Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambassador being tight on age

Options
  • 05-05-2005 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I knew that the Ambassador have become strict on ID for gigs, but how strict are they? I'm going to Slayer, I am 18 and have my passport, but looking at the Anthrax thread it sounded like they were being too strict and even people who were 18 could have problems.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

as long as you're 18, with valid ID & ticket, and not acting like a knob to the doormen you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You'll be grand. It's people like me who'll have problems. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

You'll be grand. It's people like me who'll have problems. :(

Are you not 18?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Gentlemen, I propose a proper petition, not a web based one. Get it signed by your folks, your friends and people at gigs. Try and get the media involved (Ireland AM seems to thrive on this sort of thing) and make your grievances known to MCD. Don't just sit here bitching about it, do something!

You will have my full support and countless others here and also talk to www.gigsmartireland.com , I think it's ****ing disgraceful that under 18's aren't allowed into gigs. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Doctor J wrote:
    Gentlemen, I propose a proper petition, not a web based one. Get it signed by your folks, your friends and people at gigs. Try and get the media involved (Ireland AM seems to thrive on this sort of thing) and make your grievances known to MCD. Don't just sit here bitching about it, do something!

You will have my full support and countless others here and also talk to www.gigsmartireland.com , I think it's ****ing disgraceful that under 18's aren't allowed into gigs. :mad:

especially those under 18's who are indeed accompanied by a responsible 21 yr old - which is what used to be the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

but when the goverment changed the law about under 18s in bars a while ago didnt all that go out the window?

the ambassador is just a big bar with a stage,
    they havent got it sectioned off likt the olympia or other places

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Doctor J wrote:
    Don't just sit here bitching about it, do something!

That's the key there Doctor... and the question is will anybody do anything abou t it?

Chalk wrote:
    but when the goverment changed the law about under 18s in bars a while ago didnt all that go out the window?

the ambassador is just a big bar with a stage,
    they havent got it sectioned off likt the olympia or other places

They have two bars, one upstairs and one downstairs. There is no reason (apart from monetary ones) for them to not allow minors upstairs only and close the bar there (as they have done on several occasions before).

I have just sent the following to Ireland Am (you never know what might happen)

"To whom it concerns

I wonder if the general public area aware of the recent, and for use of a better word, discrimination by concert promoters towards young music fans.

I am speaking primarily of the rock/heavy metal genre - where promoters such as MCD deem suitable to restrict concerts of this genre to over 18's only. There is no exception, not even for an under 18 can be accompanied into the concert by someone over 21, which used to be the case up until recently.

Granted alcohol are served at most of this concerts, but that is where ID should be requested - and any under 18 that can afford the extortionate prices venues charge for alcohol during a concert - well I would love to have his parents/part time job.

Speaking as someone, who, when I was 14/15 went to plenty of concerts which served alcohol, with no problems getting into the venue, I just think its quite sad that the majority of young fans today are going to be denyed the chance to see their favourite bands playing.

And yet if a festival is put on (which I have attended several in Ireland) - under 18s can be seen scattered throughout the crowds - even though alcohol is on sale through out the day and venue.

Is it a case of one law for one type of fan and another law for the rest of the people?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

They need to what was the norm for days of hardcore. No id. put a feaking big X on your hand in permenant marker. that way you have no chance of getting served.

Anyone agree?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I agreee that under 18's should not be allowed into gigs that serve booze, it is simply a case that there is not enough staff to check ID the only way around it would be some sort of tag that would prove age like a wristband that can only be removed by cutting. Also a lot of people dont want kids on a night out so that must be taken into account. The only other option would be an under 18 gig on another night with the bars closed.

Nice one, Ph3n0m

TCP/IP wrote:
    I agreee that under 18's should not be allowed into gigs that serve booze, it is simply a case that there is not enough staff to check ID the only way around it would be some sort of tag that would prove age like a wristband that can only be removed by cutting. Also a lot of people dont want kids on a night out so that must be taken into account. The only other option would be an under 18 gig on another night with the bars closed.

Sorry but that is absolute tosh - why do people que up at the front door of any venue - the security control the crowd on how they filter into a venue, so they can take their time checking ID and letting people in. And we are not talking about a bunch of screaming 6/7 year olds - we are talking about teenagers (like I once was) trying to experience a band first hand and live.

All the gigs I went to when I was 14/15 - I managed to survive because I couldnt afford to bloody well drink at the venues - I was there for one thing - the music

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Yes but as you can I am sure agree things have changed since then and people can afford to drink. If people were there just for the music there would be no problem but it is these days

people were able to afford the drink prices years ago too - just because I never drank in the venue doesnt mean I was never drunk

TCP/IP wrote:
    people can afford to drink.

? :confused: ?

People could always afford to drink. If MCD are unable to organise a structure for preventing minors from being served alcohol in a venue with a segragated structure then they should stop what they're doing. There is no reason for kids to be penailsed because of this country's drinking culture. Gigs are about music. If someone wants to drink, then fine, but it shouldn't be at the expense of someone who is there for the music.

Doctor J wrote:
    They have two bars, one upstairs and one downstairs. There is no reason (apart from monetary ones) for them to not allow minors upstairs only and close the bar there (as they have done on several occasions before).
    The problem with that is, that the person can not be in the pit up close. I'm seventeen and going to Slayer, if i was stuck upstairs i would be right royaly pissed off. and would probably just dive off the top. but seriously although it is a partway solution it still is a bitch for underagers

The problem with that is, that the person can not be in the pit up close. I'm seventeen and going to Slayer, if i was stuck upstairs i would be right royaly pissed off. and would probably just dive off the top. but seriously although it is a partway solution it still is a bitch for underagers

Would you rather be upstairs or outside?

would probably just dive off the top

and for that, even I would beat the everlovin' piss out of you - I've had people balconey dive onto me without warning and each time I have hurt them because they have hurt me.

Just because you aint in the pit, doesnt mean you cant enjoy a gig - when you get to my age - you will be be happy just standing at the side, and appreciating the band on stage, instead of hurling around a sweaty pit, barely able to see the band and trying to help everyone up that falls down :)

Good point. but in seats is still very different from being on the floor. with the rest of the people.

Mind you at SLF where i was 16, a security gaurd was complaining to me about all the underage people in the venue. which was funny.

hopefully i'll look old enough for Slayer anyway

• Advertisement

thats one argument for no under 18s.
    its not safe for them in the gig.

now i know you werent *too* serious about balcony diving ;)
    but if some big metallers decides to mosh the crap out of somenone and they get bruised up,
    when theyre over 18 thats their problem,
    under 18 and mammy and daddy wil be ringin the solicitior monday morning to sue the arses off the venue for not taking care of their little darling.
    thats not directed at you, just an example of the carp that happens in this countyr these days...

Thing is though you have 15 year olds who are tanks compared to some more "seasoned" gig goers, so i think that is a moot point.

As i've said: check id at door if they have id let them in. if not put a huge big permenant marker X on their hand. Then they won't be able to get booze

how is it moot?

a 15 yr old is a 15 yr old.
    parents let them out to a gig and something happens,
    venues at fault,
    especially if the kid is let in drunk / gets drink inside

Just the size thing moreso.

I really don't know, what can be done. But Slipknot is 16 so its just the Ambassador that has gotten so strict at the mo

one thing to consider is that the ambassador probably draws more attention than most places tho.
    right at the top of o'connell st, putting on more and more gigs when theyre trying to clean up the capitals main thoriughfare and all that jazz
    also theres a garda station 100 yards from the place.

theyre probably just being careful, wrt what i was saying about the bar being part of the venue, the last thing they need is a bunch of tanked up under 18s tumbling down o'connell st after the gig as the gards will jump on them,
    whether they got the booze at the bar, chugged a flagon on cathedral st or had a naggin in the ass crack.

Again using myself as an example, the list of "injuries" I recieved at concerts, before I was 18 - was quite impressive. However not once did mammy or daddy get onto the solicitor to sort it out.

My reasoning - if you are old enough to go to these concerts on your own, you are old enough to look after yourself.

And anyways anyone who thinks they can go into a moshpit and not come out even the slightest bit worse for wear - is either wearing a suit of armour or dreaming

hehe i know what you mean,
    i wasnt saying this has happened or ever will,
    but in *modern* ireland i reckon, insurance-wise a concert venue is gonna have to do some seriuos ass covering.
    just look at whats happening with skate parks and almost anything that involves under 18's taking a risk* on private proerty.

next time your talking to a shop keeper ask him what his public liabilty insurance is.

*read taking a risk as not being wrapped up in cotton wool and attached to some sort of permanent structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Chalk wrote:
    thats one argument for no under 18s.
    its not safe for them in the gig.

now i know you werent *too* serious about balcony diving ;)
    but if some big metallers decides to mosh the crap out of somenone and they get bruised up,
    when theyre over 18 thats their problem,
    under 18 and mammy and daddy wil be ringin the solicitior monday morning to sue the arses off the venue for not taking care of their little darling.
    thats not directed at you, just an example of the carp that happens in this countyr these days...
    Thats exactly what i was gonna say. gigs are over 18's not because they dotn want kids getting in and getting drunk, but because kids under 18 are an insurance risk, venues wont be covered if a minor gets injured, or something like that, and then can be sued by little jimmys parents when he gets a wallop in the mosh pit.
    Ahhh how great it is to be 25 and going to see slayer.... :D

They don't want U18s at gigs? Damn, Avril Lavigne is gonna be fairly lonely next week, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Doctor J wrote:
    They don't want U18s at gigs? Damn, Avril Lavigne is gonna be fairly lonely next week, eh?
    :D

Advertisement