Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

random password generator

• 05-05-2005 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

ok, so im on holidays, in a foreign country, in a webcafe using remote desktop/vnc to get into my home pc. Im worried that keylogging software etc etc that might be installed on these public pcs. Potentially as soon as i leave the pc someone else could hop on and hack into my home pc.
    Ive seen these keyring rsa token thingies which display random numbers and are then used as part of the authentication for corporate sites and stuff.... Is there something like this available for my home pc? I want to set up a second admin account used just for remote desktop, and have the pwd change after each login/logout. maybe something simple like have it cycle through 10 pre defined pwds one after the other. Or maybe some other kind of random pwd generator, which would be complemented with software running on my pda?

any ideas?

thanks!

aido

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭de8o

could use something like

net user administartor2 "%date%%computername%"

note that this will set the password to the date+computername

note also that there will be a space between the day name e.g Thu and the date.

you could just run this when logging off

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

de8o wrote:
    could use something like

net user administartor2 "%date%%computername%"

note that this will set the password to the date+computername

note also that there will be a space between the day name e.g Thu and the date.

you could just run this when logging off
    Genius !

[php]echo.| time | Find "is">t
    echo.| date | Find "is">d

for /F "tokens=1-9* delims=/:" %%i in (t) do echo %%i %%j %%k %%l
    for /F "tokens=1-9* delims=/:" %%i in (t) do Set Hour=%%j

:' could also use find on a password list file to pick a new password each hour.'
    find "%Hour%" c:\password.lst [/php]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

The only problem with having the date in the passowrd is if someone does log your password on a particular day, they don't exactly have to be a genious to work out the system for generating tomorrow's password. Sharing random passwords is pretty easy to do if you have any programming knowledge. You just need a random number generator on both devices, and you give them the same initial seed values. They will then generate the same sequence of random numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Synkro

thanks,

i think what i might do is have some icons/shortcuts on my desktop pointing to 'net user' commands, then have each icon represent a new password. That way i should be able to simple click on the icon before loggin off and it would change the pwd. Do you think this would work?

Advertisement