Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going portable-couple of laptop questions.

• 05-05-2005 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

This is mostly concerning networking on a laptop, while portable. At home, its not something I worry about, as I have my laptop plugged into my broadband connection.

On the move, however, I find that Linux gets "grumpy" if I don't have a network connection. It frequently hangs on launching network-related services (NTP and Shorewall) if I don't have a network connection to the laptop. What I want to do is make a startup script along these lines "if there's no network connections, stop these services", but I'm unsure about how to go about it, as I'm weak on shell-scripting.

Next, I want to use dialup while out and about with my laptop. Has anyone here experience with using dialup scripts?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Fenster wrote:
    Next, I want to use dialup while out and about with my laptop. Has anyone here experience with using dialup scripts?
    Yes, but unless you're using ISDN like me, you might not need a script. Try KPPP if you use KDE, and wvdial works well too (no GUI, but I'm sure there's probably frontends about).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'm a Fluxbox user, and I'd rather not use KDE apps, as they tend to launch a lot of other crap behind the scenes and be sluggish besides. I'll search around for those other programs, though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

wvdial (freshmeat).
    I'm not a KDE user anymore, but when I was I used KPPP to connect with my 56k modem. It's good but only if you use KDE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

wvdial or minicom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I used wvdial for a few years, the config is easy to setup too. I third this application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Fenster wrote:
    What I want to do is make a startup script along these lines "if there's no network connections, stop these services", but I'm unsure about how to go about it, as I'm weak on shell-scripting.

Not my forte either, that bash stuff, but you might like to have a look at ifplugd - it should do some of what you're looking for anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

I've got scripts for most providers - ISDN and analogue -
    if you need a hand.

If you only use one provider, wvdialconf will probably
    give you as good results as anything.

What I usually do with a laptop is set up different runlevels:
    I use 4 as no home network (so no NIS or NFS get started,
    and I can actually use the laptop elsewhere).

You could copy your normal startup files to /etc/rc4.d,
    change the services you want to run in the absence of a network
    connection, and just call telinit 4.

You can of course use that as your action when your other script
    finds that there's no network connection. It should make that simpler.

If it's only a check at startup, you could assume for now that you'll
    be there, and use the different runlevel to allow you add a menu item
    to Grub or Lilo for "No Network".

NiallB

Advertisement