Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personality versus Policy

Options
  • 05-05-2005 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭

It seems to me that voting in Ireland is based more on the smiling candidate than the party as a whole.

One could argue that Enda Kenny became leader of Fine Gael as he is a 'Bertie mark two' as opposed to someone like Michael Noonan, who may have lacked charisma but had his own very definite (if occasionally crazy) ideas and policies.

Brian Cowen would probably be the obvious choice for next Fianna Fail party leader, but you still hear murmers that he's too unattractive to represent our country. I remember a work colleague complaining when he was made foreign affairs minister as he was ashamed of the other diplomats meeting him, like he was expecting him to use the wrong fork at some embassy dinner and everyone else would drop their cutlery and gasp at the ignorant biffo. :rolleyes:

In America, Clinton famously came to power and denied Bush sr. a second term not through policy, but through identifying the swing voters and mirroring their likes and dislikes. He mentioned policy far less than Bush sr., and instead made sure he had loads of photo ops of putting up shelves and walking the dogs.

Is politics becoming a popularity contest?

I think its disgraceful. I can't stand Trevor Sargeant, but I still vote Green.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Shabadu wrote:

Well, I'd say it's been like that for an awful lot of time/forever. People go for the "sound", everyday type of guy/gal they can relate to although I don't think Enda Kenny is a great example of this - he has to be one of the most insipid party leaders around.

I don't see any way around this. Parties should acknowledge that leaders have to be charismatic and that good ideas alone won't do and pick people posessed of both these qualities for the job. It's not really a question of appearance though and it's not that unfair in that many of the skills required - charm, debating skill, social interation etc can be learned and improved upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Personality voting makes it easier to vote because of numerous reasons (similarities, appeal so on.) and one must accept that this is part of the political spectrum.

In fairness a way around it is to tone down the voting for the individual. In reality we are voting for a party NOT one person. So focus should be encourage towards not only the individual but the overall party.

I always liked how the presidency in ireland works, the person is there as a personality, our primary represenative in national and world affairs. With that i always feel that the taoiseach should be more about substance then appearance. Have a charasmatic leader etc, but an element of the election should be put over to the team said party want in power and their capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Shabadu wrote:

Nope. Its always been one - at least under the auspices of democracy anyway.

In my experience, the vast, vast majority of voters I know who discuss their voting practices engage in a voting technique which I term "choose which Party candidate you like best", because the Party you're gonna vote for is generally not up for consideration.

Of the few ppl I know who have changed their Party vote, its because their party did (or did not do) something that they simply cannot forgive and so they pick another party which isn't all that different now they have to pick one (but which was completely not worth considering while they had their old allegience).

On a site like boards, you'll see a disproportionate number of posters tell you that they don't vote rigidly along party lines...but then again....if boards was representative, FF's domination of Irish politics would be an impossibility.

The ideal of a well-educated population who choose to be informed and to make an educated, balanced decision every time they cast a vote....well....thats just the dream that is sold as democracy. The reality has never been like that, and likely never will be.

jc

Advertisement