Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIGPO - Notify

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well my signature breaks no rules. If the term bastard was against the rules the filter would block it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

2 big images and two lines of text.

Username= Antamojo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Boston wrote:
    Smashey : I don't really need to see a pigs head mate.

I edited my sig before I saw this. The pig's head is quite common at the moment. If you don't like it, isn't there an option for turning off sigs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Which one of you nazi's got me for having a sig the right size?

• Advertisement

smashey wrote:
    I edited my sig before I saw this. The pig's head is quite common at the moment. If you don't like it, isn't there an option for turning off sigs?

You could say that about any sig posted here. Why should I have to turn off signatures because you're unable to understand common decency or use the slightest bit of cop on. Heres a clue, if the chances are that posting the image would get you banned and it deleted from most forums on boards, then having it in your signature is not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Boston wrote:
    You could say that about any sig posted here. Why should I have to turn off signatures because you're unable to understand common decency or use the slightest bit of cop on. Heres a clue, if the chances are that posting the image would get you banned and it deleted from most forums on boards, then having it in your signature is not a good idea.

The pig's head was a bit of fun from another forum. If you're going to spout about common decency and cop on, then I would suggest you take a look at your own sig first. As cast-iron said, there are people who would find the wording of it offensive.

smashey wrote:
    The pig's head was a bit of fun from another forum. If you're going to spout about common decency and cop on, then I would suggest you take a look at your own sig first. As cast-iron said, there are people who would find the wording of it offensive.

If you actually believed there was nothing wrong with you signature then you wouldn't have removed it, as you claim, prior to me pointing it out.

As for my sig, do you actually find it offensive or are you just mouthing off. Some people *may* find it offensive, but none enough to point out that they actually do find it offensive.

I don't take too kindly to being accused of "mouthing off". I changed my sig to include a link to boards.tv before I read this and then you mentioned "decency" and "cop on". Now, if you were to abide by these, you would surely realise that there are some people who would take offence at the wording of your sig. Whether they say so or not is a moot point. Not everybody will know of the sigpo thread, nor would they realise that they could post on feedback.

Regarding the pig's head,
    Boston wrote:
    Heres a clue, if the chances are that posting the image would get you banned and it deleted from most forums on boards, then having it in your signature is not a good idea.
    The image was created in the BGRH forum for a bit of fun and then sized to suit the sigpo rules by an SMod. Now if it was going to lead to bans and be deleted from most fora, don't you think the SMod would have been aware of this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Boston, I had the same pic in my sig and have also taken it down and not because you reported Smashey's sig. I took it down because the moment for the joke had passed. As Smashey pointed out it was just for a bit of fun on another forum with Pighead. You are right in saying that it might be considered offensive in some Forums. I wouldn't post in the Islam Forum with it in my sig for instance because it would cause offence. Read their Charter, Hobbbes covered sigs as well, an excellent Charter if I may say so. The pic wasn't about causing offence it was pure fun.
    Get off your high horse. Live and let live.

smashey you are mouthing off, you don't find my signature offensive. All the wishy washy "someone might" find it offensive business, until you find someone who does, you haven't a leg to stand on. In addition it is currently acceptable to use the term in posts, therefore no Smod could justify removing it.

However Images of Cut up and decapitated animals aren't in good taste, and anyone with an drop of cop on would realise that they should be in your signature. You've over 2700 posts, every single one of them had that image in them.
    Hagar wrote:
    The pic wasn't about causing offence it was pure fun.
    Get off your high horse. Live and let live.

Clearly you are wrong since I took offense to it.

Boston wrote:
    smashey you are mouthing off, you don't find my signature offensive. All the wishy washy "someone might" find it offensive business, until you find someone who does, you haven't a leg to stand on. In addition it is currently acceptable to use the term in posts, therefore no Smod could justify removing it.

However Images of Cut up and decapitated animals aren't in good taste, and anyone with an drop of cop on would realise that they should be in your signature. You've over 2700 posts, every single one of them had that image in them.

You want us to put it back then? :D

Actually Boston, you're the one mouthing off. I have explained what it was all about and why it was removed. Hagar has done the same, yet you can't let it go. Oh, I have over 2700 posts. So what? Helllllooooooo, it isn't there anymore, whereas your 10400 posts add up to 31200 instances of the word "bastard". We'll have to agree to disagree about this.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The pig's head was nasty. I don't think images of dead animals are ever really that funny. Perhaps that's because I'm a soft touch when it comes to animals - or perhaps it's because I have deep underlying psychological issues around mortality - I don't know.

As for Boston's sig; there's nothing wrong with him calling himself a bastard as much as he wants. Who's going to be offended by it? The word doesn't even have a meaning that's relevant to society today, so I can't see the harm. However, if someone could explain to me how people might find it offensive, I might see the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

His ma might not be too impressed. :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I know a bastard, and he is not impressed.
    The scientist has that pig head thing too. Don't see the problem, after all there is a forum with a sticky for pictures of dead animals.

I know a bastard, and he is not impressed.
    The scientist has that pig head thing too. Don't see the problem, after all there is a forum with a sticky for pictures of dead animals.

I don't know what that thread is but I persume I'd have to go looking, which is one thing. Scrolling past multiple images of dead animals in a thread, especially when you're not excepting it, is just replusive. I might have laughted at the image in context once on some thread, but it's not the type of thing I need to see over and over again on random threads.

The pig's head was nasty. I don't think images of dead animals are ever really that funny. Perhaps that's because I'm a soft touch when it comes to animals - or perhaps it's because I have deep underlying psychological issues around mortality - I don't know.

As for Boston's sig; there's nothing wrong with him calling himself a bastard as much as he wants. Who's going to be offended by it? The word doesn't even have a meaning that's relevant to society today, so I can't see the harm. However, if someone could explain to me how people might find it offensive, I might see the light.

I was giving it some perspective. Boston was offended by the pig and that is his prerogative. I know quite a few people personally who don't have any time for the word "bastard" (and quite a few others), either spoken or written. I certainly wouldn't use any language that would offend them when I am talking to them. Now, I don't know too many members of boards.ie personally, but it might be possible that out of over 100,000 members there are a few people like those I mentioned. That's what I was getting at, but, at the end of the day, until such a person makes his or her feelings known we'll never know.

May I go now? :D

For all you know my signature is factually accurate.

Boston wrote:
    For all you know my signature is factually accurate.

Don't tempt me.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Robert ninja

490 x 130 px / 32kb

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The pig's head was nasty.
    Hardly. I saw a pig's head, not an animated gif of entrails.
    I don't think images of dead animals are ever really that funny.
    No generally they aren't. Context however, may add (sometimes dark) humour.
    or perhaps it's because I have deep underlying psychological issues around mortality - I don't know.
    I have deep underlying psychological issues around mortality (and the paperwork to prove it), but have no problem posting this pic.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Boston wrote:

A PM notification would have been nice, but seeing as there appears to be a few sensitive souls around here I've changed mine back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Boston wrote:
    didn't you ever read Lord of the Flies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Ciderman - 11 lines of text.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

bolliwoodi - HUGE.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Jello wrote:
    bolliwoodi - HUGE.

Just about to post that. Its an ape of a thing

• Advertisement

Here.from.day.1.

Image too big.

Notified.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement