Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clear Laquer For Guitar Finish

• 05-05-2005 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a clear laquer for a guitar refinish. All web sources seem to be pointing me to krylon crystal clear but unfortunatly no one will send aerosols by airmail (makes sense I suppose). Is anyone here able to recommend an alternative clear laquer available in Dublin?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Easiest way could be to go to a car resprayers and ask them to throw a few layers of clear onto the guitar for you. Just make sure all the paints are compatible.

There's a good few differect types of lacquers you can use. I believe a mate uses a 2 part lacquer, designed for doors with very good results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Cheers man, just back from the resprayers, while they couldnt really spray the guitar I managed to get an aerosol of high closs laquer suitable for acrylic and cellulose (sp) based paints, should work great! And they threw in some high grade sandpaper to boot (up to 2000 grit!)! Fantastic!

Nice. Just make sure you take your time with it and do it right. 2000 grit will do you well for the final sand before polish. Are you polishing by hand or with a machine?

What's the brand of the lacquer and which resprayers was it?

Cheers for the advice, ive got my wet sandpaper grits 600,1200,1600 and 2000 so if im careful enough it should make a nice glass like finish once i get it done :) The laquer is 'simoniz clear' and apparently its also good for wood (i wonder if I could put this on my sanded telecaster body now that the grain has been sealed?). The resprayers were JP Auto (i think thats their name) in Dun Laoghaire, lovely bunch of people!

Simoniz? I know that name for some reason.

Are you just refinishing a guitar or have you built one from scratch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

they do car cleaning products...if your ever in a petrol station they are always there with the oils and stuff

AH, that'd be the one so!

feylya wrote:
    Simoniz? I know that name for some reason.

Are you just refinishing a guitar or have you built one from scratch?

Just a refinish, suffered bad laquer damage to my Gibson Les Paul headstock, but the paint and logo are fine so it should be straightfoward enough to repair :)

:eek: That doesn't sound like fun. What sort of damage? Got any pics?

feylya wrote:
    :eek: That doesn't sound like fun. What sort of damage? Got any pics?
    Accidental Fire damage (how rock and roll!), basically it whitened the laquer in places and cause a little ripple effect at the burn point :( The laquer is off and the headstock is fine, no burn to the paint or anything so so far so good! :) No pics im afraid, kinda wish I had taken some now :(

• Advertisement

Fire damage??? How though?

I kinda wish it was a story of star jumps and high powered pyrotecnics but in reality I dont know, I picked it up cheap off e-bay as a restoration proj, the neck body are practically perfect bar one imperfection which has been taken care of, the electronics needed some work which has been done and now the last part is the headstock restoration :D

Sweet.

Advertisement