Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaking French in Paris

Options
  • 05-05-2005 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭

What's the ratio of French speaking to English speaking in Paris? I've visited parts of France before that were almost exclusively French speaking (the locals didn't even know basic English phrases), but obviously Paris is meant to be totally different.

If you know a little French, is it polite to try and speak French or is it better to speak English than to subject them to my broken French?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

considering the knowledge of the French language you showed in a previous post to 'Bantervile' regarding French chat up lines i think your probably better off not subjecting them to your broken French. Who knows what you would end up saying..
    :D

on a serious point point you will find in all tourist places in paris...and most other places provided its not too far off beaten track people speak reasonable english. I have found in many places if you attempt speaking french they will simply answer in english. Most of them seem to welcome the chance to practice their english

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I don't know about ratios but you could try the old "Bonjour Monsieur/Madame, vous parlez anglais?". If you're intereacting with people working in touristy trades, shops and restaurants, they probably will have some English but at least you won't look like one of those annoying tourists who automatically presume everyone understands it.

Advertisement