Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB - getting worse

• 05-05-2005 7:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

:( will things ever get better?, got to the stage where web pages won't even load, it's that bad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

:( will things ever get better?, got to the stage where web pages won't even load, it's that bad.
    Who is your ISP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Does it matter?...it's all down to Eircom. But i'm with BT on a 2meg line. BT won't offer technical support either.

They won't help you at ALL if you don't have the modem they supply with their offer. And i know many of you have dumped those crappy Zyxel modems for real ones and wireless. Yet they won't even entertain your call our speak to the REAL problem which is Eircom and the crappy infrastructure and how they try squeeze every penny they can from us.

Is this the same crappy modem they charge €90 installation for? even though you install it yourself!!

Zyxel 623R i belive is what they shipped. €90 is not just for the modem but setting up the line etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

What does the router say about connection speed?

• Advertisement

Upstream is 2048 and down is 128. SN Ratio and everything else is perfect. My physical line is only 15 months old.

Why don't you pretend that you have whatever modem or router that they support? It's not as if they know what you're using.

Incidently, have you tried another router/modem? And switch off any software firewalls etc.

Because they ask you for configuartion settings related to the Zyxel modem, it's kinda hard to lie when they have you by the balls.

Zyxel 623R i belive is what they shipped. €90 is not just for the modem but setting up the line etc.
    & exactly why does it cost THEM more to set up a line compared to Smart, for example??????? ( Hint its called rip off)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

even if youdon't use their modem you still have it don't you?

plug it in and use it for the sake of their dancing around pretending they know what they are doing, then when you still get bugger all out of it they'll have to do something about it.

if you've sold (who'd buy it though) then ring them up and say 'their' modem is completely dead and can they send you a replacement, and you'll post them back the broken one. once you have the new one, test it with them (unlikely they'll look at past call logs unless they have to) and then see where you're at.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What modem are you using and have you confirmed that it is fully functional etc. etc.

Did the old modem that you got from BT work on the line?

blaming bt/eircom or whoever is not going to get things working for you so post some definite information here and I am sure people will be only too wiling to try and help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Hang on a sec.. post some ping results please!! It could be simply a case you are infected with crapware.
    If you router says you have a 2mb connection then its likely something else is the cause and not the line, eircom etc at all!!! Unless you have aother pc sharing with the router and it has the same problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Exactly, it could just be spyware and the like, however judging by your understanding of the technical terms you'd want to be fairly stupid/naìve in order to get Spyware!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I Don't know if it would be of any use but I have a zyxel p 630 usb modem that you could try . No idea how much of a difference there would be between it and the 623 . You know where i am if you want a loan of it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 aoifejane

Upstream is 2048 and down is 128. SN Ratio and everything else is perfect. My physical line is only 15 months old.

Well why are you blaming eircom then? Seems like the problem is at your end. :confused:

How is the problem on my end exactly?...my line is only 15 months old and the fact i'm connected to the exchange at full speed suggests my line and connection is in great shape.

The problem is with Eircom and there botched and patched job they call "broadband".

dub45 wrote:
    What modem are you using and have you confirmed that it is fully functional etc. etc.

blaming bt/eircom or whoever is not going to get things working for you so post some definite information here and I am sure people will be only too wiling to try and help you.

Using the Eircom 3441 with latest firmware.

dub45 wrote:

Using the Eircom 3441 with latest firmware.

ADSL Line State: Up
    ADSL Startup Attempts: 1
    ADSL Modulation: DMT
    ADSL Wire: INNER
    Datapump Version: 3.47
    Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 24.95 28.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 31.67 19.00 dB
    Output Power: 19.51 11.97 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 0 0
    Data Rate: 2048 128

Saruman wrote:
    Hang on a sec.. post some ping results please!! It could be simply a case you are infected with crapware.
    If you router says you have a 2mb connection then its likely something else is the cause and not the line, eircom etc at all!!! Unless you have aother pc sharing with the router and it has the same problem?

No spyware or virus, i check for that daily and have all the latest virus and definition updates. Connect to only one PC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Von Manstein

Does it matter?...it's all down to Eircom. But i'm with BT on a 2meg line. BT won't offer technical support either.

They won't help you at ALL if you don't have the modem they supply with their offer. And i know many of you have dumped those crappy Zyxel modems for real ones and wireless. Yet they won't even entertain your call our speak to the REAL problem which is Eircom and the crappy infrastructure and how they try squeeze every penny they can from us.

I just am about to get my bb 2mb disconnected from IOL. Not that there service is bad or anything just dont need a 2mb line anymore. Anyway I'll still have the BB modem they gave me so if you are looking for a iol BB modem + software could sell you mine if you want

I remember a friend of mine had problems when they where upgrading the lines there last month. His connection went crazy aith crappy speeds. He was supposed to be upgraded to the 2mb servce but that happened instead. Anyway it turned out that his neighbour had just got a 3mb and the ppl down at the local exchange had just sliced his 2mb line and gave half of it to his neighbour. Perhaps thats the problem your having?

Nah, sometimes i can connect to Symantec serves and pull down 220K, i can go to Microsoft and get the same. Next minute i get 25K or even worse like below 10K

The problem is the same as many people, bad download speeds...patchy, inconsistent, abysmal, worse service now then before the upgrades....the fact Eircom now say between 25-200K is "normal". They bumped the speed down from 100-25K to cover there arses.

This is the problem, you're paying for a 2MB service, not one that gives you 25K. You should be able to go to any website anytime of day and get full whack down, it's what i paid for...if i don't get that it's Eircom and a crappy service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Nah, sometimes i can connect to Symantec serves and pull down 220K, i can go to Microsoft and get the same. Next minute i get 25K or even worse like below 10K

The problem is the same as many people, bad download speeds...patchy, inconsistent, abysmal, worse service now then before the upgrades....the fact Eircom now say between 25-200K is "normal". They bumped the speed down from 100-25K to cover there arses.

To judge from boards postings the speed problem seems to have settled down with the exception of Esat BT users who seem to have been worst hit by it. Have you been onto Esat BT about the basic problem (never mind your modem issue). There are now plenty of people getting a very satisfactory speed irrespective of isp so lashing Eircom everytime you post is not the most constructive way of solving your problem.
    This is the problem, you're paying for a 2MB service, not one that gives you 25K. You should be able to go to any website anytime of day and get full whack down, it's what i paid for...if i don't get that it's Eircom and a crappy service.

You are not paying for a product that gives you a guaranteed speed - none of us are. You are paying for a product thats contended - two completely different things - if you dont get full speed it can be due to many factors.
    But as many people have acknowledged on here Eircom's bb (as provided by themselves anyways) is usually fast and steady.

Start with Esat. Maybe try another modem on your line you have had plenty of offers of loans and devote some of the energy you are giving to Eircom bashing to solving your problem.

Advertisement