Gordon wrote: »

Ok so your saying the person whos sig might be 5 pixels to large gets their sig deleted without being notified or without being given the 48hours to change, hardly fair now?

The main issue i had was that people weren't saying if they had notified or not, they have to say if they have notified them or not when posting here right?

Yeah, might take that copacetic, ta.
    Ok so your saying the person whos sig might be 5 pixels to large gets their sig deleted without being notified or without being given the 48hours to change, hardly fair now?
    It's the way it has been for 5 years.
    The main issue i had was that people weren't saying if they had notified or not, they have to say if they have notified them or not when posting here right?
    I'm not going to put rules on people that are out to help out, if they can it'd be smashing if they PMd the user, but I'm not expecting that. If someone felt uneasy PMing another user out of the blue then they may not report the offensive signature, and then there will be upset people and no change.

I took it that if someone did not say anything - then they haven't done anything, so I snipped the sig as I don't warn people, so how will they get time to change their sig if they don't get warned?!

Incidentally homer_simpson, your sig is still too big! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

First post updated.

Black_Knight
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=142165
    Too high, no biggie but there is a limit for a reason.

This is my take on things: If SIGPO have to PM users and then wait 48 hours and then post in this thread it means the onus is on us to do all the work.
    Why should we have to do all this work when it's the user breaching the rules who is in the wrong? Sometimes more than once.
    "Ignorance of the rules is no excuse".

I don't mind PMing users really, often that's quicker too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Sig got removed yesterday for being too big, I think it was probably due to a large amount of text. Is this one okay?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Archimedes wrote: »
    Sig got removed yesterday for being too big, I think it was probably due to a large amount of text. Is this one okay?

You have nearly 80k in images, when the limit is 20k.

• Advertisement

The backpage image isn't, sorry.
    It's more than 20KB by itself and also a few px too high (no biggie but limit is 125).
    The total is 20KB for all images.

I used http://www.resizeyourimage.com/ to make it a bit smaller so it fits the rules.
    2b894.jpg

You'll have to change the other image for something less heavy or use software to make it lighter.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

biko wrote: »
    Black_Knight
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=142165
    Too high, no biggie but there is a limit for a reason.

Nah, dude! :(

Would it be alright if I left 1 of them? If I go 25px smaller they might be too small to scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

For folks who are unsure about size of their images. Right click on image and then click on view image info tab.

spiritoftheseventies

Sig too big, 126 pixels (1 pixel out)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=244240

Damit i though i had him, but i think its 126 wide maybe, still not sure so still reporting!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

BOOM! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Would it be alright if I left 1 of them? If I go 25px smaller they might be too small to scan.
    I will have to say no out of principle (cannot set a precedent) but maybe Gordon will see it differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

biko wrote: »

I will have to say no out of principle (cannot set a precedent) but maybe Gordon will see it differently.
    Here are the two of them reduced to 125x125:
    imgphps5dhttp3a2f2fadve.png...imgphps5dhttp3a2f2fadve.png

Are they any use?

<nosey>
    In what way must they "scan"?
    </nosey>

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Rovi wrote: »

<nosey>
    </nosey>

They're digital barcodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=177491

Has three pics, each 140x140, so overall sig is too big

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Rovi wrote: »
    Here are the two of them reduced to 125x125:
    Are they any use?

<nosey>
    </nosey>
    They are! Cheers!
    They scan to a link to a phone I have for sale on adverts, the same item if you just click on the image. You can get barcode scanners on new phones these days. The irony being, if your phone can scan it, its probably better then the phone im selling. :rolleyes:

Anyways, back on topic

• Advertisement

spiritoftheseventies

Damit i though i had him, but i think its 126 wide maybe, still not sure so still reporting!!!
    Homer you are aware that the width limit is 500? Height limit is 125. :rolleyes:

Homer you are aware that the width limit is 500? Height limit is 125. :rolleyes:

Do you think im stupid or something, thats why i edited my post to say i think its 126 pixels wide as oppossed to 126 pixels tall which i initailly thought it was.

Back in your box....

Also i see a lot of the people you seem to be reporting are people you have gripes with, take for example your last sig report you seemed to have a discussion with them on their profile messages recently, and one other time i noticed you having an arguement with 2 different members on a thread you seemed to take offence with them expressing their views which was different to your views, within minutes their sigs were reported...

Dont worry your day will come....

P.S. i will not post any more on this here, we shouldnt be discussing it here.

spiritoftheseventies

This is not a race, nor a chase, if you are going to post here, please leave your gripes and problems with other people at the door.

Now, everyone on topic* (if you aren't sure what the topic is then read the first post), I'm serious.

*or is "Back in your box" now acceptable language? I think not, so less of that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Thought I was going mad there for a minute but... this user seems to have several sigs on rotation, some animated and some not.

At least when I refresh this post, the sig changes for me. V distracting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

if they take out the line advertisting Boards charity book will that do?

Just talking about the image

• Advertisement

A few of these up at the moment by various users.. 10 px to high in any case.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=44315

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement