Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIGPO - Notify

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

In a perfect world yes but the site is so big it's not possible to enforce unless it's done by a script. There used to be a script afair. Dunno why they stopped using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The main problem here is that it has been said that the odd k or so over the 20k limit isn't that big a deal. Yet rb's was 1k over and was deleted. Of course he has a right to feel aggrieved if the powers that be have stated that .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's pretty obvious that rb was singled out to be fair even if it won't be admitted.

Gordon pretty much did and gave a good reason for it.
    Sherifu wrote: »
    Rules are rules, if you get away with it grand. Just don't cry about getting caught.

I did no such thing! :( :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sully wrote: »
    Shelli - sig2big. Message sent.

Fixed by user. :)

Sully wrote: »
    Fixed by user. :)
    There's a first :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The main problem here is that it has been said that the odd k or so over the 20k limit isn't that big a deal. Yet rb's was 1k over and was deleted. Of course he has a right to feel aggrieved if the powers that be have stated that .

If rb had said in a polite and claim manor that actually the signature was made by 6th and he wasn't taking the piss and that he would appreciate if a little latitude could be show, I'm sure gordon would have let him use the image in question. However instead of that he went on a fuk you rant about how he should be allowed bend the rules as if the breaks extended to one user automatically extend to ever user. Bull like that is the reason we have rules which are set in stone which moderators won't bend, even when appropriate to do so, for fear of the next guy to come along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

+1

It's always been said that if someone doesn't act the muppet, then the rules will not be rigidly applied, or words to that effect. This applies on a sitewide basis, not just in relation to sigs.

I find the very sight of Britney boy annoying, so adblocked both the sig and avatar ages ago.

The attitude expressed by the poster in question from day one was IMO ridiculous, and over zealous in the extreme.

Calling people who dedicate their time to maintaining the soapbox rb stands on bastards, and telling them to go fuck themselves is something I take personal offence to.

Even if you don't mean it, and are trolling (despite your ongoing claim that you don't troll anymore-which is frankly rubbish), I think you should be the bigger man and withdraw your comments rb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Certainly am not withdrawing any comments.

One look at my profile (which he would have had to do) shows I've a current infraction for sig violation and a warning from Hulla that if I go OTT with the sigs again I'll be sitebanned, therefore decreasing the chances that I was "acting up" even further. Add to that the fact that I pointed out in the signature that it was created by 6th and I think one (of a rational mind) can come to the conclusion that I didn't put it there to "take the píss" by being 1kb over.

I'm maintaining my point of view that it was petty trolling on his behalf. I very much doubt it would have even happened had the text of the image not had "Leave Rb_ies sigs alone" written on it.

Roundy: Please do point out an example of me trolling outside the Thunderdome, I'd love to see it. Anyway, this probably isn't the best place to discuss others behaviour, you can pm me if you like and we can discuss my "trolling" and your change in behaviour over the last year or so.

Xavi: It'll never be admitted, couldn't have an smod admitting to such a thing in public now could we?

rb_ie wrote: »
    Certainly am not withdrawing any comments.

One look at my profile (which he would have had to do) shows I've a current infraction for sig violation and a warning from Hulla that if I go OTT with the sigs again I'll be sitebanned, therefore decreasing the chances that I was "acting up" even further. Add to that the fact that I pointed out in the signature that it was created by 6th and I think one (of a rational mind) can come to the conclusion that I didn't put it there to "take the píss" by being 1kb over.

I'm maintaining my point of view that it was petty trolling on his behalf. I very much doubt it would have even happened had the text of the image not had "Leave Rb_ies sigs alone" written on it.

Thats not my point. My point is that because you have a history of sig violations Gordon was being a stickler and was going by the guidelines exactly. You might see it as trollish, and its a fair point but I think Gordon was just enforcing the rules 100% because of your history with violations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

:)

Obviously there are some persistant sig violaters in this thread that feel aggrieved by the rules. If anyone wants consistancy then don't go crying about userX not having his sig removed if you haven't reported the sig.

This is the SIGPO notify thread btw, rb_ie and Xavi6 - if you want to discuss the sigrules - take it to the thread on Feedback that deals with this. Stop littering this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm no fan of rb_ie but I find this completely ridiculous. Who cares if he has a history of signature violations, 1kb over the limit is insignificant enough to grant anyone the benefit of the doubt. It looked within the limit, and almost was - someone would have go go right clicking to determine it's ever-so-slightly out of bounds size, it's not exactly as if it was a glaring eyesore.

Poor show to be honest in a thin guise of being about 'rules'..there always had been leeway and it's generally been somewhat more generous then under 1kb.

They'll never admit to picking on you rb_ie, just accept it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gordon wrote: »
    This is the SIGPO notify thread btw, rb_ie and Xavi6 - if you want to discuss the sigrules - take it to the thread on Feedback that deals with this. Stop littering this thread.

Nice of you to name the two people who disagree with you and not Sully, Roundymooney and Boston who backed you up.

Look it was a petty thing to do and we all know it. That's the last I'll say.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nice of you to name the two people who disagree with you and not Sully, Roundymooney and Boston who backed you up.
    This is for enforcing the sigrules, not arguing against them.
    rb_ie has constantly flaunted the rules, and even on this thread, I've explained my position already on this thread concerning his past flaunts. If you are going to break the sig rules don't wave it about in everyone's faces on this thread, if he didn't do that then I probably wouldn't have noticed. kthxbye

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Roundy: Please do point out an example of me trolling outside the Thunderdome, I'd love to see it. Anyway, this probably isn't the best place to discuss others behaviour, you can pm me if you like and we can discuss my "trolling" and your change in behaviour over the last year or so.
    Gordon wrote: »
    :)This is the SIGPO notify thread btw, rb_ie and Xavi6 - if you want to discuss the sigrules - take it to the thread on Feedback that deals with this. Stop littering this thread.

Well in fairness to rb, he has looked to take the discussion off thread, so you've only asked him to do what he already said he wanted to do.

To be fair, myself and the other lads backed up Gordon because we can see why he did it and understand why. He has no reason to quote our posts, but he had reason to quote yours and the other lad because he was trying to explain to those who dont understand. We understand him, so he wouldn't bother quoting us!

Its not because someone is picking on rb_ie. He has continuously ignored the signature rules so it was decided that if he continues, no matter how minor, the signature will be removed. If it was any normal user who doesnt keep violating the rules he would have been waved on and nothing said. Its continuous offenders who couldn't give a ****e who wont be given any leeway.

Regardless, we have all gone off-topic so lets swing it back onto SIGPO reports. Complaints can go to the root Feedback or Help Desk. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'm maintaining my point of view that it was petty trolling on his behalf.

TBH, from an my point of view it looked like you were trolling adding a sig 1kb over. Maybe 6th was winding you up. Maybe you and 6th were winding us all up...
    I can think of a thread in AH about baby nappy changing straight away.

Apologies for the off-topicness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

rb_ie and 6th join forces? Scarey ... oh wait ... I'm 6th!

Anyway I made the sig and when I uploaded it it was 1kb over (but under the 300x125 dimensions). I chose not to fix it as it was only 1kb, maybe I was lazy or maybe I just thought "whats 1kb?".

Anyway apologies to rb, neither he nore myself set out to piss anyone off but I do think this wouldnt have gotten have the press it did if it hadnt been rb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=151059
    Sig 2 big.

Cheers for the support lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

im intererested in these subjects of image sizes rules as i read it on the first page
    For images in signatures: 1 image up to 300 pixels wide, 125 pixels tall and 20k in size. No animated images are allowed.
    which i understand.So is it when you click on the properties of the members image sig will show how big im i right?
    Do the subscribed members get more than 20k ?
    20k is 2000 bytes?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

davey180 wrote: »
    im intererested in these subjects of image sizes rules as i read it on the first page
    For images in signatures: 1 image up to 300 pixels wide, 125 pixels tall and 20k in size. No animated images are allowed.
    which i understand.So is it when you click on the properties of the members image sig will show how big im i right?
    Do the subscribed members get more than 20k ?
    20k is 2000 bytes?

20 kilobytes is 20*1024=20480 bytes or 20,000 bytes depending on who you talk to.

Oh and while I'm on the taddletale thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=38032
    Animated sig. Not notified.

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    20 kilobytes is 20*1024=20480 bytes or 20,000 bytes depending on who you talk to.

Oh and while I'm on the taddletale thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=38032
    Animated sig. Not notified.
    so http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=38032 has 27831 bytes is = 27.1787109375 kilobytes which means thats too big?

so http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=38032 has 27831 bytes is = 27.1787109375 kilobytes which means thats too big?

Yep. Their new non-animated sig is still outside the rules.

Yep. Their new non-animated sig is still outside the rules.
    so what happens next?

so what happens next?

Well I'm not really bothered about a couple of kb over the limit really. Twas only the animated sig that bothered me and that's been fixed.

Well I'm not really bothered about a couple of kb over the limit really. Twas only the animated sig that bothered me and that's been fixed.
    charming change of http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=38032 yeah pic passed not the image.Ye messing me around lads?

I have to ask; are you high on drugs or something, davey?

so what happens next?
    charming change of http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=38032 yeah pic passed not the image.Ye messing me around lads?
    What are ya on about. It's 15k. If you want it thrown out because it's offensive I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I have to ask who the hell you think you are to be abusing people like that MobileInfantry.

I have to ask; are you high on drugs or something, davey?
    no why are being nasty to me for?

• Advertisement

no why are being nasty to me for?

Being nasty? You asked if we were 'messing you around'? Your post is incoherent and hard to read. Do you think there's a signature conspiracy afoot, or something?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement