Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford - NTL BroadBand flyer circulated:

• 05-05-2005 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

Just letting anyone who's interested know that a friend of mine living in the Lisduggan area of Waterford city had a flyer from NTL dropped into his letterbox earlier today [ Thursday 5th May ].

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Recieved one too....Hillview Area...

Rollout on 1st June from what i hear..

€25 not bad for a 1mb connection...

For me, am sticking with my 2MB :D (Although there are days i wish i lived in dungarvan...9mb connection...WOW)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Any chance of a scan of this flyer? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

haven't a scan of the flyer but here's a screenshot of a speedtest I was sent from a friend in Tycor area that recently got the 750k service installed

think he was trying to p*$$ me off with his speed, didn't work tho :p

test done on http://www.irishisptest.com

718/125 down/up looks pretty impressive from a 750/128

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

A few weeks ago in Waterford Institute Of Technology I downloaded Sun's JDK 1.5 (roughly 56 MB) in 14 seconds, and some months prior to that I downloaded service pack 4 for Windows 2000 (roughly 130 MB) in 2 minutes 12 seconds.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

The_Thing wrote:
    (roughly 56 MB) in 14 seconds,
    (roughly 130 MB) in 2 minutes 12 seconds.
    56MB/14s = 4MB/s
    130MB/132s = 0.98MB/s

causal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Cabaal wrote:
    Any chance of a scan of this flyer? :)

I second that!

Anyone out in the Dunmore Road area receive one of these flyers yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

reni10 wrote:
    I second that!

Anyone out in the Dunmore Road area receive one of these flyers yet?
    Not here yet (Viewmount). They seem to be moving outwards from NTL's main base. But I'd expect Eircom to start pushing DSL on the Dunmore Road area soon.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jmcc wrote:
    Not here yet (Viewmount). They seem to be moving outwards from NTL's main base. But I'd expect Eircom to start pushing DSL on the Dunmore Road area soon.

Read Waterford Today yesterday, it said Eircom roll out on Dunmore road in June, lets see if they do it sooner ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

From emailing them over the past few weeks I have established that the top of the town will be upgraded first (Tycor, Gracedieu and the like), however ALL OF WATERFORD WILL BE ABLE TO GET CABLE BB BY THE END OF THE SUMMER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Cabaal wrote:
    Read Waterford Today yesterday, it said Eircom roll out on Dunmore road in June, lets see if they do it sooner ;)

Just about to come to the end of my trial here in Viewmount for Eircom Broadband, gonna cancel it and go with NTL

Still have my 4 megger wireless BB so not to pushed if i have to wait for a bit for NTL

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

The_Thing wrote:
    A few weeks ago in Waterford Institute Of Technology I downloaded Sun's JDK 1.5 (roughly 56 MB) in 14 seconds, and some months prior to that I downloaded service pack 4 for Windows 2000 (roughly 130 MB) in 2 minutes 12 seconds.:D

Yes - but can you imagine the bandwidth that WIT have.............T3 comes to mind............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Yes - but can you imagine the bandwidth that WIT have.............T3 comes to mind............

Would be amazed if anyone in Ireland had a T3, given it's an american standard :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Got one here in Cherymount area. "coming to your area shortly..."

Mike.

crawler wrote:
    Would be amazed if anyone in Ireland had a T3, given it's an american standard :)

Go to http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/ and check the linear scale - T3 comes in at 45 Mbps approx........ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fionn_McCool

I'd say there may well be a good few places with T3 connection.

Here is a screeny of my speed with CIT, this is not even a true reading of their bandwith as i am living in off campus accomodation but get this connection for free.

speed.jpg

Now, come on, I'm sure if some1 like CIT has that sort of connnection there must be alot of places with T3 in Ireland

Not too bad of a connnection when your getting it for free eyy

Of course their's plenty of T3's in America, but in Europe we call them E3's
    ;)

Cabaal wrote:
    Of course their's plenty of T3's in America, but in Europe we call them E3's
    ;)

:D same difference........ :D

Not really, ttbomk the ITU and ANSI SS7 message types are different lengths - that accounts for the different speeds.

causal

causal wrote:
    Not really, ttbomk the ITU and ANSI SS7 message types are different lengths - that accounts for the different speeds.

causal

I'll have to take you at your word..... :confused: This make any sense?

http://studynotes.net/net2-2.htm

T3/E3

A T3 line is a super high-speed connection capable of transmitting data at a rate of 45 Mbps. A T3 line represents a bandwidth equal to about 672 regular voice-grade telephone lines, which is wide enough to transmit real time video, and very large databases over a busy network. A T3 line is typically installed as a major networking artery for large corporations, universities with high-volume network traffic and for the backbones of the major Internet service providers.

Have a peek at this Cisco doc
    The maximum E3 bandwidth is 34.386 Mbps; the maximum T3 bandwidth is 44.736 Mbps.

Also, if you have a look at the screen capture in Fionns post above, of the irish isp test it lists the E3 and T3 limits.

causal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rodo

causal wrote:
    Have a peek at this Cisco doc

Also, if you have a look at the screen capture in Fionns post above, of the irish isp test it lists the E3 and T3 limits.

causal

I reckon lads, if we ever experience either of those connections on a residental premises we DEFINITLEY won't be moaning about the speeds, but such is life as humans evolve, we get greedier so we'll want what our neighbours have but we can't afford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

anyone receive a flyer in viewmont yet, i know the guy in cherrymount got one but im talking about viewmount estate

SHin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

The_Thing wrote:
    thats actually pretty slow for one of our 3rd level institutes(most likely bottleneck other than WIT's net connection tho), tho the IT's have their own network seperate to heanet n share a 270mbit connection iirc correctly.

for comparason :
    UL : 100Mbit
    UCC : 100Mbit
    DCU : 110Mbit
    TCD : 180Mbit
    UCD : 190Mbit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

As requested some time ago attached is a scan of the NTL flyer my friend received in Lisduggan, Waterford.
    Sorry about the quality but to keep the file size within reasonable limits I scanned at a low res, and converted to greyscale.

However lets not forget that a lot of new housing developers are refusing to pay NTL to lay cable in their houses. So therefore moving into a nice brandspanking new house wont guarentee you that you can get NTL broadband.

such developments that I know doesnt have NTL cable is the Infirmery Apartments, The Poleberry Apartments and the Student Accomodation on the Ring Rd.

.Adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

mike65 wrote:
    Got one here in Cherymount area. "coming to your area shortly..."

Mike.

No sign of mine in Cherrymount yet

However lets not forget that a lot of new housing developers are refusing to pay NTL to lay cable in their houses. So therefore moving into a nice brandspanking new house wont guarentee you that you can get NTL broadband.

such developments that I know doesnt have NTL cable is the Infirmery Apartments, The Poleberry Apartments and the Student Accomodation on the Ring Rd.

.Adam

I know of people in EACH of the student Apartments in Poleberry that have (or can avail of) NTL broadband......

Ah, they must've sorted something out at the very last minute then. I know that for a while the developer wouldnt pay NTL, maybe they also sorted something out in the Ring Road.

However, I know that the Infermery doesnt have cable. Also because of the preservation order on the building, satelite dishes aren't allowed to be placed either except on the new red apartments which are behind the main building...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Anyone seen the latest edition of Waterford Today, there's an ad/article on NTL broadband on page 4. Essentially just reiterating what the site and the flyer is saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Roen wrote:
    Anyone seen the latest edition of Waterford Today, there's an ad/article on NTL broadband on page 4. Essentially just reiterating what the site and the flyer is saying.

see here re ad
    open meeting in ntl offices 26th @ 6:30pm
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2805048#post2805048

Advertisement