Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambassador being tight on age

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I can handle myself. Nobody who's seen me is going to think I'm going to be battered around the place in a pit, realistically, unless Jonah Lomu happens to unfortunately be checking out Slayer at the same time as me. :rolleyes: I'm probably less of an insurance risk than half the over-eighteens from the point of view of "How likely is this kid to get creamed". I'm fifteen, and I'm not a security or insurance risk. What more is there to say really?

Also, if anyone wants to start a petition I'd be glad to sign it. You can PM me for an address. I'm sure I could send it to plenty of people who'd sign it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Again using myself as an example, the list of "injuries" I recieved at concerts, before I was 18 - was quite impressive. However not once did mammy or daddy get onto the solicitor to sort it out.
    If you think about it, not all parents are like yours or mine, there are parents out there who would go as far as purposefully wetting the bathroom floor of a restaurant and 'slipping' on it just to sue for the extra cash, and a bruise or scratch on their precious little jimmy mightnt be of immediate concern to them, but a chance for more money.

Again, i think the best way to do it is have underagers upstairs. Ok, its unfair for aforementioned 15-year olds who are probably bigger than me, but a venues management has to draw the line somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dellytots

Back to the Ambassador - I was ID'd at Idlewild last week, which was the first time that ever happened to me at a gig. Roddy dedicated American/English to everyone who came to the gig and the people sitting outside who couldnt get in because they were underage.

I think that would be horrible for any underage person to have saved up for the ticket, got all ready to see a band they love only to be turned away because of no ID this is mainly due to alcohol being served,which isnt their main reason for being at the venue in the first place. They can say its about safety reasons, but Ive seen the mosh pits at festivals and underage gigs...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Sure didn't some kids parents try to sue Deftones in 94 (I think), over a dislocated shoulder?

It is ridiculous, apart from the TBMC I never had trouble going to gigs when I was younger, but you could just walk in their side door - so it wasn't a big deal ;) I'd be livid if I was under 18 without what seems to be the situation now.

Unfortunately, MCD are in a win-win situation here. All they have to do is put it in small print in the ticket (which, they don't check for ID when you're buying it!), and they get your money, for well nothing! They then don't have to let you in, but they allowed the ticket to be sold to you, and wander off with your cash, and techincally don't lose money on the bar cuz you wouldn't have been buying booze anyways (in a legal sense).

So, you could work from the technical standpoint that you didn't know the gig was Over 18's only until AFTER you'd paid for your ticket, at which point you can't get a refund, and MCD just stole your money by not warning in advance you of the age-limit policy in place. (I'd imagine they're more likely to find some way of accomadating you then, MCD being the money grabbing bastards that they are would not even consider handing out refunds!)

If someone gets a petition going I'll fully support it. That said, if you want something done, YOU HAVE TO START IT YOURSELVES. Those over 18 will fully support you 100% I am sure, but you can't sit around waiting for people who this doesn't really effect to start the complaining for you! :D That said, the more people, the better the atmosphere (usually).

Would I need a license or anything stupidly beaurocratic to have a public signing at the Central Bank or somewhere? I might ask the people in Musicmaker could I have the petition signed there or something. Anyone got ideas? I really want to start this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

For Stairway to Zeppelin, I got my cousin into the Ambassador no problems. We came in right at the end of the queue though.

She's 15, and I am 18. A great night was had.

If you just try to blend in in the queue. Or make friends with some 25 year olds while your standing around you should be able to get in okay.

Hope you do get in because as the lads have been saying its ridicoulous taht it'd be otherwise.

It's only been happening since February, since the Megadeth gig, and it seems pretty tough. I'm going with a bunch of adults but if they ID me, all I'm going to have is a scanned passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

It's only been happening since February, since the Megadeth gig, and it seems pretty tough. I'm going with a bunch of adults but if they ID me, all I'm going to have is a scanned passport.

and if they refuse you, you have nothing to argue about - the tickets say strictly over 18's. And much as I would like to say have a great time at the gig, chances are if you are stopped, you aint going to get in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

And chances are, you'll be stopped :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Ah lads, don't be so negitive. If you're going in with adults, or people who look of age, you'll be grand. Bouncers can sense fear. Just stop worrying and try to look forward to the gig and you's'll be grand.

• Advertisement

Jesjes wrote:
    Ah lads, don't be so negitive. If you're going in with adults, or people who look of age, you'll be grand. Bouncers can sense fear. Just stop worrying and try to look forward to the gig and you's'll be grand.

sorry its absolutely nowt to do with who you are with - the bouncers are taking a much closer look at everyone. If they are remotely suspicious about your age, they will ask for ID.

It is not meant to be negative in away, just being realistic - with the amount of disappointed under 18s that were refused entry for Anthrax, it is only to serve as a warning to anyone attending what is marked down as a "strictly over 18s gig"

and as for that "sense fear", what next bouncers with jedi mind powers?

The same thing happened at Idlewild the week before, so it's nothing to do with Metal bands or genre, it appears to be due to licencing and they are taking it very seriously, so I echo what Ph3n0m said.

I get that lads, I do. I am just saying, if they are suspicious of your age, it could be cause you look worried and shifty!

Underagers should totally be allowed go supervised. But if these lads are gonna try get in regardless, as they've bought their tickets, the best advice is chill or the bouncers will get all jedi on your ass.

If they are suspicious of your age it's more likely because you look young.

I agree entirely that supervised underagers should be allowed in, but the situation at the moment is that looking young yet keeping cool won't get you in. They are taking it seriously, going on the two gigs I've been to there in the last two weeks.

I don't look that young but I imagine I'll still get ID'd.

Does anyone think a scanned passport'll work? Going on the basis that I don't drive, so I don't have a license, and I don't drink, so I don't have an age card, and I'm not bringing my actual passport to a gig. It's a fairly comprehensive story unless they decide that they just don't want to let me in. Any advice? Opinions? Recommendations? I intend doing a damn good job on the passport though, not some petty ten minute job where the fake numbers are crooked. :rolleyes:

Based on years of experience this is what you can expect

If you look old enough, you wont be ID'd at all

If you look babyfaced or young, you will be asked for valid ID

Scanned in documents will not be allowed - I have never seen any bouncer/security accept scanned-in documents unless you happen to be a busty young maiden

The only documents I have personally seen bouncers accept are drivers licence, real passports and occasionally gardai ID

Also one thing I would add is that if you were glasses - take them off - for some reason glasses do appear to make people look younger!

Failing all that, I really dont know what else to say, then good luck - and I hope you youngsters do get in - gigs like this always slay :)

Heh... Slayer, slay... :p

I'll be wearing contacts on the night. I'm not small, so it'll be question of whether my face gets me through or not I suppose. Unfortunately, I am not a busty young maiden, so that's out the window. Doubtless some of you will see me there, probably not being let in. Whether you recognise me or not is a different story. The scanned passport is a slim hope if I'm ID'd. Would I be better off making a show of looking for my ID and pretending I've forgotten it?

You'd be better off frowning and saying "ID? What ID? I haven't been asked that in years. I'm 28!" :)

It'll be tricky enough to pull off eighteen or nineteen, never mind twenty eight! :p I take it you're going then Doc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I agree that it is an absoloutly ridiculous rule.
    That drink fans take priority over music fans at a concert.

I've alwasy been big for my age and even when I was underage I didn't have trouble getting in, though I thought it was ****e to see obvious fans get refused.

Alot of the time it seems to be down to the security gaurds.
    Most of the ones I've come across have been sound and understanding to kids in this situation and let them on through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Doctor J wrote:
    They have two bars, one upstairs and one downstairs. There is no reason (apart from monetary ones) for them to not allow minors upstairs only and close the bar there (as they have done on several occasions before).
    Ah yes. This happened in the Fear Factory gig. The first 100 over 18's got their hand stamped, and you can go up to have a drink, at your leasure. Also, you could get a nice front seat, and have a nice view.
    TCP/IP wrote:
    I agreee that under 18's should not be allowed into gigs that serve booze, it is simply a case that there is not enough staff to check ID
    I think the complaint is that the Ambassador does it for some gigs, but not others, even though they have the facility to do so.
    Chalk wrote:
    thats one argument for no under 18s.
    its not safe for them in the gig.
    Fear Factory gig: to the left, small kids, standing. To the right, mosh pit. No small kids in the mosh pit.
    Ph3n0m wrote:
    Again using myself as an example, the list of "injuries" I recieved at concerts, before I was 18 - was quite impressive. However not once did mammy or daddy get onto the solicitor to sort it out.
    Back then, how many people were brought to court over the sale of drink to the little people?
    Ph3n0m wrote:
    what next bouncers with jedi mind powers?
    They get recruited by the US. Linkie
    so I don't have an age card
    It takes about 3 weeks to get an age card (it gets posted out to you). Its 4 weeks till the concert. My advise: bring your birth cert down to the garda station (they need a copy). Who cares if you don't drink. Its cheaper than losing a passport, I'd say. Also, if you say you need it soonish, as proof of ID for a concert, they may give you a estimate on how long it'll take.
    That drink fans take priority over music fans at a concert.
    In a nightclub, after you pay in, how does the owner generate money? By selling booze. Gigs are no different.

=-=

Bottom line, booze = money. No booze, and not much money is made. If you say minors/little people will buy fizzy drinks, my answer is: if this was the case, why isn't there many (purely) underage events? Because there's no interest, or because not enough money can be made purely off the tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

In a nightclub, after you pay in, how does the owner generate money? By selling booze. Gigs are no different.

=-=

Bottom line, booze = money. No booze, and not much money is made. If you say minors/little people will buy fizzy drinks, my answer is: if this was the case, why isn't there many (purely) underage events? Because there's no interest, or because not enough money can be made purely off the tickets?

I know that this is the case, I just disagree with it as the whole idea of the gig is to go see a show, if one was out on the tear they should go to a pub, not a concert.

the_syco wrote:
    It takes about 3 weeks to get an age card (it gets posted out to you). Its 4 weeks till the concert. My advise: bring your birth cert down to the garda station (they need a copy). Who cares if you don't drink. Its cheaper than losing a passport, I'd say. Also, if you say you need it soonish, as proof of ID for a concert, they may give you a estimate on how long it'll take.

You've missed the point entirely. I'm fifteen. I was stating an idea of how to talk my way through the bouncers.

Advertisement