Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ok lets talk about...... repeat exams

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

This may seem like a dumb question, but...

If you repeat externally, are you still allowed use the UCD library? (My initial thought would be NO as you require a student card which you wouldn't get, but I wanna be sure...)

You would be able to use the computing services tho, contradictorially enuff, as the profile and password you get in 1st yr never changes. Huzzah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭chebe

Okay, so when external you get a new student card (but instead of the green strip that says undergraduate there's a bright pink strip that says repeat, just to embarass you!) so that you can use the library, your computer account is kept active. But you can't attend the lectures or anything because you haven't paid the tutition for them. But with no motivation you lose track. Everyone thinks it's a great option, working at your own pace, able to work or do other things, as well as cheaper. But it's actual a kind of limbo. Talk to the college, they are quite helpful when it's got nothing to do with admiristration.

If ya don't mind all these pesky questions...

Who would I talk to at the college? Are they helpful really?

Oh, and also, you could go to lectures, surely. It's not like they check cards on the doors :rolleyes: . Why not just go anyway. Tutorials and essays seem to be all I'm really missin...

But you did it, was it really worse than repeating internally (with all the horrendous financial cost that that entails)?

Firstly Science and Arts are two completely different kettle of fish. Nearly half my grade at the end of the year comes from practical work, so you miss alot by being external. Maths (huge failure rate) actually encouraged me to sit in on lectures (though I don't think I was supposed to tell anyone, oops), whereas my other classes where alot smaller, 20-odd and 60-odd respectively, so I would have been noticed. And in some Science lectures they do check cards! Personally I didn't fail for any other reason than I didn't put the work in when I should have, so I really needed to a do-over. And the new semesterisation is so fantastically wonderful, I've pretty much passed the year already! And if you do repeat externally you have to sit the old-regulation exam papers (you might have seen these mentioned on the timetable). Which means if the course changes you will be still doing the old one, and possibly at a disadvantage when you get into the next year.

Now that I think about it most of this information came from other students that were older than me, great support network. But other than that the student advisors (http://www.ucd.ie/advisers/) can tell you nearly everything you need to know. The dean of your faculty/year might be of some help as well. As is the fees page on the ucd website, and the form they mail out to you if you fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

SebtheBum wrote:
    If ya don't mind all these pesky questions...

Who would I talk to at the college? Are they helpful really?

Oh, and also, you could go to lectures, surely. It's not like they check cards on the doors :rolleyes: . Why not just go anyway. Tutorials and essays seem to be all I'm really missin...

But you did it, was it really worse than repeating internally (with all the horrendous financial cost that that entails)?
    Hey Seb if you're really worried about it go see the student advisor - if the Arts one is too busy come and see ours - seriously I reckon she'd just love the chance to see anyone - she actually chases people down to try and talk to them and see if they need anything! They'll give you the best advice on how to go about repeating the year and all that if you ever have to. I'd say repeat externally, we've always had a few repeating externally in eng, and they just turn up at all the lectures like everyone else. The lecturers don't care - why would they sure, they want as many ppl as possible to pass their course and its nothing to them whether a person has paid a grand or 5 grand to repeat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

SebtheBum wrote:

In arts there'd be no problem in going to your lectures when repeating externally. However, as mentioned above it's very easy to get into a rut of simply not caring about it at all because you don't have the day to day contact that comes with having to do essays and tutorial work. People dramatically underestimate how important your essays and tutorials are.

I repeated externtally and just got really apathetic and ended up doing nothing. Not saying we're all the same, and you could be an incredibly motivated person, but when you're repeating externally it's very easy to just stay home or find something better to do (record shopping was mine). I didn't have the luxury of being able to use the library when i was repeating, so at least you'll actyally be able to get the books.

So what i'd suggest if you're going to repeat externally (as i said the other day, don't assume you'll fail) my suggestion would be to set yourself homework, by either writing the essays or writing synopsis' of whatever readings you're supposed to be doing.

Cheers for the info chebe.
    And thanks blondie83 and Ed for the advice - Tis much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

It's probably been mentioned and I'm just being blind or something but how much is it to repeat internally vs repeating externally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Slash/ED wrote:
    It's probably been mentioned and I'm just being blind or something but how much is it to repeat internally vs repeating externally?

Erm... as far as i can remember it's something like a couple hundred more than registration to repeat externally & about a grand on top of that to repeat internally. www.ucd.ie/fees should be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Thanks, I didn't even know you could do that, could prove very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

chebe wrote:
    Externally means you are banished from the college (ie to do something like work) and you basically pay to be allowed resit the exams the following summer. Internally is doing the entire year over, including tutorials and practicals. Internally when I did it was only 1,200 for 3 subjects including registration, but I know it has gone up. It's also a horrible idea, you are disconnected from everything and unless you are really dedicated you develop the 'what's the point' attitude. Internally is around 3-4 grand including registration.

Dear lordy that is quite a saga...well I hope it worked out alright in the end...and fair play to u for sticking at it, shows a lot of determination and drive... :)

and the shiney star goes to chebe

:)

Alana wrote:
    and the shiney star goes to chebe

:)

:D Thanks! I like stars I do! Though when you go work 9-5 it isn't really a tough decision!

Advertisement