Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford - NTL BroadBand flyer circulated:

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Peeps1977

got a flyer in congress place n i rang them once to find out prices n stuff but now they keep ringin me to sign up(ntl) trouble is ive just passed my eircom deadline on the free trial and im stuck now for 12 mths. nuts!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Peeps1977 wrote:
    got a flyer in congress place n i rang them once to find out prices n stuff but now they keep ringin me to sign up(ntl) trouble is ive just passed my eircom deadline on the free trial and im stuck now for 12 mths. nuts!!! :mad:

That gotta hurt....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I know of people in EACH of the student Apartments in Poleberry that have (or can avail of) NTL broadband......

I believe he ment the much newer Apartments in Poleberry near Tesco's as opposed to the Apartments in Poleberry down beside the football pitches entrance

The Apartments in Poleberry down near the football pitches have NTL in every aprt and a DSL connection shared over the internal network thats available to almost every room (cept the one's the connections are broken)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

Cabaal wrote:
    I believe he ment the much newer Apartments in Poleberry near Tesco's as opposed to the Apartments in Poleberry down beside the football pitches entrance

Nope - they have it - that's what I was talking about :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nope - they have it - that's what I was talking about :D

ah cool so atleast private developers have the sense to install NTL into places they build, its a shame the council is so thick and can't be arsed equiping new places with NTL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 idj

Did anyone go the the ntl broadband open evening?

I was working so I missed it. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

From emailing them over the past few weeks I have established that the top of the town will be upgraded first (Tycor, Gracedieu and the like), however ALL OF WATERFORD WILL BE ABLE TO GET CABLE BB BY THE END OF THE SUMMER.

When you say all of waterford you only mean city right ?

I live in butlerstown and which is about 5.5miles away from the city centre, no sign of bb of any sorts coming this way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Celt1

I was at the open evening.....big crowd in attendance....well, if you call seven big :) ..out of a total of 15,000 households (their figures). However they do appear to be committed to enabling all their customers in the city within the next 2/3 months and speaking to one of the NTL guys that I knew, he said that they are under pressure from head office to have the project completed in the shortest possible time frame. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

BadCharlie wrote:

I live in butlerstown and which is about 5.5miles away from the city centre, no sign of bb of any sorts coming this way :(
    It seems to be an all-out play for the users on the NTL cable network in Waterford. The basic idea being if the customer is on cable, they can get cable broadband.

Crossposted from the Waterford City forum:

It was an introduction to NTL and significantly, there was a lot of emphasis on Waterford and Galway. These two cities will be totally covered by NTL cable broadband whereas the Dublin net is old in places. The NTL people at the event were quite clueful.

The coverage targets are:
    May - Tycor, Rathfadden
    June - Kilcohan, Ardkeen, Knockboy
    July - Lower Grange, Upper Grange
    August - City, Ferrybank

Essentially 3 Products:
    Down - Up - Cap - Cost
    1Mb - 100Kb - 16G - 25 Euros
    2Mb - 200Kb - 30G - 35 Euros
    3Mb - 300Kb - 40G - 45 Euros

Contention ratio: 17:1

NTL expects to have complete coverage of Waterford by August but reality may adjust that. So far they seem to be moving ahead of targets.

Next installation cycle date is Wednesday (01 June). An extra point for the cable modem connection can be installed if the computer is in a separate room.

Contract is 12 months payable via direct debit. Each user gets 15 e-mail addresses and 55 MB of webspace and access to approximately 30K usenet groups. There is a 40GB montly cap on the top product but apparently nobody currently using the service has breached that cap. A business offering is being considered but this is the pitch as the residental market first.

There will be other open meetings, and these will be in easily accessible areas. NTL is also liasing with some of the residents associations around the city. If NTL manages to implement these plans in Waterford and Galway, Eircom/Esat and the Wireless BB providers are going to take a major hit.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

jmcc wrote:
    There is a 40GB montly cap on the top product but apparently nobody currently using the service has breached that cap.
    LMFAO :D Presumably there are several qualifiers with that statement.
    A business offering is being considered but this is the pitch as the residental market first.
    Very interesting!

causal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

BadCharlie wrote:

If you have NTL cable, then you will be able to get their broadband offerings.

If you can't there are a few other options, IrishBroadband went live in Waterford recently, currently their only highsite is on top of the Ard rì however they say they will put up more depending on demand.

Also, afaik, the irishwan (http://irishwan.org) goes out to Tramore, maybe you'd be within reach of that

That's the most terrifying aspect of this for Eircom/Esat/Irishbroadband/Irishwan etc. NTL's coverage in the city area is 100% and most of those on Irishwan in the confines of the city limit are on it because they cannot get DSL due to the supposed poor quality of Eircom's copper. Irishwan is not really a commercial player, being primarily a hobbyist operation.
    If you can't there are a few other options, IrishBroadband went live in Waterford recently, currently their only highsite is on top of the Ard rì however they say they will put up more depending on demand.
    I think that IBB might have a major fight on its hands if it wants to keep in the broadband game in Waterford city.
    Also, afaik, the irishwan (http://irishwan.org) goes out to Tramore, maybe you'd be within reach of that
    I'd expect to see IBB and the other providers concentrating on Tramore and the areas outside of Waterford city now. Fighting Eircom, a company with patchy market penetration in the Dunmore Road area is one thing, but fighting a company with nearly 100% market penetration in the Dumore Road area and the city is something else entirely.

Regards...jmcc

causal wrote:
    LMFAO :D Presumably there are several qualifiers with that statement.
    :) But it was a pitch aimed at introducing the residential product. Interestingly the continuing upgrade policy and the limitations of DSL bandwidth were mentioned. It is very much an early market situation for broadband in Ireland, (outside of Dungarvan).

The business product offering should be very interesting when it happens. Theoretically cable bb has a higher bandwidth capability than DSL and if the network is well designed, there are some potentially lucrative opportunities in a citywide net.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Thanks Murderer will check them out. Have tryed digiweb allready and im out of range. Some parts of butlerstown is in range but not my area.

Advertisement