Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I finally got Opeth!

Options
  • 05-05-2005 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭

I was looking every where for blackwater park and i got it today :D
    So far so good.It'll probably take me a while to really get to know it.

The only problem now is to get my mates to like it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's a great album. Personal favourite of the three I have at the moment is Orchid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Blackwater Park is a fine fine album. It's probably the most accessible one. Although it's still rock as ****. Or something. I suggest My Arms, Your Hearse next. That is Opeth at their greatest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Never got into opeth, but I kinda judge rock music on how difficult it is to play.. hence the reason I love Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, etc.. Opeth seem too simplistic for me, but I only listened to 1 album "damnation" and the ONLY song I liked from it was "Death Whispered A Lullaby".. but having said that some of the best songs ever made are easy enough to play "Eg, the beatles songs, or john lennon - imagine"

Repli wrote:
    Never got into opeth, but I kinda judge rock music on how difficult it is to play.. hence the reason I love Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, etc.. Opeth seem too simplistic for me, but I only listened to 1 album "damnation" and the ONLY song I liked from it was "Death Whispered A Lullaby".. but having said that some of the best songs ever made are easy enough to play "Eg, the beatles songs, or john lennon - imagine"

Too simplistic? I wouldn't call Opeth simple at all. Although that album is my least favourite by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Try and play "Bleak" repli.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

blackwater park is a fantastic album. The drapery falls being my favourite track. I find they do take a little while to get into but when you do its worth it. Id recommend still life as the next album to get if you dont already have it, its excellent. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

John2 wrote:
    Blackwater Park is a fine fine album. It's probably the most accessible one. Although it's still rock as ****. Or something. I suggest My Arms, Your Hearse next. That is Opeth at their greatest.

I have been a fan of Opeth for the last 3 years, know and love all their albums. I would recommend listening to Still Life before My Arms You Hearse.
    My Arms is a great album but it is also one of their rawest, heaviest and might take longer to fully appreciate.

I've always had a soft spot for My Arms... as it was my first Opeth album. I wouldn't rate Still Life as highly. Not that it's a bad album, it's just not as genious as My Arms and Blackwater Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Opeth are not simplistic. The fact that Akerfeldt doesn't play a million notes a second makes him a much better musician, in my mind, than Vai or Malmsteen. That's probably going to draw a lot of abuse. They may be absolutely fantastic guitarists, better than Akerfeldt tecnically, but they just don't sound as emotive as his playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Repli wrote:

I'm sorry but are you trying to come across as an idiot?

I just have this image of a 13 year old sitting in his room, with Vai on the radio, pumping away in time with the music :D
    Try and play "Bleak" repli.

Bleak isn't particularly hard to play, give some of those heavy one's on Still Life a go, now they're tough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Ramses wrote:
    I would recommend listening to Still Life before My Arms You Hearse.
    My Arms is a great album but it is also one of their rawest, heaviest and might take longer to fully appreciate.
    Do you mean it will take longer to appreciate in a musically talented kind
    of way or an extremely heavy kind of way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

in a heavy kind of way. Opeth are musically talented throughout every album - I still can't believe their debut Orchid is so good. If I was giving an Opeth album to somebody who had never really listened to death metal before, it would probably be Blackwater Park or Still Life. Personally I would prefer My Arms My Hearse to these two albums but it might be too much to take in for somebody not used to this style of music. But I think I might have answered the post too fast. You already know what to expect from Opeth, so it doesn't really matter what the next album you get is. Just remember their album Damnation loses most of the harsh side of the music, but still stands proud amongst Opeth's other albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Beekay wrote:
    I was looking every where for blackwater park and i got it today :D
    So far so good.It'll probably take me a while to really get to know it.

The only problem now is to get my mates to like it

Fantastic band, my favourite Opeth album changes between the ones i have but I think 'My Arms, Your Hearse' is their most acccomplished

I try to get friends to listen to them, but its usually tends to be a bit heavy for their tastes, even though plenty of their songs are acoustic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Opeth..simplistic? I never thought so. As It Wasn't Me said, they're not playing a million notes a second, but that means nothing, there's more to metal than constant speed. How they glide from ff to pp and back again effortlessly and almost unnoticeably(sp?) is amazing, the same with how the undertone and mood of an entire song is changed in a few notes.

I never saw My Arms Your Hearse as an album that was harder to get into than any of the others, then again it was my second Opeth album so I wasn't too familiar with them at that point.

Advertisement