Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIGPO - Notify

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sully wrote:
    User: allen175

Signature to wide, to tall and to big (over 80kB)

PM sent. :)

Complied! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

User: Macros42

Referal link..

Notified.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Kanney
    High, centered, notified

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Biko, above, too big. I'm sure he'll notice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ibid wrote:
    Biko, above, too big. I'm sure he'll notice.

Eh, no it's not.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote:
    User: Macros42

Referal link..

Notified.

My mistake: Its not actually a referal link. Case Closed! ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

papu

Animated.
    Not notified.

papu

Animated.
    Not notified.
    notified

and fixed, cheers

dub_dan
    Notified and reported ages ago by me and Anti. I assume he put has it back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

demanufactured

Signature image too large 180x180.

PM sent.

:)

• Advertisement

<snip>

One of the exceptions apparently. :)
    Someone should update the first post with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Run&Coke
    Changed I think, but new one still violates text size rule. Just notified.

smccarick
    Centred. Just notified.

CathyMoran
    Too wide. Just notified.

Catch up time, most have complied, but:
    here.from.day.1
    Centred. Notified 5 days ago. Ignored.

Cookies
    Centred. Notified 10 days ago. Ignored.

Onkle
    Too big. Notified 2 weeks ago. Ignored.

Royale with Cheese
    Notified and reported numerous times. Ignored every time.

Oh yes, and 6th
    Woeful punctuation. He's such a regular, notication not necessary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I've had cast_iron PM me saying that my sig breaks the rules because it is centred - I'm looking for some clarification on this.

The sig rules as posted by cloud do not actually prohibit centred signatures from what I can see and the word "centred" is only used in his post in what I see as an exaggeration for effect.

It is part of a paragraph talking about people using their common sense and is part of a sentence describing a signature with many things wrong with it which, if used, would be ripe for deletion. It doesn't seem to suggest that the centering itself is cause for complaint nor is centering listed within the main rules (which does detail limitations on other commands such as font size, use of quotation marks, use of images etc.).

Can someone link me to a post in which an admin clarifies the situation regarding centred signatures?

I've sent him a PM showing where the most recent ruling on this rule was.

(SMods police the Sigs, Admins havn't since ~2002, from what I can gather)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cast_iron,

I have reviewed the link you provided.
    As I am unable to determine how my signature is in violation of signature rules- please clarify this matter. I reviewed my signature previously and removed content at the request of an SMod and also centred it for compliance with mobile browsers as suggested. This was determined to be fine- it has not been modified since.

Regards,

Shane McCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

My sig used to be centred, but apparently that's a no no as well.

Someone showed me a link to back that up at the time.

If you have been contacted about a signature violation with the reason for violation being because of it being centered - here is the exact reference by Cloud which states its not permitted.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=547710&postcount=1 (Revised 15th Aug 02)
    You're sig should NOT be a giant advertisment for anything. We'll just cut it. A subtle link to something you run online if fine. Use commonsense. [Addition 09.02.07 - just to confirm that referral links are not allowed due to additional forum spam]. Centred, glowing, blinking ads will be deleted without notice. You have been warned.

(I have made in bold the sentance by itself, which states its not permitted. In addition, iv made in italics the word.)

This reference here explains as to why the guideline was brought in. Its refering to the rule which I just stated above. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53459006&postcount=1988

That states as clear as daylight, that centered sigs are not permitted. Those who ignore any warning about their sigantures will more then likely have it removed by an admin. The rules are there, you have been pointed to them. If you dont like them, take it up in Feedback. All we do is point people to the rules if there signature is in violation. If you ignore us, or get rude - we pass it onto an admin. This was clarified recently in a posting in Feedback, in which I addressed the issue of people ignoring the guidelines.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055143477

I do hope that clarifys the position regrading centered sigs. Dont shoot the messenger either. Getting rude/arrogant towards those who inform you will only land you in more sh$t.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sully wrote:
    If you have been contacted about a signature violation with the reason for violation being because of it being centered - here is the exact reference by Cloud which states its not permitted.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=&postcount=1 (Revised 15th Aug 02)

(I have made in bold the sentance by itself, which states its not permitted. In addition, iv made in italics the word.)

This reference here explains as to why the guideline was brought in. Its refering to the rule which I just stated above. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=&postcount=1988

That states as clear as daylight, that centered sigs are not permitted. Those who ignore any warning about their sigantures will more then likely have it removed by an admin. The rules are there, you have been pointed to them. If you dont like them, take it up in Feedback. All we do is point people to the rules if there signature is in violation. If you ignore us, or get rude - we pass it onto an admin. This was clarified recently in a posting in Feedback, in which I addressed the issue of people ignoring the guidelines.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=

I do hope that clarifys the position regrading centered sigs. Dont shoot the messenger either. Getting rude/arrogant towards those who inform you will only land you in more sh$t.

I was not contacted with any reason whatsoever- I was simply told my signature was in violation (no explanation provided) and deal with it or else an admin will be brought in. I was pointed at an 11 page thread as reason why my signature was in violation- which I read 4 times, and was none the wiser. I was not given any reason whatsoever- I was blanket cut-and-pasted an e-mail that said nothing. It was only later this morning that someone else kindly PM'ed me a link to this thread in feedback, which I did not know existed, that I was enlightened. If people want to police signatures in this manner- they need to have a better approach- i.e. tell people what is incorrect, where they are violation with rules (which I did not consider myself in violation as my sig had been modified by an SMod and had content removed a few months ago and had not been changed in the interim). Warning people is fine- but sending blanket PMs that could be viewed as threatening or abusive by someone- from someone they have never had any dealings with previously- is not on. At very least there should be a link to this thread- so someone can come and have a read and see whats actually happening....... I did not get abusive or rude to cast_iron - I simply queried what on earth was happening- I have never had any dealings with him/her previously- ask him or her they will confirm this. I consider this matter closed- unless someone is unhappy with me for some reason (there seems to be quite a queue today :( )

S.

smc: Sorry, I do agree. You should be told. I use a different approach as im not to fond of the set piece suggested, and mines worked OK so far.

Anyway, im just explaining the issue with centered sigs as there seemed to be debate on it. After that, I dont think theres much I can do! :)

I agree with smc also. I just sent the standard PM, which probably could be better worded. I usually point out where exactly people's Sigs are violating the rules, but didn't in this case.

• Advertisement

mayordenis - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=26702

40kb sig image

Notified.

;)

cast_iron wrote:
    I agree with smc also. I just sent the standard PM, which probably could be better worded. I usually point out where exactly people's Sigs are violating the rules, but didn't in this case.

A few pages back I posted my solution to contacting people. Its a little more on the friendly side and less intemidating.

Those who ignored your request, did you point out their violation? If so, perhaps Ruu might help out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

$hifty, quote in sig. Not notified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

fish fingers

Bleedin' huge pic.

Erm, not notified? Am I supposed to if I post here.

I don't want to get into pming people I have no dealings with.

DesF wrote:
    fish fingers

Bleedin' huge pic.

Notified

biko wrote:
    Kanney
    High, centered, notified
    Still no change

joe robot wrote:
    mayordenis - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=26702

40kb sig image

Notified.

;)

Complied....although I got a not very nice PM from him. :mad:

DesF wrote:
    fish fingers

Bleedin' huge pic.

That thing is massive. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

How about sorting out your own nerdy sig?;)

• Advertisement

How about sorting out your own nerdy sig?;)

What's wrong with it?

288 x 125 and 18KB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement