Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ORB Doors

• 05-05-2005 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does anyone else find the main doors of the O'Rahillly Building really annoying? It takes so much effort openin the two doors, and there's usually someone behind you so you gotta keep it open for them aswell......Wouldn't automatic doors be soo much handier!!??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Yeah and it's a pity the building doesn't have access from somewhere near the student centre. One of the side (emergency) exits could surely be used as a normal entrance, at least during the day.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

The trick is to shoulder barge them, but cushion it with your arm. So, grab handle, don't push. Just take it in so your hand is against your chest and use your body weight to move it. Just come at it at speed and kinda cushion push it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Ninja Turtle

embraer170 wrote:
    Yeah and it's a pity the building doesn't have access from somewhere near the student centre. One of the side (emergency) exits could surely be used as a normal entrance, at least during the day.

The door thats nearest the chapel is usually open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

speaking as an engineer i have no real reason to go in to the ORB but on the odd occassion i do, it scares teh jaysus out of me!!! if i go anywhere off the ground floor i get lost

• Advertisement

heh, the place is a bit of a maze if your not used to it all right. The link corridoor is the key though - once you know where that is, your grand!

have never even heard of it

It's the corridor that links the two rooms with the elevators together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

It's the corridor that links the two rooms with the elevators together.

While the the ORB is better than the Kane Building (formerly known as the Science Building) I don't like it

The panopticon garden starred upon by 1000 windows
    The Gaelgor elevators
    The Gaelgor seomra
    The excessive internal brightness, white floors, whiteish walls
    The overly narrow stairs
    The exclusive keycard protected "go away" BIS "we have too much money" computers

Tazzle wrote:
    The trick is to shoulder barge them, but cushion it with your arm. So, grab handle, don't push. Just take it in so your hand is against your chest and use your body weight to move it. Just come at it at speed and kinda cushion push it.

the wheelchair door to the left (as you exit) it easier to open and is often open permanently, weather permitting

on the subject stiff doors are an archictural trick, they make the user feel smaller than the building, they make him respect the building, buildings affect users, consider the church, even leaving aside its religious significance the high roof is intimidating, superior

there is a good journal article on this I don't have the URL anymore though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 chippo

You want to see a maze, take a trip through the new bioscience thingy building! Gotten lost in there nearly every time i go into the bloody place!

chippo wrote:
    You want to see a maze, take a trip through the new bioscience thingy building! Gotten lost in there nearly every time i go into the bloody place!

I'm afraid to go in there os there is a sign saying that access is only for those who have business in the building, on the walkway from the FSB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

The exclusive keycard protected "go away" BIS "we have too much money" computers

:D

vector wrote:
    I'm afraid to go in there os there is a sign saying that access is only for those who have business in the building, on the walkway from the FSB

im fairly sure that anyone can go into the biosci building, its just the walkway from the FSB to the BioSci that is closed to students "who dont have business there"

Why are there keycards on the door anyway, to stop people from other depts using their precious computers? ok fair enough, but surely the required username and password does that, well maybe it is to stop people wandering "off the street" again, no, it is withing the building, cctv, security desk, damn BIS

(that said if I had a access, I would dance to their tune)

Money generating, charging people for access cards.

10 euro for the access card, which apparently you get back when you finish fourth year. How true that is I dont know but anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey now lads, there's nothing wrong with BIS people!! Ye'er just jealous coz we have our own cool labs with cool swipe cards and stuff!!! :p

Cool labs but crappy computers. ;)

Cool labs but crappy computers.

They could definately use a bit more RAM, running .NET is like pulling teeth :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement